Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Default Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Fantastic instructions. I followed them to the T, but for some reason it's saying that I don't have root privileges. I'm already customized my phone, so I'm scared to repeat the Root It step, but is there another way to find out what went wrong? I didn't receive any errors, or anything. (SuperSU didn't ask to update binaries, by the way)

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by squadz; 11-22-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    2defmouze likes this.
    Zee

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Just wanted to say a big THANKS for this guide. Right as soon as I got my Nexus 4 out of the box, I unlocked and rooted before I even installed my SIM card. LOL. All good, superuser working, even put on OTA rootkeeper and managed to keep root after an OTA update that was pushed to my phone right away.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member
    2defmouze likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by squadz View Post
    Fantastic instructions. I followed them to the T, but for some reason it's saying that I don't have root privileges. I'm already customized my phone, so I'm scared to repeat the Root It step, but is there another way to find out what went wrong? I didn't receive any errors, or anything. (SuperSU didn't ask to update binaries, by the way)

Any help is appreciated.
    What exactly is saying that you don't have root privileges? If you need to repeat the root steps again it won't wipe anything or hurt you at all, only the bootloader unlocking wipes the device.. so you can always just try re-rooting if something did not go properly

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    What exactly is saying that you don't have root privileges? If you need to repeat the root steps again it won't wipe anything or hurt you at all, only the bootloader unlocking wipes the device.. so you can always just try re-rooting if something did not go properly
    Titanium Backup and Root Checker both did. I'll try re-doing the Root It! tab.

Quote Originally Posted by squadz View Post
    Titanium Backup and Root Checker both did. I'll try re-doing the Root It! tab.
    From your previous post it sounds like you have SuperSU. If you do, try opening it and looking at the list of apps. Make sure SuperSU just isn't denying root permission to Titanium Backup and Root Checker. If the apps are listed in SuperSU, they should have a green hash tag symbol to the right of them.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    From your previous post it sounds like you have SuperSU. If you do, try opening it and looking at the list of apps. Make sure SuperSU just isn't denying root permission to Titanium Backup and Root Checker. If the apps are listed in SuperSU, they should have a green hash tag symbol to the right of them.
    Everything works again. Re-did it using the same SuperSU zip that was on my phone, and all is working now.
    2defmouze likes this.

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Question about the drivers. I downloaded the universal naked drivers, and unzipped it. Have the folder on my desktop. I'm running windows (not 8, embarrisingly vista!!!) but which file am I supposed to install?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by corolla90 View Post
    Question about the drivers. I downloaded the universal naked drivers, and unzipped it. Have the folder on my desktop. I'm running windows (not 8, embarrisingly vista!!!) but which file am I supposed to install?
    I believe when you plugin the phone in fastboot mode you can direct Windows to just search that directory for the driver it needs..

Can anyone confirm that? Again I don't use Windows for these things here..

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

I believe when you plugin the phone in fastboot mode you can direct Windows to just search that directory for the driver it needs..

Can anyone confirm that? Again I don't use Windows for these things here..
    Ok, thanks. That makes sense. I did this when I rooted my NS4G, but it's been so long now I couldn't remember.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Looks like I guessed correct about the Windows USB drivers side of things, seems the old right-click and Update Driver Software method should work if the preinstalled ones aren't the ones needed to root :

Windows 7

To install the Android USB driver on Windows 7 for the first time:

Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port.
    Right-click on Computer from your desktop or Windows Explorer, and select Manage.
    Select Devices in the left pane.
    Locate and expand Other device in the right pane.
    Right-click the device name (such as Nexus S) and select Update Driver Software. This will launch the Hardware Update Wizard.
    Select Browse my computer for driver software and click Next.
    Click Browse and locate the USB driver folder. (The Google USB Driver is located in <sdk>\extras\google\usb_driver\.)
    Click Next to install the driver.
    Or, to upgrade an existing Android USB driver on Windows 7 with the new driver:

Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port.
    Right-click on Computer from your desktop or Windows Explorer, and select Manage.
    Select Device Manager in the left pane of the Computer Management window.
    Locate and expand Android Phone in the right pane.
    Right-click Android Composite ADB Interface and select Update Driver. This will launch the Hardware Update Wizard.
    Select Install from a list or specific location and click Next.
    Select Search for the best driver in these locations; un-check Search removable media; and check Include this location in the search.
    Click Browse and locate the USB driver folder. (The Google USB Driver is located in <sdk>\extras\google\usb_driver\.)
    Click Next to upgrade the driver.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Thanks peejay.. I'll add a link to your post in the OP drivers section later

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Hey 2def, finally got my N4 ordered today. Got a quick unlock question...Should I turn the phone on for the first time and unlock it right then, or do you activate it first, then unlock? I know that unlocking wipes everthing, but I wondered if you needed to activate first.

Grey
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    2defmouze likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #63  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Hey 2def, finally got my N4 ordered today. Got a quick unlock question...Should I turn the phone on for the first time and unlock it right then, or do you activate it first, then unlock? I know that unlocking wipes everthing, but I wondered if you needed to activate first.

Grey
    I never gave mine a chance to boot locked, lol. I booted to the bootloader and unlocked it straight out of the box. Then set it up and made sure everything was working with the sim/network/hardware/etc, and rooted a few mins later

Congrats on getting the order through bud!
    Thanked by:

This is probably stupid, but in your instructions under the tab Re: PC/MAC/LINUX, it seems like you're saying that on a Windows PC (I'm running Windows 7), you need to type fastboot-windows blah, blah, blah, but then in your Unlocking the Bootloader tab, you just show yourself typing "fastboot oem unlock"

So my question is, do I need to type "fastboot oem unlock" or "fastboot-windows oem unlock" (minus the quotes)?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    This is probably stupid, but in your instructions under the tab Re: PC/MAC/LINUX, it seems like you're saying that on a Windows PC (I'm running Windows 7), you need to type fastboot-windows blah, blah, blah, but then in your Unlocking the Bootloader tab, you just show yourself typing "fastboot oem unlock"

So my question is, do I need to type "fastboot oem unlock" or "fastboot-windows oem unlock" (minus the quotes)?
    You type the version that is specific to what OS and fastboot file you are using, in this case, fastboot-windows. When you download the package there are 3 fastboot files in there: fastboot-linux, fastboot-windows and fastboot-mac.. the first word in your command tells your computer what file to reference when carrying out the command. So, when you type:
    fastboot-windows oem unlock
    You are telling your computer to reference the "fastboot-windows" file in the directory you have pointed your command prompt to, and to carry out the "oem unlock" command which that file knows how to do.

Make sense?
    Thanked by:

ALERT ALERT......mass exodus from the toro. Lotsa familiar faces. Already got n4 forum bookmarked. Wheres my dam phone? LOL
    2defmouze likes this.

You type the version that is specific to what OS and fastboot file you are using, in this case, fastboot-windows. When you download the package there are 3 fastboot files in there: fastboot-linux, fastboot-windows and fastboot-mac.. the first word in your command tells your computer what file to reference when carrying out the command. So, when you type:
    fastboot-windows oem unlock
    You are telling your computer to reference the "fastboot-windows" file in the directory you have pointed your command prompt to, and to carry out the "oem unlock" command which that file knows how to do.

Make sense?
    That's how I thought it worked, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    2defmouze likes this.

Need a bit of a help here for someone who is new to android, thanks!

I rooted my n4 using the method described by the OP on stock rom. Today I received the OTA update for 4.2.1 and updated, only later found out I have lost my root (as titanium backup could not backup).

What should I do now? Am I screwed?

I heard someone said something about voodoo root keeper, what is that? I will that help?

Thanks guys.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by hankdu View Post
    Need a bit of a help here for someone who is new to android, thanks!

I rooted my n4 using the method described by the OP on stock rom. Today I received the OTA update for 4.2.1 and updated, only later found out I have lost my root (as titanium backup could not backup).

What should I do now? Am I screwed?

I heard someone said something about voodoo root keeper, what is that? I will that help?

Thanks guys.

Re-root the exact same way you did the first time, follow the same directions and everything. You are already unlocked, just need to redo the root step.
    Also you can download OTA Rootkeeper to make it even easier for you on future updates. I believe both topics are addressed in the Troubleshooting / FAQ tab
    Thanked by:
    hankdu 

If you update to 4.2.1 then unlock it, will it go back to 4.2?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #71  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by pespule View Post
    If you update to 4.2.1 then unlock it, will it go back to 4.2?
    No, it will wipe your data including sd card, your system/ROM remains as is.

Thanks ever so much, it worked like a charm.
    2defmouze likes this.

I have windows 7 machine and the commands are not recognized when I trype them. What am I doing wrong?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #74  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post
    I have windows 7 machine and the commands are not recognized when I trype them. What am I doing wrong?
    Read the troubleshooting tab

The fastbboot devices command does not work for me.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast