1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rearth Ringke Slim

A friend had this on his galaxy nexus and it was really nice. Very slim, didn't add any real bulk to the phone while keeping the back well protected. I saw they now have one for the nexus 4 on amazon for 9.99 in 4 different colors. It looks like they had some figment issues but those should be corrected in any new batches. Any experience with them?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Rearth Ringke Slim

Quote Originally Posted by foolishfocus View Post
    A friend had this on his galaxy nexus and it was really nice. Very slim, didn't add any real bulk to the phone while keeping the back well protected. I saw they now have one for the nexus 4 on amazon for 9.99 in 4 different colors. It looks like they had some figment issues but those should be corrected in any new batches. Any experience with them?

Yes. that's the problem. It's very slim so it doesn't protect from falls as well as other cases. I mean you don't have to get an otterbox or anything but just something a little bulkier I guess. You'll probably drop it at 5 feet or so, go check some reviews.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP PUB / Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by foolishfocus View Post

i got one from the first batch and it is a piece of crap. It would only provide protection from scratching. not to mention the first edition doesnt fit well. they say they are going to send me a new one so ill let you know how that one is when i receive it.
    Google Android Affectionado
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have the bumper on it now, doesn't seem like it would do a whole lot either

I have this case. It's 9.99, its nothing spectacular. It will protect the back from being scratched so thats nice, it is very thing so thats also nice. You can't have very thin case and expect a large amount of protection, just won't happen. For what it is, and for the cost, its not too bad of a case.

ROM
    AOSP 4.2

I want to get one but I don't know if the white is matte or not. It's really difficult to tell from the pictures. Did anyone get it in white?

White on its way. I'll take pics.

So I got my two 2nd-run Ringke cases today. White and navy Blue.

To see high-res, hover over an image in the gallery and click the gear icon at the top-right, select 'View full resolution.' These were taken with my 100mm macro lens.

I'm going with white for now. Pretty OK case, nice and slim. Would protect from a drop out of your pocket if it hit the case right (corner, for instance). Would not protect much from ear height.The last time I dropped a phone, it slid out of my workout shorts pocket.

The case is "matte" I suppose. Not too textured, still pretty slippery, but it's better than glass As you can see from the last image, the corners come up just a tad from the edges, so when you lay the phone on its face on a flat surface, the screen glass is raised maybe 1mm. The headphone port cutout is a good size, and the case fits perfectly. No issues with fit like with the first batch. It also has a lanyard/trinket tie at the bottom-right for all you Asians out there (seriously, in Japan the cellphone trinket market is very strong).

Worth $10 in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy_sunset View Post

To see high-res, hover over an image in the gallery and click the gear icon at the top-right, select 'View full resolution.' These were taken with my 100mm macro lens.

I'm going with white for now. Pretty OK case, nice and slim. Would protect from a drop out of your pocket if it hit the case right (corner, for instance). Would not protect much from ear height.The last time I dropped a phone, it slid out of my workout shorts pocket.

The case is "matte" I suppose. Not too textured, still pretty slippery, but it's better than glass As you can see from the last image, the corners come up just a tad from the edges, so when you lay the phone on its face on a flat surface, the screen glass is raised maybe 1mm. The headphone port cutout is a good size, and the case fits perfectly. No issues with fit like with the first batch. It also has a lanyard/trinket tie at the bottom-right for all you Asians out there (seriously, in Japan the cellphone trinket market is very strong).

Worth $10 in my opinion.
    Nice. Thanks for the pics. I ordered the white as well and it looks gorgeous. I have a feeling I might end up preferring the black/white two-tone aesthetically to the bumper even though it covers the back.

Received mine earlier in the week and very happy with it and pretty much agree with everything you said.

When I ordered mine last week and got immediate ship info, I thought they were going to give me the 1st gen because their site said they werent shipping anymore out until the cases arrive on the 11th and emailed them my concern and they responded back immediately saying they setup another to be shipped when the new ones come out.

