Is a screen protector necessary?

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

So I'm moving over to my first Android phone ever and would like to know if a screen protector is necessary. I have gone through 2 or 3 iPhone 4's and I never had a screen protector on any of them and the screens all came out flawless without a single scratch. I never babied my phones either, kept them in my pocket with car keys and change. I just had a case to protect the body and that was enough.

Are N4 screens as durable? Should I get a screen protector? Please share your experiences.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
It's entirely up to you. I had a screen protector on my Evo 4G for the life of it (2+ years) and it ended up having small scratches on the screen protector visible in bright sunlight. I baby my phones and never put them in a pocket with other items (coins, keys, etc.). With this phone, the Nexus 4, I am going completely naked so we'll see how it fares after a year or so. It can't hurt if you're worried about resale value and after all, what's $15 for a good screen protection that comes with a little peace of mind. For me though, I want to enjoy the beautiful, slick screen in all its glory.

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
For me though, I want to enjoy the beautiful, slick screen in all its glory.

Same with me! And like I said with my iPhone a screen protector was totally unnecessary, those screens are tough. Maybe someone else has had experience with other Gorilla Glass screens and can offer some insight into this

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Same with me! And like I said with my iPhone a screen protector was totally unnecessary, those screens are tough. Maybe someone else has had experience with other Gorilla Glass screens and can offer some insight into this

The iPhone screens are square and angular at the edges whereas the N4 has a rounded edge profile. This characteristic of the N4 screen might make it more susceptible to fine scratches from sand in your pockets. One member here on the forums put his N4 in his skinny jeans pocket and the grit and sand in there made fine scratches along the edge. Granted wearing skinny jeans was his first mistake but something to think about if that might be your case.

D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My general rule of thumb is if you have enough $ for a backup phone/new N4, do not get a screen protector. If this phone is an important investment, get a protector. Who cares how good the screen looks naked if its covered in scratches.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector on any of my phones and never had a scratch. But I've always carried them in a case and holster.

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Let me put it this way, the Nexus 4 is by far the worst phone I can think of on the top of my list that you can scratch and crack glass without knowing you did until it is too late, you damn sure you better get a screen full body protector and a case to go with it and still that may not be enough, worst phone with brittle materials for the shell of a phone.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why this thread is alive again lol. You should get a screen protector because it's cheap but the hardness of the gorilla glass is able to protect against scratches from many metals because it's tougher. You should still get a screen protector because it's cheap and you bought a $300+ phone, just protect it with an extra $1.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm putting on a clear backside screen protector since from what I understand the back glass isn't anywhere near the same as the front gorilla type glass stuff. I also ordered a poetic bumper and I think I should be good to go.

Clone9

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, my back glass is beginning to show some scratches....and I have been babying the hell out of this thing. Therefore, I think a backside protector would be very helpful without any problems.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
The covers that came on the Nexus 4 are IMO more that shipping protectors. They are in fact skins and have cutouts for sensor and camera which they would not if they were just for shipping. further they keep the phone from sliding all over. As to whether they are needed then I say if you do not want to have your phone sliding around then you need either a skin or a case.