Using stock front/back/side screen protectors as your permanent protector for the Nexus 4

TheRoadBikeGuy

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone using the OEM stock front/back/side protectors as your permanent screen protectors for your nexus 4? I haven't seen many people talk about doing this so I am wondering if it's much better buying third-party screen protectors than keeping the stock ones. Is there any harm keeping the stock protectors on your phone indefinitely that I may not know about?

Currently, I am using a poetic bumper in addition to the stock front/back/side protectors..

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
They work great for preventing scratches, but I don't think that any screen protector is going to offer the slightest protection if you drop your phone. It just becomes a matter of luck, with the bad kind typically prevailing. If you're worried about breaking the screen or the back, you need to put it in a solid case (something like the Ionic Guardian).

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
No problem at all to use them - they're much thicker and more evenly applied (no bubbles, no lift at edge) than most 'temporary' protectors. The only downside would be if you are bothered by the indicators for volume + , -, and power.

deichenlaub

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I started using the front protector, but after a while the symbols they printed to indicate the position of the power and volume switches started driving me batty. I eventually pulled both of them off.

lorish

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm still using the front and back protector. I don't have my case yet and I'm waiting for a better screen protector to come out. The symbols don't bother me too much but the screen protectors are starting to lift here and there :(

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using the front and back protector. I don't have my case yet and I'm waiting for a better screen protector to come out. The symbols don't bother me too much but the screen protectors are starting to lift here and there :(

The 'better' screen protectors have been out since about day 1. Only thing you have to decide for yourself is if you prefer wet application that covers edge to edge, or dry application with a slight uncovered border, and whether you want a hard coat or more glare-resistant (but susceptible to 'orange peel' effect) soft skin.

I ended up going with a front/back solution by Spigen, with which I'm quite pleased. It fully covers the back (I user a bumper, so wanted protection there) and goes far enough to the side edges on the front that the entire display is covered. No problem with touch sensitivity, no impact on color, and less glare than the naked screen.

17veen

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I still use the stock on front and back. I have gotten used to the +/- power sign. I suck at putting on screen protectors so I left the stock one in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Curtendz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I actually had mine on for a few weeks after I got the phone. The tab on the front cover got stuck going into my pocket and came off. I was devastated at the time but now I am so happy that it happened. The feel of this screen is amazing. And honestly to me it looks better with no protection. I still have my stock back protector on though.

nigeljennings

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I actually had mine on for a few weeks after I got the phone. The tab on the front cover got stuck going into my pocket and came off. I was devastated at the time but now I am so happy that it happened. The feel of this screen is amazing. And honestly to me it looks better with no protection. I still have my stock back protector on though.

Ditto!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Release units don't come with "side protectors". Only front and back. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 or Nexus 7