So the case I got before the 11 was perfect and my 2nd gen I got yesterday I am keeping in box as spare. Great case and support... Can't beat that for $9.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy_sunset View Post

Worth $10 in my opinion.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

I got the revised version but it still does not fit right. I wonder if one slipped through the cracks. Either way the nice folks at Rearth are sending me another.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by noname3151 View Post
    I got the revised version but it still does not fit right. I wonder if one slipped through the cracks. Either way the nice folks at Rearth are sending me another.
    I just received mine (well, I just got back from work and checked the mail) and I'm having deja vu. I like the speedy service, but they sent me a "revised" version with the EXACT same problem.

I have the revised version. Well, I assume I do - no problems with any of the cutouts.

Definitely thin; I'll give it that. Thinnest hard shell I've ever seen.

Very slippery, though.

I thought it would be slightly rubberized. Don't know why - guess a bad assumption on my part because of the matte look in the photos which makes it look like a hard shell case for my iPod classic and a friend that has a similar one for his iPhone which both have a very thin rubberized.coating giving them some grip.

Hard to describe, but the strip of case plastic running between the volume button and the bezel - because it's so thin (1/8" or so), it's weak and is flexing outwards a bit away from the case. Just ever so slightly - can barely stick the corner of a sheet of paper into the gap. But everytime I press the volume rocker, I can feel the plastic giving in to to the pressure of my thumb and bending back against the case. Very often I think I've pressed the button but I discover I missed it was was just feeling the case flex. Also feel it flexing a lot in this area when holding in in landscape mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonymous666 View Post
    I have the revised version. Well, I assume I do - no problems with any of the cutouts.

Very slippery, though.

I thought it would be slightly rubberized. Don't know why - guess a bad assumption on my part because of the matte look in the photos which makes it look like a hard shell case for my iPod classic and a friend that has a similar one for his iPhone which both have a very thin rubberized.coating giving them some grip.

Hard to describe, but the strip of case plastic running between the volume button and the bezel - because it's so thin (1/8" or so), it's weak and is flexing outwards a bit away from the case. Just ever so slightly - can barely stick the corner of a sheet of paper into the gap. But everytime I press the volume rocker, I can feel the plastic giving in to to the pressure of my thumb and bending back against the case. Very often I think I've pressed the button but I discover I missed it was was just feeling the case flex. Also feel it flexing a lot in this area when holding in in landscape mode.
    What color case did you get? Because my black matte one doesn't feel slippery at all. Seems to have nice slightly rubber feeling grip to me. I'm quite happy with the feel of the case. I also ordered a white one, which hasn't arrived yet, so I'm wondering if that is the slippery one.

Regarding the plastic strip between the volume rocker and front glass. I thought maybe it was just you, I hadn't noticed any problems. But after taking a closer look, it seems mine is exactly as you described, just hadn't noticed. It's bowed out slightly and when I push on the volume buttons, it flexes in slightly. I don't think it'll be an issue for me.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the case. It was only $10 and free shipping. Feels good (at least mine does), feels quite well (with the tiny exception noted) and it so thin I really don't mind keeping it on. We'll see how long I do keep it on though, because I generally don't like any cases and it seems like I always buy cases, use them a few days, then take them off and never worry about them again. But so far I don't feel a need to take off this Slim case, because I barely notice it there. If anything does drive me to remove the case it would be the slight difficulty pushing the buttons with the case on. I do worry about taking the case off, as it is so thin and protested with some concerning creaking and cracking noises when I tried once.

I have the black one and imo it doesnt feel slippery either. I can put the phone on my lap wearing cotton slacks and it doesnt slide or i put it on my leather passenger car seat and it stays put... it's not a rubbery feel... it is smooth... but just enough i guess for the scenarios i mentioned and wont slide on a smooth table on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
    What color case did you get? Because my black matte one doesn't feel slippery at all. Seems to have nice slightly rubber feeling grip to me. I'm quite happy with the feel of the case. I also ordered a white one, which hasn't arrived yet, so I'm wondering if that is the slippery one.
    I got the black one. It's not so slippery that it slides off the table or anything; just that I was expecting/hoping that it would be a little bit more grippy. If anything, I guess it's good the way it is in regards to taking it in/out of my pocket quickly.

