Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 Accessories - External Battery

This will be my first android phone with a nonremovable battery. I was skeptacle, but the phone seems incredible, so many people do it with other phones, and I also realized how much I actually NEVER have my phone being charged that I can take advantage of. But in addition, I see others using an external battery and it seems like the way I want to go.

I see many lists, and many popular ones. I see Energizer ones, Mobi ones in ATT, ones in Tmobile, but the ones I see on the web and in the forums being used a lot and highly recommended are Amzer and Newtrent. The Newtrent seems to be used more and be better. More refined looking, So I am leaning to NewTrent.

So here are some general questions AND specific ones to ask you about the external batteries (any one of them or all you can answer is appreciated):

There are different amount of amps, usually 1 or 2? Is that the amount of power the battery gives your phone at a given period. I believe most phones take 1, correct. Tablets, 2A. But the phones should be ok using the 2A, I read?

In asking newtrent customer service, when I told him I wanted the best package of size and power for the money, he immediately said the:

IMP52D This looked to be the best, small, can charge 3 times. It has a usb charge...but It lasts 3 times
    IMP1000 12000mAh. This seems the best now. Yes, it is charged via A/C and they say it is not as flexible as usb. But it is safer. And this is only a tad bigger, and it will charge the phone 6 times
    IMP99D
    NT120T

In Amzer, I am looking at:
    http://www.ianker.com/Anker-Astro-10...17&line_id=114

Could anyone give me their preference of the ones above, given that you know them. I would prefer everyone not give me a different one not here and get even more confused more, but I realize if I ask for help, that is what may happen

If you know the newtrent, are there any that can charge via USB AND A/C?

Thanks everyone I also sent an email to Newtrent for their help

Global Posts
    584 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Default Re: Nexus 4 Accessories - External Battery

Subscribed, I'll need one of these as well. waiting for opinions. (Your Amzer link seems broken though.)
    N5 Black 32GB (4.4.4), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5 (ios 8), ONE+64GB, N7(5.0 "L") AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

The higher the amps, the faster it will charge your battery. Tablets usually have higher amps because they have bigger batteries and you don't want to wait all day for it to charge.

2A should be fine for the Nexus 4.

No!!!!!!! You'll brick your N4 if you use a 2A charger, the charging circuit inside modern cellphones is designed to accept 900mA-1A at 5V. If you supply 2A, that's double the circuit can handle.
    Google Nexus 5 - Straight Talk
    Previously - Nexus 4 | Motorola Atrix 4G | ...and various others

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

Quote Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
    No!!!!!!! You'll brick your N4 if you use a 2A charger, the charging circuit inside modern cellphones is designed to accept 900mA-1A at 5V. If you supply 2A, that's double the circuit can handle.
    You will not brick your Nexus by using a 2A charger. The phone will limit the current if it can't handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    Nonsense. Electricity 101, the device will only draw what it is designed to draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by HAAS599 View Post
    You will not brick your Nexus by using a 2A charger. The phone will limit the current if it can't handle it.
    I'll wait for the results once you guys have tested a 2A charger! lol... It is too much to type for me, but anyone interested in knowing about chargers should read this: Ken Shirriff's blog: A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best. Its a little technical, but will help most non-techies out there.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

I'll wait for the results once you guys have tested a 2A charger! lol... It is too much to type for me, but anyone interested in knowing about chargers should read this: Ken Shirriff's blog: A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best. Its a little technical, but will help most non-techies out there.
    I don't think the linked article supports your theory but it is a good read about the quality of knock-off chargers.

AC did a piece awhile back about using a 1.8A Blackberry charger.
    Accessory Tip: BlackBerry Premium Charger rapid-charges Android phones, too | Android Central

I don't think the linked article supports your theory but it is a good read about the quality of knock-off chargers.

AC did a piece awhile back about using a 1.8A Blackberry charger.
    Accessory Tip: BlackBerry Premium Charger rapid-charges Android phones, too | Android Central
    As AC have pointed out, if the phone supports rapid charging, then you may be able to use a 2A charger. But remember, fast charging the battery also reduces its overall longevity. Its always better to stick with what the phone manufacturer advises, after all they have designed the phone and its charging circuit

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

As AC have pointed out, if the phone supports rapid charging, then you may be able to use a 2A charger. But remember, fast charging the battery also reduces its overall longevity. Its always better to stick with what the phone manufacturer advises, after all they have designed the phone and its charging circuit
    Your new advice is a lot different from "ZOMG NO!!!!!!!! YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!"

Whether your phone supports rapid charging or not, you can use a 2A charger. Here is a direct quote from the article - "Not every phone will allow for rapid charging, but for the ones that do you'll be glad you have a charger that takes advantage of it (and no, you won't damage your phone even if it doesn't make use of the higher amperage)."

The possible longevity reduction isn't enough, IMO, to worry about.
    Last edited by HAAS599; 11-16-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

My house and office are littered with BlackBerry PlayBook chargers. I use them to charge everything with a micro usb. I have since the PlayBook first came out, I haven't encountered and ill effects. My phone's battery has been charged by a PlayBook charger every single day for the last year. It still holds a charge.

Meh, I'll keep using my PlayBook chargers.

- - - Updated - - -

My house and office are littered with BlackBerry PlayBook chargers. I use them to charge everything with a micro usb. I have since the PlayBook first came out, I haven't encountered and ill effects. My phone's battery has been charged by a PlayBook charger every single day for the last year. It still holds a charge.

Meh, I'll keep using my PlayBook chargers.

The current referred to is the amount that the charger can supply. The current actually used is dependent on the device using it. i.e. the device 'draws' current as required.

Not true. The current is controlled by the phone, not the charger.