Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By peterskim
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Halo matte screen protector

Hi,
    Has anyone tried the Halo matte screen protector?

Halo Screen Protectors | Premium Japanese Screen Protectors Halo Screen Protector Film Clear Matte (Anti-Glare) for LG Google Nexus 4 E960 (3-Pack) - Premium Japanese Screen Protectors - Nexus 4 - LG

They get good reviews on Amazon. I bought a pack of 3 since it was only $6 with free shipping if you buy direct from the link above. I've been using the Skinomi since I got my Nexus 4 but as others have noted, it doesn't work well with the iBlason case so the edges started peeling up. I've since replaced the iBlason with the official bumper case and instead of buying a new Skinomi protector, I figured I'd give this a shot since I prefer matte anyways.

Thanks
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Halo matte screen protector

I just got my screen protector. It's a "dry type" screen protector, which means you aren't able to slide it around a bit to position it into place once you put it on. You can probably peel it off and on a few times to get the positioning right. Fortunately, each package comes with 3 screen protectors in can you need to do it over.

One great thing about this screen protector is that it is noticeably smaller than the Skinomi (the only other screen protector I've tried on the Nexus 4) which is great if you're using it with a case. I had a iBlason case on with the Skinomi screen protector and since the Skinomi goes right to the ends of the phone, the screen protector starts peeling up immediately after putting the case on. The Halo screen protector doesn't go all the way to the edge so it leaves enough margin for a case whose edges hug around the front of the phone a little (such as the iBlason). I've since moved on to the official bumper case which probably wouldn't cause the Skinomi to peel up, but I think I'll stick with my Halo screen protector anyways.

This particular screen protector I purchased is a matte screen protector. You'll either love it or hate it. I put one on my wife's phone and she immediately said she wanted her Skinomi back -- I told her to give it a few days to see if she'll get used to it. It feels like you lose some clarity in the image. I haven't done a side by side comparison with other matte screen protectors (this may by the only one currently available for the Nexus 4 anyways) but it does seem like it affects the image quality a little more than the matte screen protector I used to have on my iPhone 4S (made by Power Support). I'll give it a few days myself to see if it bothers me too much but I'm inclined to think that I'll stick with it.

I also prefer the way the Halo screen protector feels to the touch. The Skinomi feels a bit too rubbery for my liking. I feel like my fingers and thumb glide over the matte surfacing on the Halo much more easily than the Skinomi.

It's only $6 per 3 pack including free shipping if you order direct from Halo so there isn't much to lose in trying it out. It's worth a try if you've liked matte screen protectors in the past.

Peter
    tcamca likes this.

Hey,
    I too ordered the same from amazon
    Halo Screen Protector Film Clear Matte (Anti-Glare) for LG Google Nexus 4 E960 (3-Pack) - Premium Japanese Screen Protectors

It is superb guard and gives the phone great smooth touch.

As package has 3 protector, we could try it at home. I tried and got one with some dust particles in it but 2nd one got without any dust but somewhat aligned towards left which is hardly noticeable to anyone other than me :-)
    But,need to be very careful while applying because after cleaning Nexus screen it becomes so friction less that protector automatically slides sideways.

Only, con is that screen becomes darker and picture quality is reduced but no issues as I increased brightness to slightly reduce that effect.
    Also, there is slight mm difference in fitting but its fine for me.

Overall, nice product to have for Nexus 4 and recommended for all who needs smooth touch with anti-glare and anti-fingerprint properties .

This is a super protector. Cut exactly to size and for the requisite openings. A bit tricky to install, but follow the directions and watch the video.

It's only a few dollars per 3 pack including free shipping if you order direct from Halo so there isn't much to lose in trying it out. It's worth a try if you've liked matte screen protectors in the past. Just follow the online directions.