Regarding the plastic strip between the volume rocker and front glass. I thought maybe it was just you, I hadn't noticed any problems. But after taking a closer look, it seems mine is exactly as you described, just hadn't noticed. It's bowed out slightly and when I push on the volume buttons, it flexes in slightly. I don't think it'll be an issue for me.
    I can tell you understood exactly what I was talking about. Good, since I was unsure if I articulated it well enough for ppl. I'm not yet sure how much it bothers me. I constantly feel it flexing against my thumb when I hold it landscape, but I don't do that all that much. The annoying thing is trying to find that volume button by feel, thinking I found it and pressed it, then finding the "press" i was feeling was really just the case flexing. It's also occurred to me that the gap might let more dust to get in.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the case. It was only $10 and free shipping. Feels good (at least mine does), feels quite well (with the tiny exception noted) and it so thin I really don't mind keeping it on. We'll see how long I do keep it on though, because I generally don't like any cases and it seems like I always buy cases, use them a few days, then take them off and never worry about them again. But so far I don't feel a need to take off this Slim case, because I barely notice it there. If anything does drive me to remove the case it would be the slight difficulty pushing the buttons with the case on.
    In general, I'm happy with it, too. Still using it. Sure, a flaw with that flexing by the button, and a bit of concern about not enough grip. But hey, it was only ten bucks. Much easier to try out multiple cases these days since most are so cheap. I remember back in the early days of the iPod and cases would be $25 - $30 and a much bigger investment. I have a NIllkin hard case on the way and I already have a Diztronic TPU case that I really like. Surprisingly, even though that case completely covers the buttons, I find it much easier to find/press the buttons on it that with the Rearth case.
    I do worry about taking the case off, as it is so thin and protested with some concerning creaking and cracking noises when I tried once.
    LOL, yeah I was going to put my Diztronic case back on the other night but couldn't get the Rearth case off. Seems like it should be easy but the thing just wouldn't let go. Got bored wrestling with it so I decided to let it be for the moment.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I just got the white one as an early Christmas present and am also surprised by how tough it seems to get the case off. I didn't notice the plastic flexing and I'm in the dark but I don't feel anything. The thinness is great and I love the white!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

Update from my post a few back.

Just got my replacement case and it fits like a glove. No doubt the first "revised" version I got was from the bad batch. Glad they took care of me so well and glad to have a great fitting case.

Decided to get the grey color instead of the black and I think I like the look of it better.

Happy holidays.

Last edited by noname3151; 12-25-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Question Re: Rearth Ringke Slim

Hey there, had a quick question about this case. I am using Sony MDR V6's as headphones, and I was wondering if the large headphone jack on these headphones would still fit with this case.
    Also, black or white? :P

Thanks,
    Daniel

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pianite View Post
    Hey there, had a quick question about this case. I am using Sony MDR V6's as headphones, and I was wondering if the large headphone jack on these headphones would still fit with this case.
    Also, black or white? :P

Thanks,
    Daniel
    I'm fairly certain you'd have no problems. The base of my headphones is large and I have room to spare.

Have any of you guys using this case dropped your phone? Was the phone okay?

Since it's so slim, would it still be able to protect your phone from falls?

I've not dropped mine yet, but I'd be afraid to. The case is so thin that I'd think it's offering minimal impact protection. The case is more for those just worried about scratches and scuffs.

I've dropped mine but was such a minor fall that i'm sure it would have survived without the Rearth... but I also feel it is more for saving it from cosmetic damage and maybe offer slight protection in case of some accidental drop or a better chance to protect the rear glass than nothing at all.

I really like the Rearth cause it's a nice fit and helps the phone have a nice slim look with sharp lines if you have to cover the phone up.

That being said, I have put on my cruzerlite and once I got it fitted right, I have not taken it off the phone since.

It only adds a little more bulk than the Rearth and not overly bulky and feels very snug and gives the phone a more solid feel. Also just a slight raise on the front where I can comfortable put the phone face down on the table and nice texture on the sides for grip. I definitely feel the phone has a better chance on a fall with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonymous666 View Post

Very slippery, though.

Home Depot sells an EpoxyShield 12-oz. Anti-Slip Aerosol by rustoleum and its completely clear with a slight raised texture. I was thinking about buying this case and spraying it. Anyone wanna give it a try and report back? $6 a can. I think this would be a great solution.