iPhone-like bumpers confirmed for Nexus 4 by Google employee - possible pictures

shaunmclane

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This isn't incredibly hot news, but it does answer a question I had. In the Wired's N4 review, the phone look entirely too purple, and a few commenters asked about it. A few days ago, a Google employee confirmed the N4 would be getting bumpers, but the comment has been removed. Now the Wired's photos make sense. Looks like a bumper is on the phone, but aside from the color, it actually looks pretty nice. Very tight fitting. This post has the original details and a link to the Wired review. Nexus 4 Bumpers Confirmed [Possible Photos] | Breaking Nexus

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
I am not allowed to post pictures as they can be traced back to me, Google has a very strict policy about these things for us. I have seen 6 different color bumpers so far.

EDIT: On second look at those pics it does appear to not have the bumper on it, however the bumpers do exist and they to me are very similar to the iphone4 bumper's. No word on availability as of yet.

Last edited:

shaunmclane

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Is it flimsy? Or a hard type rubber? I've never felt one on an iPhone before, but I used to have something similar around my old blackberry and I hated it. Collected dust, slid off phone, and was just a pain most of the time.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I hope they sell a regular case also. I still would like some protection for the back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I am not allowed to post pictures as they can be traced back to me, Google has a very strict policy about these things for us. But the pictures in the link above are accurate, mine is black though. That one appears to be purple, but they are made in like 6 colors that I have seen.

Thanks for keeping us updated, much appreciated

Hope these are available on launch day

Is it a tougher TPU and does it give a "lay on table" design?

Ptrm

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am not allowed to post pictures as they can be traced back to me, Google has a very strict policy about these things for us. But the pictures in the link above are accurate, mine is black though. That one appears to be purple, but they are made in like 6 colors that I have seen.

How are they in protecting the phone if it drops?

vietmode

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Is that an actual bumper? To me it doesn't even look like a bumper is on there, since it doesn't add any bulk at all. usually bumpers cover the buttons up but in the picture the buttons seem to stick out the same as here: http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites...550h500/postimages/684/lg-nexus4-review-5.jpg with no bumper? im thinking that it may appear purple-ish maybe due to the room? cause the white background it was taken on kind of reflect purple also.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Is that an actual bumper? To me it doesn't even look like a bumper is on there, since it doesn't add any bulk at all. usually bumpers cover the buttons up but in the picture the buttons seem to stick out the same as here: http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites...550h500/postimages/684/lg-nexus4-review-5.jpg with no bumper?

not all bumpers have buttons

you can see in the pic that there is a cutout for the volume buttons

hope google guy here in the forums can give us a little "first impression" on the bumper he has

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Is that an actual bumper? To me it doesn't even look like a bumper is on there, since it doesn't add any bulk at all. usually bumpers cover the buttons up but in the picture the buttons seem to stick out the same as here: http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites...550h500/postimages/684/lg-nexus4-review-5.jpg with no bumper? im thinking that it may appear purple-ish maybe due to the room? cause the white background it was taken on kind of reflect purple also.

You're probably right. There's a real purple hue in that entire background of that pic so it's probably just a picture effect. Look at the phone here in Phil's meaty hand, it looks like a slightly different colour on the top there and could also be mistaken for a bumper.

lg-nexus4-review-23.jpg