Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery Extender... External

Anyone have any experiences with external battery extenders? I travel a lot and usually swap out batteries on my previous phones as they drain. But the Nexus 4 with an internal battery will not support this... so... I'm looking at external batteries.

These are usually stand alone batteries that charge separately and then you plug your device into to transfer the charge.

An example is: Satechi iCel (WHITE) 5200 mAh (2 amp) Battery Extender Pack and Charger for iPhone 4, 3G & 3Gs, iPod Touch 4G, BlackBerry, HTC EVO, HD7, DROID, Samsung Galaxy S, EPIC, Kindle DX, Flip & Vado HD Camcorders

I've seen odd reviews of them like some require a large input power (5Vdc - 1A) to charge and some USB wall chargers do not output enough power to charge. I've also seen reviews that they wear out quickly. Also they are heavy compared to most phones.

Any one have hands on experience with these or have one they would recommend that would work best with a Nexus 4?

Default Re: Battery Extender... External

I was hoping people here would have some suggestions as I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm currently used to keeping a spare battery with me so I can swap out. In reading all the battery stories here it sounds like I may have a dead unit on the days/evenings when I'm nowhere near a ways to charge it (i.e. not near an outlet or computer).

When an extender is fully charged up, how long does (an unused one) retain its charge?

I use the Anker 5600mAh back up battery and love it. My wife uses the Anker slim talk 3200mAh charger and loves it. It is smaller than mine and even has an embedded micro USB. The 5600 is a beast and is only $30 on amazon. You can even use it "inline" to charge your device while the charger is charging

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    HeyBob 

I agree there are tons of them out there.. I just saw the video on YouTube for the vaas mobile charger that also has a very strong flashlight on one end.. I bought that and another one that has a micro port to use without any cables.. Look for "1900mAh emergency battery charger with micro USB connection for mobile phones". It looks pretty good and small

Since the Nexus 4 came out not too long ago and it's been out of stock, there probably aren't that many. I'm pretty sure the nexus 4 is using a micro USB port so you can use many other things to charge the phone but it isn't going to be form fitting like an actual case.

I've used both Motorola and Mophie external batteries and the performance is what you would expect: charging is slow but it will extend the life of the phone. It's a good thing to have one of these, especially if you plan to use the phone as a wifi hotspot.

ROM
    Stock

Funny. Carrying around a battery, just so my phone will work, seems to defeat the purpose of the phone, in the first place.
    Is this really a solution? Or are we letting the OEMs get away with putting out sub par devices? In a world with the LTE enabled Razr Maxx, why do we have phones with inadequate batteries?

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP PUB / Franco Kernel

I just got this thing. I havent used it yet in the wild but it is a pretty good design. It is slightly thick to keep in your pocket at the same time as the phone but it is the only one that i saw that looks like it has a better form factor was the moto one but that thing cant even charge a whole battery.

Amazon.com: [Upgraded version] PowerGen PGMPP6000 White External Battery Pack High Capacity 6000mAh Power Bank Charger Dual USB output (w/imbedded Micro USB) for Apple iPhone 5 4s 4 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch, iPad 2 3/ HTC sensation, XE, XL, One X S V, Thun
    Google Android Affectionado

Looks funny, how do you like it?

This deal is expired but I know a few nexus 4 people using the RAVPower 10000 mah.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/8636...-charger-pouch

Deal will prolly come around again at some point. And anything with micro USB will work higher amp out better. I got a charger for my headphones that is 650 amp out and it charges the Nexus but slowly. Maintains charge while in use. Good for over night. 1-1.2 amp out seems about standard for full speed charge of a phone.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I bought this Anker 5600 and it rocks. Small and it charges super fast. Small enough to fit both the battery and phone in your coat pocket.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005K7...idcentral00-20

You can get at least 3 charges out of one charge of the battery.

A bargain at $30.

Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

I've been using New Trent's NT70T which I originally got for my Nexus 7. At 7000mAH, it's plenty of power for either (or both).

It doesn't have any frills like flashlights, etc, but that wasn't really what I was looking for.

It's easily pocketable, can charge two devices at once (I'm able to charge both my Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 at the same time at their rated amperage requirements - and WITHOUT a converter adapter that many chargers require to make it work properly with the Nexus 7 and some other tablets), and, imo, best of all you don't have to carry a cable with you to charge your phone as it has a short Micro-USB and regular USB cable embedded that snaps into the side when not in use so it's not hanging free. It is worth noting that the NT70T charges from USB, and doesn't use a normal AC adapter to charge - overall I look at that as a plus, as you can charge it from just about anything, anywhere.

It's $41.95, with free 2-day shipping for Amazon Prime members, but there's a promo where you get your choice of a 2A/1A dual USB output car charger, a 1A single USB outlet wall charger, or a stylus included for free.