Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Before you decide to plunk down for the wireless charging orb, watch this ...

Too bad Google doesn't allow reviews on hardware products in the Play store. Then I could give this POS the 1-star rating it deserves. I cleaned mine with a warm cloth; I think that helped for about an hour.

This thread should be stickied in order to warn others to stay far away.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Before you decide to plunk down for the wireless charging orb, watch this ...

Here's a few more:

Default Re: Before you decide to plunk down for the wireless charging orb, watch this ...

Mine hasn't slipped a mm for a couple weeks now since I got it. Must be some lemons out there. At least you can RMA for replacement is you got a bad one!

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Out of curiosity, do you use a protector on the rear glass? I have a Spigen Steinheil on my back glass it has never moved in the time I've had it. The phone is stuck to the charger, it can support the weight of the phone when I hold it upside down.

Mine hasn't slipped at all. When I take the phone off the orb I can see imprints in the soft rubber circles of the charger from where it really digs into my case and gets a good grip.

edit: Better pic showing the little circles where it grips.

edit: Tried phone on the orb with no case, just the glass black. Slid right off after about 5mins.
    Last edited by nailPuppy; 03-03-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    ChromeJob likes this.

I love my orb.
    No slippage for me (yet).
    Although I don't leave it on the orb for hours and hours.

Maybe I should upload a exciting video of my N4 not moving.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Even the mighty Phil said in last pod cast his phone slipped over night.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

I have a 10 dollar dBrand vinyl skin on mine, and havent had any problems with slipping. It comes in all different colors including black AND white carbon fiber and Brushed titanium.

My theory is it's all about grease. It all depends on how greasy you get the back of your phone from handling it. It can vary person to person.
    Thanked by:
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I'm going to put some Ghost Armor on the back of mine and see if that helps.

If you press down with a little pressure it helps it stick .... mine would slip before I started doing this

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    My theory is it's all about grease. It all depends on how greasy you get the back of your phone from handling it. It can vary person to person.
    I windexed the ship out of both the phone and the orb and it adhered for less than 3 minutes. Dirt and grease may be a factor for some cases, but I really believe there's a significant percentage of orbs that are defective.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

FYI: I put some Ghost Armor on the back of my phone, and it has helped solve the slip 'n slide issues. Charger seems to only do anything though when it wants to. If I put it on the charger and it's anything about 90%, it ain't charging most of the time. Usually when it does charge, it'll get up to about 96%+ and stop, even though the phone hasn't appeared to move. Still, it's better than where it was before :P

Quote Originally Posted by nailPuppy View Post
    Mine hasn't slipped at all. When I take the phone off the orb I can see imprints in the soft rubber circles of the charger from where it really digs into my case and gets a good grip.

http://i.imgur.com/ghBy9It.jpg

edit: Better pic showing the little circles where it grips.

http://i.imgur.com/gdMGT79.jpg

edit: Tried phone on the orb with no case, just the glass black. Slid right off after about 5mins.

Where can I get this case?
    iPhone 5S+Galaxy S5 user. Google Glass Explorer.

Follow Me:

App.Net: sleepnclass
    Twitter: sleepnclass

Peace & Blessings.

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts

2nd that. Nice case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting. I've been using three charging orbs with four different Nexus 4's and haven't experienced this sliding issue even once. No cases, no protectors, nothing like that. Completely naked.

That case is nice, too.
    ChromeJob likes this.

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

You can't just set it on there. You have to push it on, been working fine for me. That's with the Ringke Fusion case.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    ChromeJob likes this.

I receive my orb yesterday and I did not read the forums before purchasing. I put my nexus 4 on the orb, on top of a 4' shelf before going to bed yesterday and I woke up this morning with the phone on the floor, I am lucky that the glass did not break, only a few scuff. I can't beleive that google would put such a bad product on the market, If my phone would have break, I would sue them as we have a very good customer protection system here in Quebec.

I have fix the slipping orb for about 50cent and it now hold the phone pretty well. I had some sticky silicone pads left over from a previous purchase on ebay, I paid something like 5$ for 12 pads. I applied a new pad to the top of the orb and cut the leftover all around. It look like it's factory made, it hold the phone very well and does not seems to change the charging time.

I ordered my nexus 4 and an orb today. We shall see.

Follow Me:

Peace & Blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by worknman View Post
    Too bad Google doesn't allow reviews on hardware products in the Play store. Then I could give this POS the 1-star rating it deserves. I cleaned mine with a warm cloth; I think that helped for about an hour.

This thread should be stickied in order to warn others to stay far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by worknman View Post
    Here's a few more:

So what. It still charges, even with the phone resting on the desk. Actually its easier for me to tap and use the phone with it lower on the charger.

I like the charger enough I'm now shopping for more, but not from Google (can't use Play credit on devices, which isn't disclosed clearly).

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

When I do get my stop slipping, it then overcharges and the phone and charger get HOT.
    This orb is a POS

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

What did you do to stop the slipping? It shouldn't overcharge, if it does send it back.

Or judging by first post and blatantly bashing a google product, I don't expect a answer to how you stopped the slipping.
    Last edited by chubb; 03-31-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Both the phone and the charger get a little warm (not hot in my exp), WTH does one expect? It's inductive charging. Some heat buildup is normal.

Mine doesn't slip at all, here's why:

• I clean it every couple of weeks with a pet hair roller (disposable sticky paper sheets), picks up most of the lint and dust that the orb collects.
    • Blow it off with compressed air afterwards, to get the rest off.

After this, it's like new, sticky as honey, and my phone sticks and charges lickety-split (20% - 100% in < 2 hours).

Anyone who thinks their's is a POS, PM me. I'll take good care of it for ya. :P
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

I love my charging orb. No problems here either

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Follow Me:

Peace & Blessings.

Also had slippage problems with just glass back, to the point I couldn't trust it anymore. But I seem to have solved it without religious cleaning.

Orb is not magnetic, uses a grippy polymer to adhere. Use a little bit of pressure when you place the phone, say about as much as you'd use to press an elevator button and adherence/charging time improves dramatically.
    Thanked by:
    ChromeJob likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast