XtremeGuard Proximity Sensor Cutout

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I'm a bit confused. I keep reading reviews on the XtremeGuard screen protector all stating that it does not have a cutout for the proximity sensor so it's not worth it. The shield itself is like $2 a piece on Amazon which I think is a ridiculous deal, cutout or not. However, I saw this video on YouTube that was posted today, so I was wondering if they fixed the issue regarding the cutout for the sensor. Problem is, I ordered my shields 2 or 3 days ago so now I'm worried I'll get an old batch as opposed to this new one. I got them real cheap so if I return them now, I'll have to pay full price for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSKNlk4S_Y

Skip to 0:51.

Tony Huynh

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I received mine yesterday that I picked up from amazon and it doesn't have the cut out, but does it need it tho? It doesn't seem to effect the usage of the phone one bit so far for me. All my old phones I had screen protectors on it and there was never a cut out for the proximity sensor either. What side effects are known for not having a cut out for the sensor?

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What side effects are known for not having a cut out for the sensor?
Try making a call. Some people are reporting that since it is blocking the proximity sensor, when you take the phone away from your face the screen won't automatically turn back on. I would assume this is true because on all of my previous phones with proximity sensors, the screen protectors have had cutouts for the proximity sensor. I am supposed to get my XtremeGuard in the mail tomorrow, so i'll report back if mine has the cutout. I hope it does!

Tony Huynh

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Try making a call. Some people are reporting that since it is blocking the proximity sensor, when you take the phone away from your face the screen won't automatically turn back on. I would assume this is true because on all of my previous phones with proximity sensors, the screen protectors have had cutouts for the proximity sensor. I am supposed to get my XtremeGuard in the mail tomorrow, so i'll report back if mine has the cutout. I hope it does!
I have been making calls all day and it seems to function without any issues. Same with all my old phones with screen protectors without cut outs. Also, is it really "blocking" the sensor? I mean the screen protector is the same as having the gorilla glass over the sensor isn't it?

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I just tried it and right when I hit dial it goes to black and I pulled away the screen protector away from that corner where the proximity sensor is and the screen comes back on. So for me it does block the sensor. Luckily I don't make many calls, but will probably cut that part off. Looking at getting the zagg version now. It was 4 bucks for this extreme guard front and back so not a bad deal overall

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been making calls all day and it seems to function without any issues. Same with all my old phones with screen protectors without cut outs. Also, is it really "blocking" the sensor? I mean the screen protector is the same as having the gorilla glass over the sensor isn't it?
That's good to hear. It wouldn't make much sense for it to effect the proximity sensor since it is clear and flush with the glass, but some people are saying that it can cause problems. I hope that when I get mine in the mail it either has the cut outs or doesn't give me any problems.

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it and right when I hit dial it goes to black and I pulled away the screen protector away from that corner where the proximity sensor is and the screen comes back on. So for me it does block the sensor. Luckily I don't make many calls, but will probably cut that part off. Looking at getting the zagg version now. It was 4 bucks for this extreme guard front and back so not a bad deal overall
Yeah, that's what I heard some other people saying too. I think that if mine doesn't have the cut out i'll just do it myself. But like you said, I can't really complain about a $4.00 front and back protector!

Tony Huynh

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

That's odd, I just tried it again after reading your comment and still have no issues. Very weird indeed.

shulogy

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
got the xtremeguard, and sadly i am one of those that got the proximity sensor issue. somehow the screen protector is blocking it, but once i took a scissor cut a small hole in it, it is working fine. cant really complain since i go the front and back protector for 3 bucks. will use it for a while, and maybe change to a better one in future.

but i do see a number of people not having this issue at all, well no idea why. heard some people saying, it might be the amount of water you put when you are sticking the protector on, how true is that, i got no idea..

Tony Huynh

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hm, amount of water shouldn't matter cause it dries up eventually. I pretty much had a bowl of water and soap mixture next to me and dipped the entire screen protector inside the bowl and shook it off a bit then slapped it on the phone, angled it to fit right and squeegeed out the water and took a blow dryer to it for a min, it was good to go right after that.

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine today (ordered them on Monday), and the front protector does not have the cut out. Kinda disappointed since they showed it in their video, but I'm still happy I got it for $4.00. I'm going to install it and see if it gives me any problems.

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
All I did was use the plastic that the Nexus 4 came with, aligned it with the shield, traced the opening for the sensors, and used an X-acto to cut it off.

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
All I did was use the plastic that the Nexus 4 came with, aligned it with the shield, traced the opening for the sensors, and used an X-acto to cut it off.
I should have read your post before I cut mine. I just used scissors and guessed where the cutout should be. I ended up with a hole about three times the size that it needed to be. I actually just might order another XtremeGuard while the price is low and then use your method. Ugh I feel so dumb now :p

tuukka87

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
ordered mine today, according to the picture it doesn't have the cutout, but I will defiantly check it out more when it arrives.

$(KGrHqF,!iMFCfC28!HtBQqs95onkg~~60_57.GIF

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So the shield isn't as great as I thought it'd be. Zaggs are much better in terms of installation and even overall quality, but meh it was cheap.

I might just go liquid armor since I keep my phone in a pouch. Hate cases.

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So I emailed xtremeguards and they said they could provide me with a replacement. I don't know if I should take it since it isn't a huge problem and I fixed it myself. But that's pretty good customer service from xtremeguards, especially since the screen protector only cost $4.00.

sjsmr2

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
So the odds are that an Xtremeguard Screen Protector ordered yesterday through Amazon (sold by the parent company of Xtremeguard, Prestige Solutions) will not have the proximity sensor cut out.

Tony Huynh

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So the odds are that an Xtremeguard Screen Protector ordered yesterday through Amazon (sold by the parent company of Xtremeguard, Prestige Solutions) will not have the proximity sensor cut out.
yea, most likely it won't have the cut out. I ordered a spare from their direct site and it still doesn't have a cut out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy