Is anyone planning to buy the new Nexus 4 wireless charging dock?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This isn't new, this is the same charging pad they showed when the Nexus 4 was first announced. It's been AWOL since. If it ever comes out I would consider it, but for now it's just vaporware.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Lol, its like one of those concept cars at the auto show (lots of ?oooo's and ahhh's) ...but then it just never seems to materialize.

And to answer the OPs query, I would seriously consider it...up to the $50-$70 range. Too much past that and ID start to balk I think.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe. I managed to find an LG WCP-700 Qi charger in a Verizon store and it works great with the OEM bumpers on my N4. I could use another for work, but the price has to be there. And I'm wondering if it works with the bumpers.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Probably not. I use my phone while it's charging and wireless charging just doesn't lend itself to that use case.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Depending on the price, yes. Over 75$ though, no.

And hopefully it'll charge faster than the Lumia wireless charger I got (and can't return to VZW even the next day without losing 35$ of of the 55$) that only does about 1%/15mins!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Not me. I never buy the device specific extras, like this, or car docks, or desk docks. I end up getting a new phone (the next Nexus) every year, and none of these items work for most other devices, not to mention they are always so late coming out. It's easy to drop a couple hundred dollars or more on this stuff, which is pretty close to the price of a new phone.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely, if the price is right. If you had used wireless charging before, you would have gotten one definitely. I have 4 wireless chargers with my WebOS devices and they are awesome.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
i wish the nokia charger worked on our phones cause it would have been a cheap alternative and it was a nice charge pad.
also, i dont know how good the lg will be and if it will lay on it properly charging with a case like my cruzerlite.
my eye is on the TYLT charger. nice design and rather have a more solid stand to put it on and can use it for future phones.

BUILT TO TYLT

tylt-vu.jpg

quamdar

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If it is cheap enough cause it would look good on my desk but probably not. I just don't get the huge advantage of wireless charging, I use my phone while it charges a lot of times and with this every time I picked it up it would stop charging.

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
You mean the orb of myth? If they ever decide to awaken it from slumber, I'd like to have one, but seeing how hard it is for them to stock a ring made of rubber and plastic, i don't know how easy it will be to get the charger.

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
i don't see the point to wireless charging. the dock still has to be plugged into a power source and you can't use your phone while it's charging.

with a regular charger, at least you can still use your phone. and since either solution needs a power source to be plugged into, you might as well just carry around a charger versus a dock and an ac adapter to connect it.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
i didnt know... so you're saying when its on the charge pad like the TYLT, the phone can't be used (press power, unlock, play) while on the dock? hmm.

for me, if i do end up getting one for home or office... i would find it convenient to have a dock to just set it on instead of grabbing for the cable end on the table and unplugging and plugging everytime i need to go in and out of the office/house and take the phone with me. if i do need to use the phone while charging, if you can't while on the pad, then you just take it off, use it, then lay it back... i'm not one to use it for hours while plugged... i find myself one to use it for 5-10 minutes here and there while charging.

If the price is right I may splurge.

i don't see the point to wireless charging. the dock still has to be plugged into a power source and you can't use your phone while it's charging.

with a regular charger, at least you can still use your phone. and since either solution needs a power source to be plugged into, you might as well just carry around a charger versus a dock and an ac adapter to connect it.

loosecannon6

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I wanted one of those charging orbs but I ordered the lg wcp-700 and it works great so I don't see the need for this anymore and I only paid $40 for the one I have

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The convenience for me is being able to quickly and effortlessly pick up and place the device without having to plug it in. As a developer, I'm continually picking up and putting down the phones and tablets I have. I use an NFC tag on the inductive base, and use it to switch the hotspot on if it is not already. ADB over the hotspot, and I'm good to go.

As for using the device while it is charging wirelessly, that shouldn't be an issue. While I have yet to set up my N4 for inductive charging, I've used Android devices in the past that allowed use while charging via induction. There is no reason for interaction to be prevented, other than the fact that it slows the rate at which the battery will charge.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I think the" using it while charging" issue has more to do with being able to move the phone around at the end of its cable versus having to lay the phone down on a charging pad.