nexus4case.jpg

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I bought this :

FlexiShield Skin For Google LG Nexus 4 - Clear

As there weren't any others at the time. Seems pretty good :

http://www.pjitsolutions.co.uk/pics/share/nexus4case.jpg

That looks good. I'm also wonder if the Kay's case has a good level of protection. It looks like there will be serious delays in receiving the Iconic Guardian case that I order back in November due to customs issues, and the Ballistic case is out of stock. I just need SOMETHING, and I need it ASAP, until a supercase like an Otterbox Defender is released.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
That looks good. I'm also wonder if the Kay's case has a good level of protection. It looks like there will be serious delays in receiving the Iconic Guardian case that I order back in November due to customs issues, and the Ballistic case is out of stock. I just need SOMETHING, and I need it ASAP, until a supercase like an Otterbox Defender is released.

I've noticed some reviews of Kay's cases complaining of branding slapped on the case. It seems random, however. Personally I just ordered a cheapie TPU case for now. Had been planning on going naked, but I've discovered I'm somewhat paranoid about what surface I put the phone down on without anything on the back (except the plastic it came with). Thought about the bumper case, but I'm not dropping $26 (after shipping) on something so minimal, thanks. At least, not without some proof it's actually worth it.

AtomicFrost

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I tested wireless charging using the Otterbox Commuter case for my GSIII. The Nexus 4 will charge on my Energizer pad with the inner rubber sleeve on the phone, but does not charge after the hard outer shell is added.

Sent from my Nexus 4

That doesn't sound promising fro rugged cases and wireless charging.

I got this email back from Ballistic cases about wireless charging:
Thank you for your interest is Ballistic cases. Our Ballistic SG cases for the Nexus 4 will not block the NFC and it should not interfere with the wireless charging. If we can assist you with anything further in the future please feel free to contact us.

It will be interesting to see if they are correct about that. I have this nagging feeling though that as in your case the thickness/material of the case will prevent wireless charging from working.

To answer the original question proposed by the topic creator:

Sadly, it seems that we will have to choose between protecting the phone and the feel or using the phone / the convenience of wireless charging.

IMO there aren't that many viable cases out there for this phone to protect it from a killer drop.

The vast majority of the cases I see are of the hard plastic shell type, bumpers, large rugged cases, or the very thin soft plastic type.

The hard plastic shell type are only worth buying if you are looking to change the look of the phone, prevent scratches, and make it a bit easier to grip. Other than that they won't protect it in a fall, and that is where the phone needs protection the most. For me these types of cases really aren't worth buying because I worry more about phone killing impacts than minor scratches.

The thin TPU cases are a bit better than the hard plastic shell type. They also protect the phone's back against scratches, and make it a bit easier to grip. However, they also add a small amount of shock protection due to them being soft / able to absorb a bit of impact. This is good if you drop it squarely on its back, but these cases don't provide much / any corner impact protection.

The bumper case from Google is an interesting choice. It adds little bulk, decent full face drop protection, and it won't interfere with wireless charging. The main problem with this case is that the back is fully exposed so no scratch protection, and there is very little / no corner drop protection. The big problem I have with this case is the lack of corner protection. Almost every cell phone drop I see has the device landing on a corner first. This bumper case won't protect the phone from that.

The best protection type are the ruggedized hybrid cases like Otterbox / Ballistic. These types of cases have a thick silicone layer with a hard plastic layer. Cases like the Ballistic shell gel provide a lot of protection from drop damage due to the large amount of material on the corners. The only problem with these types of cases is the added bulk, and in the case of Nexus 4 possible loss of wireless charging ability. :(

So, to answer the topic's question: It depends on what you are looking for in a case.

You really have to pick between:

Good drop protection, scratch protection on the back, good grip, but bulky, possible loss of wireless charging.

or

Little to no drop protection, good grip, slim, wireless charging should work.

I myself am actively trying to make the decision before I get mine. :)

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't sound promising fro rugged cases and wireless charging.

I got this email back from Ballistic cases about wireless charging:

It will be interesting to see if they are correct about that. I have this nagging feeling though that as in your case the thickness/material of the case will prevent wireless charging from working.

To answer the original question proposed by the topic creator:

Sadly, it seems that we will have to choose between protecting the phone and the feel or using the phone / the convenience of wireless charging.

IMO there aren't that many viable cases out there for this phone to protect it from a killer drop.

The vast majority of the cases I see are of the hard plastic shell type, bumpers, large rugged cases, or the very thin soft plastic type.

The hard plastic shell type are only worth buying if you are looking to change the look of the phone, prevent scratches, and make it a bit easier to grip. Other than that they won't protect it in a fall, and that is where the phone needs protection the most. For me these types of cases really aren't worth buying because I worry more about phone killing impacts than minor scratches.

The thin TPU cases are a bit better than the hard plastic shell type. They also protect the phone's back against scratches, and make it a bit easier to grip. However, they also add a small amount of shock protection due to them being soft / able to absorb a bit of impact. This is good if you drop it squarely on its back, but these cases don't provide much / any corner impact protection.

