Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

Default SlimPort Adapters for the Nexus 4

Analogix SlimPort Adapter

If anyone has purchased one of these, please share your thoughts. From the looks of the video, this will have virtually no lag. I plan on getting one in the coming weeks to use for gaming. This seems to be a better option than Miracast for putting content on the TV at the moment as it's cheaper and will charge your phone.

Default Re: SlimPort Adapters for the Nexus 4

so it looks like that, just like MHL, you have to keep the screen on when using this? '

it's nice to be able to use Slimport without being plugged into a power source, which you couldn't do with MHL. however, without being able to turn off the screen the battery will drain far too rapidly to take full advantage of this feature.

does anyone know if miracast requires the N4 screen to be on as well? if it doesn't i think i know which connective technology i'll be investing in (miracast).

has anyone used a slimport with their Nexus 4?

the price in the UK was 19.95 pounds but it just got jacked up to 24 pounds for some reason (it's still $30 in the U.S.).

i also emailed the company to confirm whether the screen had to be on while it was in use and never heard back.

hmm...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    Wait... what? Your gonna hang this huge dongle from your Nexus' micro-USB, connect an HDMI cable to it and then game with it?

I don't see your phone's port lasting very long unless you woof up some kind of mount/bracket with a good strain relief (not only for your phone's port, but for the HDMI connection as well due to their notorious nature of breaking down under almost any kind of stress).

Hate to be a downer but I am just looking out for your phone.
    PS3 controller says "Hi!"

I should have been more specific. I plan to use it for "hardcore" Android games and emulators. Casual stuff will not be leaving the small screen.

I saw an app on XDA that looks handy for someone that has either a MHL or a SlimPort adapter. I was a little bummed to learn the screen had to be on to mirror through the SlimPort. An app called Screen Standby solves this problem. It turns off the screen while keeping the phone from going to sleep. It requires root and its free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....screenstandby
    Last edited by HAAS599; 11-28-2012 at 05:22 PM.

i ordered it, should be here by Friday. i'll provide a non-gaming review (audio and video is what I plan to use it for).
    Thanked by 2:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

Anandtech did a review of SlimPort with the Nexus 4 and gave it a thumbs up.

AnandTech - Hands on with the Analogix SlimPort microUSB to HDMI and VGA adapters