Qi Chargers for the Nexus 4

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
is it truly wireless or is there a wire? im reading conflicting things. http://cdn04.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/google-charging-orb.jpg

I'm assuming the orb will have a wire going from the back of it to your wall outlet and the picture above is just a demo and wasn't actually charging the device.

Your comment did spark an idea. I think it would be cool if there was a battery inside the orb that would charge the device even if it wasn't plugged in. It would be very handy.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming the orb will have a wire going from the back of it to your wall outlet and the picture above is just a demo and wasn't actually charging the device.

Your comment did spark an idea. I think it would be cool if there was a battery inside the orb that would charge the device even if it wasn't plugged in. It would be very handy.

yea i was confused about this because every time I saw it, I never saw it with a wire. Do all the other ones above have wires?

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
yea i was confused about this because every time I saw it, I never saw it with a wire. Do all the other ones above have wires?

Yes.

I'm not familiar with any Qi charger that doesn't need plugged into a power source. They are only "wireless" in the sense that you don't need to plug any wires into your device to charge it.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... Your comment did spark an idea. I think it would be cool if there was a battery inside the orb that would charge the device even if it wasn't plugged in. It would be very handy.
Give it time, someone will come up with a portable Qi charger which you don't need to plug in to charge the mobile device. But ... the process of wirelessly charging no doubt costs some energy itself, so the amount of total charge(s) you get from such a device might be reduced. It WOULD be handy for airline flights, to simply set your phone on the thing, on the tray, no cords, and watch a video or play a game for an hour or two, without taking the battery down to nothing before you descend to your destination.....

kjmitch

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
With the Energizer single station unit being discontinued there is a complete lack of an economical Qi solution that doesn't have a terrible flaw (like loud beeping).

skippyrulzzz

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
got my nokia plate today... it was back on ebay within 5 minutes, unfortunately. as everyone has reported, it cycles on and off. i really don't get it though. the pillow supposedly works, and all that is is this plate stuffed into a cloth sack. i thought maybe the phone was sliding around because of the little ring in the middle, but i put my trusty mouse pad thingy on top of it and still cycled. ugh.

bjorken

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
FWIW I picked up an LG-made Verizon-branded charging pad today at a local Verizon store. Came out to about $55 with tax. There was a demo unit out, so I popped my Nexus 4 on there and confirmed that it worked before buying. It does "feature" the annoying beeping mentioned above. Not planning on using in bedroom though.

ronislike

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I have received an Energizer mat and can confirm that it does indeed work with no hiccups. Only problem is that the glass back makes the phone very slippery on the matte-like finish on the Mat. Until I figure out a way to make it stay it's pretty much a nuisance and not usable.

skippyrulzzz

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I have received an Energizer mat and can confirm that it does indeed work with no hiccups. Only problem is that the glass back makes the phone very slippery on the matte-like finish on the Mat. Until I figure out a way to make it stay it's pretty much a nuisance and not usable.

I cut a piece of mousepad and doubleside taped it along the bottom. works great.

Attachments

• 2012-11-22 21.13.11.jpg
    2012-11-22 21.13.11.jpg
    683.6 KB · Views: 106

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Try one of those Sticky Pad car dashboard holders for phones, mp3 players.

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I just picked the LG one up at the Verizon store for forty bucks. It's not that loud. If need be I'll just take out the speaker

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I just picked the LG one up at the Verizon store for forty bucks. It's not that loud. If need be I'll just take out the speaker

i found a thread on XDA that explained how to disable the speaker. It took about 10-15 min but now charges the phone with no beep. loving it so far!

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
i found a thread on XDA that explained how to disable the speaker. It took about 10-15 min but now charges the phone with no beep. loving it so far!

So far it's only beeped the one time when I put the phone on it. Fully charged and still on the pad... waiting for more beeps and nothing.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
So far it's only beeped the one time when I put the phone on it. Fully charged and still on the pad... waiting for more beeps and nothing.

if that is true i would recommend not removing the speaker. i didnt notice it at first, but when the phone is not on it charging there is a very faint clicking noise makes me worried i messed up a circuit or something during the surgery. Once you place the phone on to charge it stops though. pretty annoying.

Can you see if your charger does the same when plugged in with no phone on it?

I am likely going to buy the official nexus charger once it comes out though.

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm not going to mess with the innards since it's not beeping... The clicking is there on mine as well but I almost have to put my ear on it to even notice. It also clicks with the phone on it but that's at a full charge. Imma going to run the battery a bit to see if it clicks while actually charging. That's so low I'd never notice it.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm not going to mess with the innards since it's not beeping... The clicking is there on mine as well but I almost have to put my ear on it to even notice. It also clicks with the phone on it but that's at a full charge. Imma going to run the battery a bit to see if it clicks while actually charging. That's so low I'd never notice it.

ah! I suspected that it may just be the way the charger works. If yours is doing it too then I am glad I disabled the speaker. Mine definitely stops clicking when the phone is charging so it isnt going to be a problem since every time i am in the room i am going to have my phone sitting on it.