The bumper case from Google is an interesting choice. It adds little bulk, decent full face drop protection, and it won't interfere with wireless charging. The main problem with this case is that the back is fully exposed so no scratch protection, and there is very little / no corner drop protection. The big problem I have with this case is the lack of corner protection. Almost every cell phone drop I see has the device landing on a corner first. This bumper case won't protect the phone from that.

The best protection type are the ruggedized hybrid cases like Otterbox / Ballistic. These types of cases have a thick silicone layer with a hard plastic layer. Cases like the Ballistic shell gel provide a lot of protection from drop damage due to the large amount of material on the corners. The only problem with these types of cases is the added bulk, and in the case of Nexus 4 possible loss of wireless charging ability. :(

So, to answer the topic's question: It depends on what you are looking for in a case.

You really have to pick between:

Good drop protection, scratch protection on the back, good grip, but bulky, possible loss of wireless charging.

or

Little to no drop protection, good grip, slim, wireless charging should work.

I myself am actively trying to make the decision before I get mine. :)

I hear everyone going like HARD PLASTIC CAN'T PROTECT FROM FALLS. My old speck case protected from falls just fine. Never had a problem with my ipod but the case did get destroyed. hehe.

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and ordered this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009Y...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2433488

looks decent enough. will post back here when I actually get it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Its the same s-line case that goes for 2-3 bucks on eBay. Just gotta decide if you want it shipped from China or spend a bit more and get it shipped from US. From what I have read the iblason branding isn't even on the case, just a watermark. Just selling a generic Chinese case with a brand name instead of calling it just s-line tpu. I think anyone at this pont could bulk order from China and then list on amazon with a brand name. Could even drop ship like a bunch on eBay do if you did not lie about shipping times.

Being said its one I am using now. I ordered from eBay and received it in 2 weeks. I ordered a purple one for my wife that got here in 12 days. It adds a nice grip to the sides and the top and bottom are snug but the sides are not quite as snug as I would like. They bow out the tiniest bit. Worth the 2.50 it cost me as a temp case. I fell a lot better about just setting it down and either side now. And it does keep the speaker from being as muffled when you set it on its back.

I have a Guardian in purple on the way for my wife. They just began shipping those so we will start getting reports on quality soon. I am still holding out for an announcement from Otterbox but if I like the ionic guardian I might just get that.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Its the same s-line case that goes for 2-3 bucks on eBay. Just gotta decide if you want it shipped from China or spend a bit more and get it shipped from US. From what I have read the iblason branding isn't even on the case, just a watermark. Just selling a generic Chinese case with a brand name instead of calling it just s-line tpu. I think anyone at this pont could bulk order from China and then list on amazon with a brand name. Could even drop ship like a bunch on eBay do if you did not lie about shipping times.

Being said its one I am using now. I ordered from eBay and received it in 2 weeks. I ordered a purple one for my wife that got here in 12 days. It adds a nice grip to the sides and the top and bottom are snug but the sides are not quite as snug as I would like. They bow out the tiniest bit. Worth the 2.50 it cost me as a temp case. I fell a lot better about just setting it down and either side now. And it does keep the speaker from being as muffled when you set it on its back.

I have a Guardian in purple on the way for my wife. They just began shipping those so we will start getting reports on quality soon. I am still holding out for an announcement from Otterbox but if I like the ionic guardian I might just get that.

how much was shipping from china? hell, ima cancel my amazon order and do what you did, thanks!

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This is the seller I used for mine. Used a diff one for my wife's but they all come from the same place.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...103671?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item460a4681f7

1.91 with slowest shipping. Or do what I did and upgrade to epacket for .81 more. Should be first class mail when it gets stateside. In reality I don't know if there would have been a diff but estimated delivery time is saying there is one so for .81 cents I upgraded.

Looking at it now that one listing in one color from one seller sold 388. Not bad.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This is the seller I used for mine. Used a diff one for my wife's but they all come from the same place.

Black s Line Soft TPU Gel Back Case Cover Skin for Google NEXUS4 Nexus 4 LG E960 | eBay

1.91 with slowest shipping. Or do what I did and upgrade to epacket for .81 more. Should be first class mail when it gets stateside. In reality I don't know if there would have been a diff but estimated delivery time is saying there is one so for .81 cents I upgraded.

Looking at it now that one listing in one color from one seller sold 388. Not bad.

thanks man i think im gonna go with this one since its in the in the US and only a couple bucks more
Black s Line Gel TPU Case Skin Cover T Mobile Google LG Nexus 4 E960 Accessory | eBay

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds good. I didn't mind the wait. Ordered it before my phone got here so time without a case was minimal. Still 5.59 is better than $12+.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good. I didn't mind the wait. Ordered it before my phone got here so time without a case was minimal. Still 5.59 is better than $12+.

yea i can't really wait too much longer since i'm getting ready to deactivate my old phone, and am not will to take my n4 anywhere without casing it first lol

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
debating whether i should invest $2 more for faster shipping...

Edit: went for it. expected next Wednesday so only 2 days after amazon and saved $5.50. Thanks SOLGarion!

Last edited:

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois