[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey 2def, finally got my N4 ordered today. Got a quick unlock question...Should I turn the phone on for the first time and unlock it right then, or do you activate it first, then unlock? I know that unlocking wipes everthing, but I wondered if you needed to activate first.

Grey

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey 2def, finally got my N4 ordered today. Got a quick unlock question...Should I turn the phone on for the first time and unlock it right then, or do you activate it first, then unlock? I know that unlocking wipes everthing, but I wondered if you needed to activate first.

Grey

I never gave mine a chance to boot locked, lol. I booted to the bootloader and unlocked it straight out of the box. Then set it up and made sure everything was working with the sim/network/hardware/etc, and rooted a few mins later :)

Congrats on getting the order through bud!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
This is probably stupid, but in your instructions under the tab Re: PC/MAC/LINUX, it seems like you're saying that on a Windows PC (I'm running Windows 7), you need to type fastboot-windows blah, blah, blah, but then in your Unlocking the Bootloader tab, you just show yourself typing "fastboot oem unlock"

So my question is, do I need to type "fastboot oem unlock" or "fastboot-windows oem unlock" (minus the quotes)?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This is probably stupid, but in your instructions under the tab Re: PC/MAC/LINUX, it seems like you're saying that on a Windows PC (I'm running Windows 7), you need to type fastboot-windows blah, blah, blah, but then in your Unlocking the Bootloader tab, you just show yourself typing "fastboot oem unlock"

So my question is, do I need to type "fastboot oem unlock" or "fastboot-windows oem unlock" (minus the quotes)?

You type the version that is specific to what OS and fastboot file you are using, in this case, fastboot-windows. When you download the package there are 3 fastboot files in there: fastboot-linux, fastboot-windows and fastboot-mac.. the first word in your command tells your computer what file to reference when carrying out the command. So, when you type:
fastboot-windows oem unlock
You are telling your computer to reference the "fastboot-windows" file in the directory you have pointed your command prompt to, and to carry out the "oem unlock" command which that file knows how to do.

Make sense?
:)

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
ALERT ALERT......mass exodus from the toro. Lotsa familiar faces. Already got n4 forum bookmarked. Wheres my dam phone? LOL

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
You type the version that is specific to what OS and fastboot file you are using, in this case, fastboot-windows. When you download the package there are 3 fastboot files in there: fastboot-linux, fastboot-windows and fastboot-mac.. the first word in your command tells your computer what file to reference when carrying out the command. So, when you type:
fastboot-windows oem unlock
You are telling your computer to reference the "fastboot-windows" file in the directory you have pointed your command prompt to, and to carry out the "oem unlock" command which that file knows how to do.

Make sense?
:)

That's how I thought it worked, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Need a bit of a help here for someone who is new to android, thanks!

I rooted my n4 using the method described by the OP on stock rom. Today I received the OTA update for 4.2.1 and updated, only later found out I have lost my root (as titanium backup could not backup).

What should I do now? Am I screwed? :(

I heard someone said something about voodoo root keeper, what is that? I will that help?

Thanks guys.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Need a bit of a help here for someone who is new to android, thanks!

I rooted my n4 using the method described by the OP on stock rom. Today I received the OTA update for 4.2.1 and updated, only later found out I have lost my root (as titanium backup could not backup).

What should I do now? Am I screwed? :(

I heard someone said something about voodoo root keeper, what is that? I will that help?

Thanks guys.

Re-root the exact same way you did the first time, follow the same directions and everything. You are already unlocked, just need to redo the root step.
Also you can download OTA Rootkeeper to make it even easier for you on future updates. I believe both topics are addressed in the Troubleshooting / FAQ tab :)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ima need that promotion so i can sticky this thread.

WHERE YOU AT D??? stop value-adding and eating your party opponents for lunch!

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a general question about rooted devices. I'm new to android, I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question:

I rooted my Nexus 4 and was browsing the memory using astro file manager. I don't quite understand the file structure on my phone as to what files are safe to fiddle with and what are not.

For example there are three folders with exactly the same content: storage/emulated, storage/sdcard0, sd card. Why?

Am I right thinking all the folders under the root (home) directory should be left alone? But ones in the above three directory can be deleted? They seems to contain app data.

I want to clean up my phone memory so that's why I'm looking for files to delete.

Thanks everyone :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
@handku... The sdcard gets referenced under a few identities, such as what you found as well as /data/media... In general I'd say don't just go around deleting things from anywhere, lol.. But you can use good judgement and remove things from there if you must. Any app info being stored on that partition is probably needed for the app to function and relatively insignificant in size so it's best to leave it alone tho.

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
@handku... The sdcard gets referenced under a few identities, such as what you found as well as /data/media... In general I'd say don't just go around deleting things from anywhere, lol.. But you can use good judgement and remove things from there if you must. Any app info being stored on that partition is probably needed for the app to function and relatively insignificant in size so it's best to leave it alone tho.

Thanks for your advice, I will refrain myself from deleting files I am not familiar with.