Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Europe Editor

Lightbulb How to unlock the bootloader on the Nexus 4

Fastboot OEM unlock!

Remember you'll need to enable dev settings before doing all this.
    Thanked by 3:
    Erckul, multo and addictionsf like this.

Default Re: How to unlock the bootloader on the Nexus 4

so pretty much the same like expected. Love the Nexus freedom.
    Erckul likes this.

too easy

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

OK, I've used Android for a while but never rooted and really the main reason I'm considering it is to do full backups including app data. I think this is one of Android's main deficiencies anyone should be able to backup their phone without being rooted.

The fact that unlocking it "may" void your warranty sounds like it doesn't otherwise it would say "does"?

I have an app whose terms and conditions state that I shouldn't be rooted (not sure if it checks). The next step is probably to root after unlocking the boot loader, can the rooting be temporary applied (and if so easily) so I can keep the app happy :-)

Thanks for any info.

ROM
    cm 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by dbareis View Post
    The fact that unlocking it "may" void your warranty sounds like it doesn't otherwise it would say "does"?
    it is because you can revert back to your stock rom without root

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by dbareis View Post
    OK, I've used Android for a while but never rooted and really the main reason I'm considering it is to do full backups including app data. I think this is one of Android's main deficiencies anyone should be able to backup their phone without being rooted.

I have an app whose terms and conditions state that I shouldn't be rooted (not sure if it checks). The next step is probably to root after unlocking the boot loader, can the rooting be temporary applied (and if so easily) so I can keep the app happy :-)

Thanks for any info.
    If you think you ever might want to tinker.. then it is recommended you unlock as soon as you get the phone, because as you noted it wipes everything. Once that is done you do not have to root right away. When you choose to it will be easy and won't wipe anything, and while you remain stock with the bootloader unlocked all of your apps should function completely as normal, you will even receive OTA updates without a problem (and they will not relock the bootloader).

As for the warranty.. In most cases you'll find the language states that unlocking the bootloader and/or rooting will render your warranty "voidable", not void. Meaning the warranty provider (carrier, OEM, Google, whoever) would have the option to void it, but it doesn't mean they definitely will, and in many cases you'll find they won't void it if you need a replacement device because of a genuine hardware issue, although I can't guarantee it. Also worth noting that as a Nexus device, this phone will be very easy to restore the factory images to and relock the bootloader if you ever need, which would essentially make it pretty much impossible to determine it had ever been unlocked and rooted in the first place.

Thanked by 2:
    zero neck likes this.

Once you unlock the bootloader, and root the phone will an OTA update relock the bootloader and remove root?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post
    Once you unlock the bootloader, and root the phone will an OTA update relock the bootloader and remove root?
    OTA's will not have any effect on the bootloader. Usually you will lose root, though. This can be prevented by installing and using OTA Rootkeeper from the Play Store beforehand ; but if you forget, rooting the phone again after the OTA will be just as easy as the first time, just flashing the superuser.zip file.

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    OTA's will not have any effect on the bootloader. Usually you will lose root, though. This can be prevented by installing and using OTA Rootkeeper from the Play Store beforehand ; but if you forget, rooting the phone again after the OTA will be just as easy as the first time, just flashing the superuser.zip file.
    Thanks. Are there root instructions for the phone yet?

Awsome, can't wait for this phone to come out.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Thanks. Are there root instructions for the phone yet?
    We're going to write the guides up and have them ready for launch

If you would like to get a heads up, unlocking and rooting will be done almost exactly the same way as done on the Galaxy Nexus ([GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus) and Nexus 7 (http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...-recovery.html).

Really the only difference I presume will be that you'll need to install some LG drivers for windows/mac. A linux system will need no other preparation that I'm aware of. Again, we'll have full guides and links to any files you need ready next week
    Thanked by 3:
    blitz118 likes this.

OTA's will not have any effect on the bootloader. Usually you will lose root, though.
    OTAs will not work if any changes to the system files have been made though, right? I'm curious as to what qualifies as such a change - would Titanium Backup, Adblock Plus, LMT Launcher or GMD GestureControl affect the ability to update OTA?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Not in and of themselves.. But if for example you used TiBu to freeze or remove apps it probably would affect it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    AngryNil likes this.

Can the google search on the home screen bar be removed without root?

Does the home screens have infinite scrolling?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Can the google search on the home screen bar be removed without root?

Does the home screens have infinite scrolling?
    Absolutely, just use a 3rd party launcher. I highly recommend Nova:
    Although Apex is a fine choice as well: .

Both are based on the AOSP / stock launcher, so they will look and feel stock to you until you dig into the myriad of customization options they offer. I used Apex for a long time but now prefer Nova, its speed increase options are both subtle and superb, IMO. Definitely something to check out.
    zero neck likes this.

Just to clarify, so you have to use a launcher in order to remove the google search bar and to have infinite home screen scrolling?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Just to clarify, so you have to use a launcher in order to remove the google search bar and to have infinite home screen scrolling?
    Correct. Give Nova a try and I doubt you'll be disappointed. If for any reason you change your mind you can uninstall it just as easily as anything else.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Thanks for the help. Is there any way I could hide the soft keys (I am planning to use LMT / GMD as a substitute) without affecting it?
    Syrential likes this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Thanks for the help. Is there any way I could hide the soft keys (I am planning to use LMT / GMD as a substitute) without affecting it?
    Short of coding it yourself, the only way I know of would be running a custom ROM with that option. I know it's an option in AOKP, which I'm sure will be released for the Nexus 4, and perhaps in other ROMs as well.

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

I watched the video, but I'm a little confused. As someone completely new to Android, is there a step-by-step guide? (ie. for dummies)

I've Google'd, and got the Android SDK, and an exe called fastboot. That's about as far as I got so far.

Quote Originally Posted by squadz View Post
    I watched the video, but I'm a little confused. As someone completely new to Android, is there a step-by-step guide? (ie. for dummies)

I've Google'd, and got the Android SDK, and an exe called fastboot. That's about as far as I got so far.
    I am new to Android as well, but there are some great tutorials. Have you not checked out the Galaxy Nexus tutorial that was posted in this thread?

If you would like to get a heads up, unlocking and rooting will be done almost exactly the same way as done on the Galaxy Nexus ([GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus) and Nexus 7 ([GUIDE][MAC][PC][LINUX] How to Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery).
    Also (as it was as well mentioned in here) they will put up exact guides for the Nexus 4. It shouldn't be too difficult then!

EDIT: Just scroll up for the links, they weren't linked in my quote!

Quote Originally Posted by squadz View Post

If you want a better idea of the individual steps, you can watch the Nexus 7 unlock bootloader video: [VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

It's the same process.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Well, hopefully the BootUnlocker app will come to the N4. All you need is to be rooted and then you can safely unlock and relock without wiping any data.

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

I plan on unlocking and rooting the Nexus 4 the day it arrives. But I am new to all of that. I have looked through a ton of tutorials, and I have my PC all set up and ready to go. The only thing I might need to do is get the drivers from LG. Everything else seems to be good. What I'm curious about is, what happens when it's time to upgrade the phone if you are rooted?

I do not plan on using roms. I am only rooting so I can use USB OTG. I know the Nexus 7 needs rooted before you can fully use host mode. So I am expecting the Nexus 4 to be the same way. So how would I go about installing updates to the phone if I am rooted, but running the stock OS from Google?

Thanks to anyone that can offer some assistance, I've searched and read about it, but I'm still not understanding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I plan on unlocking and rooting the Nexus 4 the day it arrives. But I am new to all of that. I have looked through a ton of tutorials, and I have my PC all set up and ready to go. The only thing I might need to do is get the drivers from LG. Everything else seems to be good. What I'm curious about is, what happens when it's time to upgrade the phone if you are rooted?

I do not plan on using roms. I am only rooting so I can use USB OTG. I know the Nexus 7 needs rooted before you can fully use host mode. So I am expecting the Nexus 4 to be the same way. So how would I go about installing updates to the phone if I am rooted, but running the stock OS from Google?

Thanks to anyone that can offer some assistance, I've searched and read about it, but I'm still not understanding it.
    When Google pushes an update you will lose root if you are stock. Its just a matter of re-rooting after you take the update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
    Thanked by 2:
    2defmouze likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast