No new Nexus this year?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
that has got to be the worst rumor of 2016.

unfortunately, I kind of agree with it. The last few Nexus phones have been disappointing. Nexus phones should be the top-of-the-line Android phones, with the ability to demonstrate the best features of Android. Unfortunately, that usually only happens with Samsung's flagship phones.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Google makes tons of money. Tons. But they are a publicly traded company with responsibilities to it's shareholders. And the Nexus line of phones can't possibly make them any money.

Everyone has heard of Google. Outside of the people on this board, and other techy people, the average person has no idea what a Nexus is.....Hell, I'm typing this on my Nexus and I guarantee you that my wife laying next to me couldn't tell what phone this is. And in my opinion, that's not sustainable to the shareholders.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The last few Nexus phones have been disappointing.

Uhm... could you please read every review of the Nexus 6P and tell me if it's "disappointing"? The 6 was also highly regarded - it was just too big. The 5X to this day remains an excellent value proposition. What world are you living in that universally considers the past few Nexus devices as disappointments?

This is literally the most random website with 0 reputation in finding real information regarding Android devices. On top of that Google CEO Sundar Pichai has even talked about the future of Nexus program at the Recode Conference earlier this summer. This is on top of the fact that Google has repeatedly stated that it is committed to the Nexus program over the years.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Google makes tons of money. Tons. But they are a publicly traded company with responsibilities to it's shareholders. And the Nexus line of phones can't possibly make them any money.

Everyone has heard of Google. Outside of the people on this board, and other techy people, the average person has no idea what a Nexus is.....Hell, I'm typing this on my Nexus and I guarantee you that my wife laying next to me couldn't tell what phone this is. And in my opinion, that's not sustainable to the shareholders.

The net cost of producing a Nexus device is negligible to Google. They adopt a half-recycled design from an OEM, alter it a bit and then the hardware partner manufactures them. There is barely any advertising for a Nexus device and so the cost is minimal to not only Google but the OEM building the phone(s).

You're also forgetting one important detail - it's fundamental that developers have a stock Android device that gets updates directly from Google so that they can develop apps that use the latest APIs in order to maintain compatibility with the most up to date version of Android as well as the versions prior. Developers need a development platform and Nexus devices fulfill that need.

It would be nice if you could inform yourself on a topic before making comments on it.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice if you could inform yourself on a topic before making comments on it.

Was that last sentence above necessary? I was simply stating an opinion to a rumor. And unless you sit on Google's board or a shareholder, what you are stating too is an opinion.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
That same website posted the following article a day earlier, claiming the phones would launch in October. The link in the OP makes no mention of the previous article at all. It also states its headline issue, that the 2016 Nexus line has been canceled, with absolutely no citation or backing info.

However, the upcoming launching of Nexus Marlin and Sailfish which are supposed to have the first MR of Android N is rumored to have been cancelled.

That's it. That's their whole evidence that it's been canceled, because "rumors." The only two links in this clickbait bit of trash have nothing to do with the Nexus line being canceled.

tl;dr: Rumor, and a very poorly sourced one at that. Complete clickbait.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Things that Google executives have stated in the recent past confirm that the Nexus program isn't going anywhere. That is not an opinion.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
so what is this Android Central article posted today really saying? :(

The end of Nexus: This year's Google phones to forge new path | Android Central

I just pray to God that Google doesn't use some ridiculous name like "Play Phone" or "Googphone"

After all these years, I still dislike the name "Play Store" which is just ridiculous and makes it sound unprofessional.

Article in the original post says release dates are canceled. AC says those phones will come out but not as "Nexus" phone.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll just throw this out here--noting only that the source, this time, is AC...

The end of Nexus: This year's Google phones to forge new path

That doesn't mean that the Nexus program is over. The only thing this suggests is that the phones might not be Nexus branded, but instead Google branded.

Furthermore the link from the OP implies that a device from Google and a hardware partner (the current definition of a Nexus device) won't be released, which has absolutely no basis in reality.

Even today Nexus phones are not pure "vanilla” Android. It's Google Android with the relevant apps preinstalled such as the Google Now Launcher and Chrome.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't mean that the Nexus program is over. The only thing this suggests is that the phones might not be Nexus branded, but instead Google branded.

Possible names:

"Play Phone"
"Pixel Phone"
"Google Phone"
"Fi Phone"
"Google Fi Phone" (Goofi Phone for short)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair