Do the Galaxy Nexus docks fit the Nexus 4?

Bernardo Mancebo

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus with the car dock, the home dock, and the office dock (HDMI). I've made a big investment having all those docks and I really want to upgrade to the Nexus 4 but I'm wondering if my docks will continue to work, the shape/size is really similar and I've seen that the Nexus 4 fits in the GNex's car dock, it sticks out a little, but it fits.

The wireless charging orb seems promising, and I wouldn't mind buying docks for my home/office/car, but there are none. Samsung did a really good job of accessorizing the Galaxy Nexus, but so far I haven't seen anything from LG aside from the bumper and the Orb, which is not available anywhere.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
without actually testing any of this first hand, I can say with a good amount of confidence that it won't work. the N4 and GNex are very similar sizes, but they are shaped differently. The N4 is just a tad wider and isn't curved like the GNex so any dock made specifically for the GNex might not fit the N4.

However, that doesn't take into account the most important thing. The N4 does not have pogo pins. So while you might get the device to physically fit, the docks will be useless because they wont' actually do anything. The GNex connects the pogo pins in the dock to charge, output over HDMI, etc, and that simply isn't possible on the N4 since it doesn't have the pins.

Bernardo Mancebo

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Well, actually, my car dock, doesn't have pogo pins, I connect the usb cable right to the phone, and my office dock (HDMI) connects via USB, it stands vertically, so those might work if it fits.

Thanks for your response.

66stephen99

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Just as an FYI. I have a Galaxy nexus and accompanying Car dock. I had the same quandary as the original poster. Having just bitten the bullet and purchased a Nexus 4 and tried the car dock last night, i can confirm it fits surprisingly well. The malleability of the substance which is closest to the phone body when docked allows for the phone to snap into place despite the slight differences in design

The obvious issue is charging though. As the other guy above rightly says, Nexus 4 doesn't have pogo pins and the design of this dock means the usb charging point is totally enveloped. So i'm contemplating a DIY session where i may cut out a micro USB charger sized section from the bottom of the charger and use that....at least until an official car dock comes along.

Hope this helps the decision.

Cheers

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
yea that's why I rarely buy "official" accessories anymore. I change phones every 18 months at most, so i go for car mounts, docks, etc that work with any device I want.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Me too. I never buy device specific accessories. If you change phones ever 12 to 18 months, the savings in not buying all the extras will fund a new phone.

Bernardo Mancebo

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks you guys! I already ordered my Nexus 4 so I'll find out soon enough, I always try to buy device specific accessories because most of the time they fit/look better than any 3rd party solution out there, I've gone trough a lot of car docks and they've never worked right until the Galaxy Nexus one, they always fall off, are wobbly, phones slip out, can't get them into that perfect position, etc...

Good news is that there are a bunch of inductive charging mats/docks, I'll look into those...

alexbergsland

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks you guys! I already ordered my Nexus 4 so I'll find out soon enough, I always try to buy device specific accessories because most of the time they fit/look better than any 3rd party solution out there, I've gone trough a lot of car docks and they've never worked right until the Galaxy Nexus one, they always fall off, are wobbly, phones slip out, can't get them into that perfect position, etc...
Good news is that there are a bunch of inductive charging mats/docks, I'll look into those...

Have you tried the Nexus 4 in the Galaxy Nexus docks yet? :)

Edit:
I can answer this myself, it does not fit.
My Galaxy Nexus desktop stand is too narrow for the Nexus 4 and the car dock has a 3,5mm plug beside the usb port and the Nexus 4 has the hole on the top side of the phone so it does not fit there either.
:)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci