Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 Wireless Charging Orb Delivered

Just came in, google wallet says its been paid for but the money isnt missing from my account. I never even got a shipping notification. Just showed up.
    Needless to say i am excited!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4 Wireless Charging Orb Delivered-img_20130215_135559-1-.jpg  

Default Re: Nexus 4 Wireless Charging Orb Delivered

Mine showed up this morning.

Works great with this TPU case.

Cruzerlite Androidified A2 TPU Case for LG Nexus 4 - Android Skin Cases - ShopAndroid

why would you not get a Nexus device?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 4 Wireless Charging Orb Delivered-uploadfromtaptalk1360962619257.jpg  
    Last edited by S-Doo-1965; 02-15-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, Centro(AT&T), Palm Pre Plus(AT&T), Nook Color, HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note(AT&T), Nexus 7 (32), Nexus 4 (16)

Will the wireless charger work with the bumper on the phone?
    Sent from my nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by legec117 View Post

yes

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Can anyone out there confirm that it works with the regular Nillkin case? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by trife View Post
    Can anyone out there confirm that it works with the regular Nillkin case? Thanks!
    Works fine with my poetic atmosphere case which is about the same density - in fact, it still charges thru this case when I lift it as much as a half inch above the charging surface. So I assume the Nilikin should not be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by legec117 View Post
    Absolutely.

I just got mine and used it for a bit. It is extremely well built and has nice touches. The rings on the charging surface are tacky; when the glass back of the phone is placed on the rings, it sticks solidly to the charger, so solidly in fact that you'd really have to give it a significant bump to dislodge the phone. Still, the phone is not difficult to remove from the orb and no residue is left by the rings. The instructions in the box even show placing the phone on the charger horizontally or in landscape. I would feel comfortable doing that. How this will hold up over time remains to be seen, but for the moment, the phone fits on the orb extremely well.

To be clear, the bumpers from the play store do not get in the way at all; this charger works with the bumpers on the phone.

It also seems like there is a lot of room for error in placing the device on the charger. I have been using an LG wireless charger that I got at a Verizon store, and the margin of error for placing the phone on it is very small. It seems as if there is plenty of give as to the location of where you need to place the phone on the orb for it to charge. The bottom of the orb is also tacky. It doesn't move around once you place it.

all in all, this is the nicest Qi charger that I have seen. Considering that I paid $70+ for it when you include shipping and tax, it is pricey. But the quality of this product is definitely there.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    Works fine with my poetic atmosphere case which is about the same density - in fact, it still charges thru this case when I lift it as much as a half inch above the charging surface. So I assume the Nilikin should not be any different.
    Nice! Thanks for the info. Panasonic QE-TM101 is going up on eBay tonight!

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Got mine to. My Nexus 4 is charging on it right now with the Daydream clock going.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Looks like it might not work very well with the poetic bumper. A friend of mine has one it would keep sliding down because the sides were touching the outside of the orb and not the "sticky" stuff. It was a quick test so It works fine with my diztronic case.

UPS delivered my 2 orbs a couple of hours ago. I love this thing. The hold is much more stronger than I expected. I have the bumper. Overall I am very pleased. Have one for my bedside table and my office desk.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Ive been wanting something like this since back in the day of Palm devices.

Glad to see it officially supported by a NeXus device, hope to continue seeing this feature is future NeXus devices
    S-Doo-1965 likes this.

So I don't see anyone else with this issue but i just got my Nexus 4 yesterday and received my orb today but when I place it on the orb Daydream wont start up. I'm running stock Jellybean and i ticked the setting for "when docked" under "when to daydream". Does anyone have any suggestions? P.S Im loving this nexus and orb coming from a Samsung Vibrant.

Quote Originally Posted by nizael View Post
    So I don't see anyone else with this issue but i just got my Nexus 4 yesterday and received my orb today but when I place it on the orb Daydream wont start up. I'm running stock Jellybean and i ticked the setting for "when docked" under "when to daydream". Does anyone have any suggestions? P.S Im loving this nexus and orb coming from a Samsung Vibrant.
    Daydream only seems to work if you have your Nexus 4 on the charger and then let the screen timeout. I've tried placing the N4 on the charger with the screen off and nothing happens.

Thanks for the reply but I set it to time out at 15 seconds and it just went into sleep...

You can shorten the time before daydreaming (display > sleep)... and you can select the button "start now" in the daydream setting screen to test it (maybe only with 4.2.2 if you don't see it?).

Yeah I shortened that time but it just shuts off the screen. I don't have 4.2.2 yet but when I get it hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks for the reply but I set it to time out at 15 seconds and it just went into sleep...
    Ah, I think I see the problem. Your original post says that you have Daydream set to "While docked"? The wireless charger isn't a dock, it's a charger, so you need to set Daydream to "While charging" or "Either" and you should be good. Hope this helps.

Well that fixed that....thanks...I assumed that this would be the only dock for this phone . Hmmm i wonder if there is another one in the works...

I was under the impression that the Wireless Charger held the Nexus 4 in place with a magnet? Did anyone else think magnets were used? Now that I have one I can see that it uses a tacky rubber pad to achieve this. The manual even states "Too much dust/dirt on your Nexus 4 Wireless Charger's surface could cause your Nexus 4 to slip off." This isn't a big deal, but I was kinda hoping for the magnet thing...don't know why really?

I posted this in another forum so thought I'd add it here to add to the pictures:

It looks like it could bounce around in the packaging pretty easily during shipment. Not really secured tightly.

Note the dust all over the orb. It came like that from the factory (shipped from Kentucky).

Nico and Noko trying to figure out how the phone charges without being plugged in:

Magnets hold it very well. No concern whatsoever.

Thanked by:
    John-Smith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BeverageNinja View Post
    I was under the impression that the Wireless Charger held the Nexus 4 in place with a magnet? Did anyone else think magnets were used? Now that I have one I can see that it uses a tacky rubber pad to achieve this. The manual even states "Too much dust/dirt on your Nexus 4 Wireless Charger's surface could cause your Nexus 4 to slip off." This isn't a big deal, but I was kinda hoping for the magnet thing...don't know why really?
    I heard magnet too. It's really almost like a suction cup, being a tight ring and all. I think it is a material that you can clean off and make sticky again if needed.

Edit - looks like without a case, it might actually have some magnetism.

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    I heard magnet too. It's really almost like a suction cup, being a tight ring and all. I think it is a material that you can clean off and make sticky again if needed.

Edit - looks like without a case, it might actually have some magnetism.
    Actually, I stand corrected. After closer inspection, it doesn't appear to have magnets. The tackiness just holds really, really well.

So the phone is held in place through suction?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast