Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wireless Charging Pad for nexus 4 leaks out

The upcoming Nexus 4 is rumored to include wireless charging, and today a supposed picture of the charging pad leaked out. The photo was first posted on Pocket Now who admits this could be an elaborate fake, but we thought it looked pretty cool and it was worth sharing. Google will announce their new Android devices on October 29th, so we dont have much longer to wait. What do you think about the slanted design of this wireless charging pad?
    Wireless charging pad for Nexus 4 leaks out | Android and Me
    Thanked by:
    hodan 

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts

Default Re: Wireless Charging Pad for nexus 4 leaks out

Hmm wonder what the size of that thing is. Looks a bit like it'll be like the touchstone charging with a magnet where you have to position it right rather than what we saw from the SG3 where its just a mat that you can lay devices on.

Interesting none the less, srsly cannot wait. 3 more days!
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I use my phone as my alarm clock at night, I need a landscape dock.

ROM
    CM9 RC1

Also looks like they took off the top half of the Nexus Q

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

If this is indeed a real product and not just another photoshopped hoax, I'd like to see the actual dimensions on it. This thing looks pretty big, and appears to be at a weird angle. I'd rather have something flat with a low profile. Something I can just toss my phone on and not worry about positioning.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcsugrue View Post
    If this is indeed a real product and not just another photoshopped hoax, I'd like to see the actual dimensions on it. This thing looks pretty big, and appears to be at a weird angle. I'd rather have something flat with a low profile. Something I can just toss my phone on and not worry about positioning.
    I agree.....I'd wake up in the morning and my Palm Pre randomly stops charging because of placement or whatever the case may be. I am hoping technology has gotten better since then because I'd love to stop fishing for my stupid wire every night.

Someone does make a good point though that with that sorta angle you can use it as a clock or radio or whatever while its on charger a lot better. If its a flat surface that wouldn't rly work out.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Can someone tell me the reason people like wireless charging so much? This seems like a disadvantage to me...

I often use my phone as it charges and picking it up to text or whatever would stop the charging with a wireless charger...

Quote Originally Posted by quamdar View Post
    Can someone tell me the reason people like wireless charging so much? This seems like a disadvantage to me...

I often use my phone as it charges and picking it up to text or whatever would stop the charging with a wireless charger...
    Imagine placing one of these on your desk and just being able to place phone down and pick up whenever you need to to use it without worrying about messing up your micro USB port on your phone. I think this is the major draw for me as I notice too much playing with your phone on charge can cause your micro USB port to become lose and your phone can no longer charge.

Ok everyone has mentioned the similarities of this inductive charging scheme to the Palm Pre's. My question is do you guys think that it is possible that the old palm Touchstone docks will work with the N4? Most people probably won't care but as a previous Pre user I still have 3 or 4 of those touchstone docks floating around somewhere and if they were directly compatible that would definitely be a huge plus for me.

To everyone who asks what the point of an inductive charger is, you have obviously never used an inductive charged Palm device. It's definitely not necessary but it is just freakin cool. It charges just as fast as being plugged in but it is effortless. Honestly as silly as it sounds that is still one of the biggest things that I miss from my Pre and I have been dying to get that feature back again someday.
    ... but I still miss WebOS

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slow_S10 View Post
    Ok everyone has mentioned the similarities of this inductive charging scheme to the Palm Pre's. My question is do you guys think that it is possible that the old palm Touchstone docks will work with the N4? Most people probably won't care but as a previous Pre user I still have 3 or 4 of those touchstone docks floating around somewhere and if they were directly compatible that would definitely be a huge plus for me.

To everyone who asks what the point of an inductive charger is, you have obviously never used an inductive charged Palm device. It's definitely not necessary but it is just freakin cool. It charges just as fast as being plugged in but it is effortless. Honestly as silly as it sounds that is still one of the biggest things that I miss from my Pre and I have been dying to get that feature back again someday.
    Check out the other thread...Wireless Charging

Seems like it might be possible the Pre TS will work with it. But its not quite confirmed, at least no where I have found.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post

Seems like it might be possible the Pre TS will work with it. But its not quite confirmed, at least no where I have found.
    That would be awesome, I have quite a few of those still laying around.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

I hope I can use my old touchstone. That thing mocks me with its 3 year old technology sitting there with nothing to do on my desk...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcsugrue View Post
    This is real: Google's Wireless Charging Orb for Nexus 4 takes inspiration from Palm's Touchstone | The Verge

Nice, uh... what's powering the charger? Notice the lack of a cord?

The fact they're using an open standard (Qi) suggests we'll be able to buy third party chargers. Yay for that.
    [SIZE="1"]Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb).

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Nice, uh... what's powering the charger? Notice the lack of a cord?

The fact they're using an open standard (Qi) suggests we'll be able to buy third party chargers. Yay for that.
    There is a cord they just not showing it in the demos for aesthetic purposes.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    There is a cord they just not showing it in the demos for aesthetic purposes.
    Like Photoshopped Kardashian magazine covers. :P

I kinda hoped it was a wireless-wireless charger.... Now that would be neat.
    [SIZE="1"]Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb).

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Lol their would be no need for the charger if you could wirelessily power the charger then why not power the phone.

Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Lol their would be no need for the charger if you could wirelessily power the charger then why not power the phone.

Some terrible feng shui.
    Zee

Global Posts
    656 Global Posts

Default Wireless Charging Pad for nexus 4 leaks out

Solar powered phone -- believe!!!
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    ROM
    Team XRON; Sense or Aosp

Tesla generators for our phones.. lofl
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Phil said the Touchstone will not work in one of his threads with questions, fire away.....
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

How long will it take to fully charge? anyone heard anything?

the material is quite frictive and in contrast to the glass there's no way its going to slide off

Quote Originally Posted by jbmeicher View Post
    the material is quite frictive and in contrast to the glass there's no way its going to slide off
    My understanding, and no I can't corroborate this unless I watch The Verge's interview with Matias Duarte again (he demoed a mockup), is that the Nexus Qi (wireless) charger is lightly magnetized so the phone sort of stays on it even if you nudge it. My conjecture is that it's designed so you can watch Daydreams, clock, or your agenda, while it's sitting there. Hopefully it doesn't preempt screen lock as that would be a security risk in the workplace.