Nexus 4 Bumper - Why out of stock still?

StevieY43

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I realize this isn't the most reliable data point after the launch day fiasco, but I noticed a new pending charge on my card this morning for the amount of the bumper + shipping

ZeroMGA

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm still waiting on my Nexus 4, but is the glass really that fragile? I've dropped my iPhone 4 literally dozens of times on hard surfaces, from concrete to other glass surfaces, without a single crack or chip. Hell, it slipped out of my pocket when I was on my motorcyle this summer and bounced down a highway, it was scratched, but did not break. I've heard the glass is supposedly just as good or better, so why the worry?

If there's been legitimate experiences with glass breaking on the Nexus 4 I'd love to know, I really don't want to suffer a broken back, but I don't want to hide the phone's design in fear either.

Edit: Sudden temperature change causes Nexus 4 back glass panel to crack

Well that has me worried :\ I live in Alaska, and it's a cold winter thus far. I'd hate to go from using it to sticking it my pocket or car and having it crack.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Am tempted to bite the bullet on eBay but they are going for almost 100 which is insane.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I've been tempted also but, it looks like a few of them have already been opened. You can see cracks and tears in the package case. It's hard to over-spend $90.00 on a case that's not even worth that much let alone, opened and played with.

Last edited:

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have an idea! I have sourced a high quality, transparent, self adhesive, hemispherical polyurethane bumper in 6.5mm x 2mm. Placement of three or four of these on the back side of the phone would allow for you to safely set it on any surface, plus offer a little extra grip, without spoiling the look and feel of the phone. I would have to order these in bulk so I am curious how many might be interested in a solution like this.
That's exactly what I was thinking! I'm sure you can get some at any craft store. My main reason for thinking of it was to lift it off the table a little, as the speaker gets soooo muffled sitting on a desk/table. Not to mention it sliding around like melted butter on everything.

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't been believe there hasn't been anymore on the play store and eBay's prices are between 80-100 and that's not something I can pay for a bumper.

javaman206

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I was thinking! I'm sure you can get some at any craft store. My main reason for thinking of it was to lift it off the table a little, as the speaker gets soooo muffled sitting on a desk/table. Not to mention it sliding around like melted butter on everything.

You can get clear self-adhesive bumper dots at any hardware store. Just look for "cabinet door bumpers". Meanwhile, I am looking for options either from the Play Store (out of stock), Otterbox (no plans for N4 products), or Speck Products (possible N4 case in the works).

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
seriously? ppl would pay $100 for a piece of plastic that amazon will be overflowed with replica in about a month for around $10? use that extra $90 and go feed some hungry children. haha. or feed yourself.

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
seriously? ppl would pay $100 for a piece of plastic that amazon will be overflowed with replica in about a month for around $10? use that extra $90 and go feed some hungry children. haha. or feed yourself.

I've been tempted but can't justify paying 100. 50 maybe

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
First World problem gone completely out of control... $100 for a bumper. GTFO :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Poetic Bumper for Nexus 4, shipping on 12/30 for $5.95. Poetic makes good stuff - and I wouldn't be surprised if it's longer than that before any not-yet-placed bumper orders from Play end up shipping.

Is kinda ugly but it's better than nothing and seeing how I just peeled my front screen protector off and am seriously eyeing the back protector, I'm gonna need something quick... Damn, 12/30? Don't know if I can make it naked for that long.... About to rip this back protector off any second... :(

Sent from my Nexus 4