Energizer Qi Wireless Charging Pad & Cases with it

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was just at Best Buy and an employee in the mobile phone area told me that the Energizer pad will NOT work with a case, TPU, etc on

1. Is that correct?

2. Is there one out there that will work with it on

3. If not, is anyone interested in buying this at a discounted rate. It was bought from Sears, hasn't even come in yet

radimir

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.. Maybe thats why Google offered a bumper, rather than a case, so that most of the phone is not obstructed, while still somewhat protected.

I hope more various manufacturers come out with bumper cases. I doubt google will ever have enough of a supply for our demand.

skippyrulzzz

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I was just at Best Buy and an employee in the mobile phone area told me that the Energizer pad will NOT work with a case, TPU, etc on

1. Is that correct?

2. Is there one out there that will work with it on

3. If not, is anyone interested in buying this at a discounted rate. It was bought from Sears, hasn't even come in yet

1. no

2. i've used the only case available (the s-line tpu case) with both the energizer pad and the lg pad. both work just fine. the case actually works BETTER with the energizer, because it makes it "stick" to the super slick surface.

3. you should really try it. but if you don't want to i'm sure you can get your money back on it. they're selling pretty well on ebay and amazon, strictly because of the nexus 4.

bit Jockey

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My dual Energizer Qi works fine with my bare N4 and my wifes N4 with i-Blason TPU case. And yes the naked N4 wants to slip off the charger. I use some rubber shelf liner between.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just got an Energizer wireless charger today:
uploadfromtaptalk1354317456732.jpg
I have a full body protector (including back protector) on my Nexus 4. I also left the thin plastic protective film of the Energizer charger on it and its charging fine so far.

I'll do some testing by putting things of various thickness including leather and plastic to stimulate various thickness of cases and report back my findings but so far all indications show that the charger will work it a thin-to-moderate-thickness case.

Sent from my Nexus 7.

theween04

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the energizer charger but didn't even notice there was plastic film on it. My Nexus was always slipping off of the charger but once I took off the film its great. The surface is a little bit sticky/tacky and works great. For anyone that doesn't realize it, there is plastic film and the film is way slicker than if you take the film off.

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Does wireless charging act like wifi signals in respect to distance from the coils causing reduced charging capabilities or does it either work/not work?

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I just got an Energizer wireless charger today:
View attachment 48965
I have a full body protector (including back protector) on my Nexus 4. I also left the thin plastic protective film of the Energizer charger on it and its charging fine so far.

I'll do some testing by putting things of various thickness including leather and plastic to stimulate various thickness of cases and report back my findings but so far all indications show that the charger will work it a thin-to-moderate-thickness case.

Sent from my Nexus 7.
The charger is out of stock on Amazon. I have it in my cart and will probably get it, can't count on when Google will offer their charger. I lot of people who have the Nexus 4 must have ordered this.

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The charger is out of stock on Amazon. I have it in my cart and will probably get it, can't count on when Google will offer their charger. I lot of people who have the Nexus 4 must have ordered this.

I ordered mine "temporarily out of stock" and it shipped next day. It will be here Monday. Can't wait!

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Correct. These chargers are flying off the shelves. No one can seem to keep them in stock and I'm taking about all Qi chargers, not just the Energizer. :eek:

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of testing. Seems the Energizer is a bit particular about where you place your phone on the mat. Too high and it won't charge. To low and it won't charge. To far left or right and it won't charge. It's like the Goldilocks of Qi chargers, lol.

As for cases, I've been testing with things of varying thickness. You can definitely use a case with this charger but you have to place it right or it won't charge. Even a pretty thick case will work as long as it's seated in the right spot on the charger.

Yes, charge IS affected by distance so the thicker the case, the slower it will charge but it will still charge.

But honestly, your main concern when trying to use this charger with a case shouldn't be "how long will it take to charge?" but " how hot will the Nexus get inside the case while it's charging?"... And the answer is: PRETTY DAMN HOT!

I would strongly suggest that you don't make a habit out of charging your Nexus for long periods of time inside anything other than the official bumper that has everything exposed except the very sides. Anything that covers more of the phone will cause heat retention that can cause the Nexus to overheat... So you've been warned.

Use your brain. Don't be lazy. Take your $400 investment out of a thick or enclosed case for longer charging. Or don't come here b*tching about how it melted or how it caught on fire or how it doesn't turn on anymore due to overheating. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 4

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see anyone ing. Optimism.

And you are referring to using the charging pad, correct. you are not suggesting taking it out of the case for just using the micro usb OR a dock ??

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There's an LG wireless pad on Amazon I want to try out. I've got the bumpers on the phone. I've read somewhere that it will charge with a thinner case on the phone, but it might slow down the charging rate. Haven't tried it yet.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What the heck did I write??? LOL I didn't see anyone ing. Optimism

Small_Law I may be wrong, but I thought I read on another thread here or XDA that the LG does not work with the Nexus 4. Can anyone else comment?

skippyrulzzz

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
What the heck did I write??? LOL I didn't see anyone ing. Optimism

Small_Law I may be wrong, but I thought I read on another thread here or XDA that the LG does not work with the Nexus 4. Can anyone else comment?

it definitely does work. the lg is on my bedside table and the energizer is on my desk at work. both work fine.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks very much I think I read it in a list of chargers on here or XDA - so you say the LG works too? Which one is better? Is it that much cooler or better, or just a novelty. would a dock, maybe by Seidio charge better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs