[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Factory Image Restore

MinimumEffort

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
ll steps go well, until I Get to system.img:
(null):nexus4 minimumeff$ ./fastboot flash system system.img sending 'system' (531285 KB)... ERROR: usb_read failed with status e00002ed FAILED (status read failed (No such file or directory))
I tried to change usb cables, ports etc but nothing :(
Any clues?

I'm using a mac.

Thanks!

burntgnat

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 4 Noob question! How to install 4.2.2

I used wugfresh to root my new Nexus 4 and installed Paranoid Android washed out screen fix without a hitch.

I am now attempting to install 4.2.2 by using TWRP and choosing install but it fails everytime.

I am not familiar with fastbooting but is using TWRP one method to fastboot?

What is the best way to install 4.2.2 with my current setup? Thank you!

I have read the FAQ but at this point am a bit stumped. Thanks for your patience.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
ll steps go well, until I Get to system.img:
(null):nexus4 minimumeff$ ./fastboot flash system system.img sending 'system' (531285 KB)... ERROR: usb_read failed with status e00002ed FAILED (status read failed (No such file or directory))
I tried to change usb cables, ports etc but nothing :(
Any clues?

I'm using a mac.

Thanks!

How do you do it with the toolkit? my N4 is completely wiped out, I cant install system.img ;(

Did you resolve this? Sorry missed the issue..

I used wugfresh to root my new Nexus 4 and installed Paranoid Android washed out screen fix without a hitch.

I am now attempting to install 4.2.2 by using TWRP and choosing install but it fails everytime.

I am not familiar with fastbooting but is using TWRP one method to fastboot?

What is the best way to install 4.2.2 with my current setup? Thank you!

I have read the FAQ but at this point am a bit stumped. Thanks for your patience.
You can't apply an OTA over a custom ROM, it needs to patch the stock system only, and you need stock recovery to do it as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

burntgnat

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks @2defmouze...however I am still a bit confused.

I didn't realize that I installed a custom rom when I rooted my device using wugfresh's steps.

I did install a flash to fix the washed out colors of the screen that paranoid android posted. I thought that might be the problem so I flashed back to the OEM kernel that paranoid had posted for the screen calibration from Google. However I still get a fail.

I guess Im confused because when I search on how to do this every webpage says you can flash using a custom recovery (they make it sound simple). Obviously I'm not getting it yet. I'll get there tho!

I am new to this entire Android market...my first device is the Nexus 4...after years of iPhone...sold my iPhone 5 for $700 on ebay and I am loving every minute of my android experience. Thanks for the help you post here. Sorry for any annoyance. I'll keep reading.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks @2defmouze...however I am still a bit confused.

I didn't realize that I installed a custom rom when I rooted my device using wugfresh's steps.

I did install a flash to fix the washed out colors of the screen that paranoid android posted. I thought that might be the problem so I flashed back to the OEM kernel that paranoid had posted for the screen calibration from Google. However I still get a fail.

I guess Im confused because when I search on how to do this every webpage says you can flash using a custom recovery (they make it sound simple). Obviously I'm not getting it yet. I'll get there tho!

I am new to this entire Android market...my first device is the Nexus 4...after years of iPhone...sold my iPhone 5 for $700 on ebay and I am loving every minute of my android experience. Thanks for the help you post here. Sorry for any annoyance. I'll keep reading.

Misunderstood thought you flashed PA ROM... Dont know what you did flash but if it changed the system at all then the OTA will likely not install.

Fady Awad

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 -problem

PLEASE I need help .

my friend formatted system, cache, factory reset on my nexus 4 and I cant go past the boot screen when it shows the google sign. my laptop does not recognize the device. would a flash drive work ? and if anything I can do to fix it please let me know it would be really appreciated

THANK YOU!

NicholasSpeaks

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Just tried using this guide with the new 4.2.2 image and stuff from google. My phone is stuck on the nexus bootlogo. Any ideas?

I am having the same problem. After going thru all the steps, phone reboots but sticks on the nexus logo screen.

Tried:
-rootnexus4 and nexus4-adb-fastboot
-multiple USB ports
-4.2.1 and 4.2.2 factor images
-removing the USB cable on reboot
-exchanging "-w" and "update"
-waiting a really long time

Thanks 2defmouze (or anyone else) for helping.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just tried using this guide with the new 4.2.2 image and stuff from google. My phone is stuck on the nexus bootlogo. Any ideas?

I am having the same problem. After going thru all the steps, phone reboots but sticks on the nexus logo screen.

Tried:
-rootnexus4 and nexus4-adb-fastboot
-multiple USB ports
-4.2.1 and 4.2.2 factor images
-removing the USB cable on reboot
-exchanging "-w" and "update"
-waiting a really long time

Thanks 2defmouze (or anyone else) for helping.

Keep trying.. Maybe a different usb cable as well, sometimes you may just need a few tries..

PLEASE I need help .

my friend formatted system, cache, factory reset on my nexus 4 and I cant go past the boot screen when it shows the google sign. my laptop does not recognize the device. would a flash drive work ? and if anything I can do to fix it please let me know it would be really appreciated

THANK YOU!

It won't boot because there is no system if you formatted it, lol. Do the full factory image restore following the guide.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Guys having boot loop issues after doing this see bitojoe's thread where he resolved it by wiping data after the restore. Will add that tip to the troubleshooting section later.

peteisaacs

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Great guide, unfortunately I'm stuck.
I've tried this with the new 4.2.2 image, and the 4.2.1 image you used (good thing I saved it). I've done it dozens of times on my Mac, and now several times on a PC.
Everything seems to work fine, but I never get past the Nexus logo after it reboots itself. I cannot get into stock recovery either (red exclamation mark).
Any ideas?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Great guide, unfortunately I'm stuck.
I've tried this with the new 4.2.2 image, and the 4.2.1 image you used (good thing I saved it). I've done it dozens of times on my Mac, and now several times on a PC.
Everything seems to work fine, but I never get past the Nexus logo after it reboots itself. I cannot get into stock recovery either (red exclamation mark).
Any ideas?

I believe you hold volume up and power at the red exclamation mark to enter stock recovery.. Try doing that and continue...

peteisaacs

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I believe you hold volume up and power at the red exclamation mark to enter stock recovery.. Try doing that and continue...

Yup, I did try that but it seemed to just reboot back into the bootloader.
Since I'm on a PC, I was able to use Wug's toolkit to get it back up and running, but I really don't like that I wasn't able to restore a factory image...I'm sure I'll need to do that in the future!
Since I have Wug's toolkit to fall back on, I'm gonna give the 4.2.2 image another go (after I recharge my battery).

peteisaacs

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, scratch that...still having issues after using WUG. Tried to go into recovery, and still can't get into it (android with red triangle/exclamation). Holding volume+ and power only powered the phone off, and made my notification LED turn red...that doesn't seem good.

mrdwong

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I followed the steps and I get stuck at boot up with the "X". I boot into TWRP and it asks me for a password. I had my phone encrypted before and I used that password, but it's not working. Is there a generic password that I can try. I think that is what is messing with the startup of the phone.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
it seems the google site only has 4.2.2 now. anyone know where i can download 4.2.1 from?

I have a link if you need.. But why? Just use the 4.2.2 image and change the filenames accordingly... I'll update the guide when I have some free time.

tigerchen

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a link if you need.. But why? Just use the 4.2.2 image and change the filenames accordingly... I'll update the guide when I have some free time.

The reason is 4.2.2 OTA caused my Nexus4 to not be able to connect to Simple Mobile at all. It's as if a SIM card wasn't in there. If i move SIM to iPhone 4, then it can connect.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca