Nexus 4 on Wireless Orb carger - charging cutting in and out

spsilk

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I got the official Google Orb charger about a week ago, so far I'm at best neutral on it. I haven't had any of these issue with the phone sliding off it, although I suspect it's just a matter of time before the orb collects enough dust for that to start happening. However, I'm experiencing something IMO equally obnoxious.

Occasionally when charging, my phone will start to disconnect then reconnect from the charger over and over again quite quickly. Sometime the frequency will be once a minute or so, so I'll notice the phone screen come on out of the corner of my eye, hit the power button to turn it off, then 30-60 seconds later it's on again. Other times, the frequency is like once a second, so I'll see the screen come on, but when I look at it, I can see the little white lightning bolt flashing on an off like a status light. I'm not sure how long the latter behaviour will persist because I usually just lift the phone off then put it back on the charger in the identical position and it stops.

The most obvious answer is that I have my phone incorrectly placed on the orb, but I don't think that's the case. I'm always careful to place is straight up and down (portrait orientiation), with the bottom of the phone hovering about 1/3"-1/2" off the desk, not touching the desk, and with the phone horizontally centered on the orb. Also, I do not have any kind of cover on the back of the phone, and the stock plastic protector has been removed.

I understand there's supposed to be some logic that makes the phone charge to 100%, disconnect fully, drain to around 95%, reconnect and top up, exactly to prevent the kind of behaviour I'm seeing. However, I don't think that's what I'm seeing here as the frequency of disconnects/reconnect cycle is so high.

Any help would be appreciated. Do I just have a lemon here or is this expected behaviour? If the latter, why does Google consider this acceptable because it seems terrible to me.

Thanks.

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at the 2:15 mark on this video to see the exact location of the charging "antenna." Looks to me to be roughly 1" below the vertical center of the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay