Like Tree111Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #76  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post
    The fastbboot devices command does not work for me.
    Read the 3rd tab on PC/Linux/Mac

You need to use:
    fastboot-windows on a Windows machine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Ima need that promotion so i can sticky this thread.

WHERE YOU AT D??? stop value-adding and eating your party opponents for lunch!

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *
    Thanked by:
    davey11 and 2defmouze like this.

I have a general question about rooted devices. I'm new to android, I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question:

I rooted my Nexus 4 and was browsing the memory using astro file manager. I don't quite understand the file structure on my phone as to what files are safe to fiddle with and what are not.

For example there are three folders with exactly the same content: storage/emulated, storage/sdcard0, sd card. Why?

Am I right thinking all the folders under the root (home) directory should be left alone? But ones in the above three directory can be deleted? They seems to contain app data.

I want to clean up my phone memory so that's why I'm looking for files to delete.

Thanks everyone :-)

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #79  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

@handku... The sdcard gets referenced under a few identities, such as what you found as well as /data/media... In general I'd say don't just go around deleting things from anywhere, lol.. But you can use good judgement and remove things from there if you must. Any app info being stored on that partition is probably needed for the app to function and relatively insignificant in size so it's best to leave it alone tho.

Default [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    @handku... The sdcard gets referenced under a few identities, such as what you found as well as /data/media... In general I'd say don't just go around deleting things from anywhere, lol.. But you can use good judgement and remove things from there if you must. Any app info being stored on that partition is probably needed for the app to function and relatively insignificant in size so it's best to leave it alone tho.

Thanks for your advice, I will refrain myself from deleting files I am not familiar with.

Thanks for the guide, unlocked and rooted within ten minutes of opening the box. Windows 7 had a hissy fit with the drivers but I'll explain that in more detail shortly.

zero neck likes this.

Hey again, just a little note, not being pedantic but just in case anyone encounters a similar issue, when booting into Fastboot the phone was obviously recognised by Windows as an "Android" device as opposed to a Nexus 4 as when first connected. I pointed it to the SDK drvers which allowed it to be recognised and then the Bootloader unlock worked, when I proceeded to the next step and rebooted the phone, skipped the setup screen and reconnected it to plug back in and copy the SuperSU ZIP over the phone was still being recognised as an Android Device Bridge (or similar wording) so wasn't being picked up as a mass storage device.

I had to "Uninstall" the device from Device Manager and also tick the box to "remove device software", then when I reconnected it picked up the phone as a Nexus 4 and mass storage mode was available, I then continued as normal.

Could the SuperSU ZIP be copied over any earlier in the process?

Thanks

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by peejay1977 View Post
    Hey again, just a little note, not being pedantic but just in case anyone encounters a similar issue, when booting into Fastboot the phone was obviously recognised by Windows as an "Android" device as opposed to a Nexus 4 as when first connected. I pointed it to the SDK drvers which allowed it to be recognised and then the Bootloader unlock worked, when I proceeded to the next step and rebooted the phone, skipped the setup screen and reconnected it to plug back in and copy the SuperSU ZIP over the phone was still being recognised as an Android Device Bridge (or similar wording) so wasn't being picked up as a mass storage device.

I had to "Uninstall" the device from Device Manager and also tick the box to "remove device software", then when I reconnected it picked up the phone as a Nexus 4 and mass storage mode was available, I then continued as normal.

Could the SuperSU ZIP be copied over any earlier in the process?

Thanks

Paul.
    Yes.
    adb push SuperSU.zip /sdcard/SuperSU.zip would have done it.

2Def.
    I ported my GNex guide over...for the simple reason that I wanted to test out that awesome thing you've got going on in the OP.
    Not trying to step on your toes =]

I quoted your post to get the code...
    TITLE tags encompassing TAB tags...
    But my post came out without swagger format set to on.
    How U Make Pretty?
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #84  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Jubakuba View Post
    Yes.
    adb push SuperSU.zip /sdcard/SuperSU.zip would have done it.

2Def.
    I ported my GNex guide over...for the simple reason that I wanted to test out that awesome thing you've got going on in the OP.
    Not trying to step on your toes =]

I quoted your post to get the code...
    TITLE tags encompassing TAB tags...
    But my post came out without swagger format set to on.
    How U Make Pretty?
    Yep the adb push command Jubakuba mentioned should work, although sometimes I've found people can have trouble with it, could be a recovery issue, so I listed the instructions using the "easier" method, lol.

And Jubakuba.. No problem with you sharing your guide here at all, but that tabbing feature is an Advisor's trick only, that's why you can't get it to show, lol

Thanked by:
    Jubakuba likes this.

Yep the adb push command Jubakuba mentioned should work, although sometimes I've found people can have trouble with it, could be a recovery issue, so I listed the instructions using the "easier" method, lol.

And Jubakuba.. No problem with you sharing your guide here at all, but that tabbing feature is an Advisor's trick only, that's why you can't get it to show, lol

Aw shucks.
    No wonder.

As far as people having issues with adb pushing...
    Did you list the command as:
    Code:
    adb push fancyhappyjoyjoy.**** /sdcard/
    ?
    That could definitely be the issue...for some reason.
    I never had a problem doing this on either an earlier sdk or my Droid and Droid X...not sure if it's due to the updated sdk or the fact that the Nexus devices don't have an actual SDCard.

Either way:
    Code:
    adb push fancyhappyjoyjoy.**** /sdcard/fancyhappyjoyjoy.****
    SHOULD work.
    Thanked by:
    2defmouze likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #86  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Jubakuba View Post
    Aw shucks.
    No wonder.

As far as people having issues with adb pushing...
    Did you list the command as:
    Code:
    adb push fancyhappyjoyjoy.**** /sdcard/
    ?
    That could definitely be the issue...for some reason.
    I never had a problem doing this on either an earlier sdk or my Droid and Droid X...not sure if it's due to the updated sdk or the fact that the Nexus devices don't have an actual SDCard.

Either way:
    Code:
    adb push fancyhappyjoyjoy.**** /sdcard/fancyhappyjoyjoy.****
    SHOULD work.
    Gotcha... Ima have to try it that way later

The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

hsouldnt really matter but i've always done it this (adb push fancyhappyjoyjoy.**** /sdcard/fancyhappyjoyjoy.****) way anyhow.

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *

2def, forgive my stupidity, but I know that drivers are a touchy subject. I'm on a Windows 7 pc (64 bit). After downloading the universal driver zip file, do I just need to unzip it in the same directory that my adb and fastboot files are in, or is there one or more files that I need to double click (or something) to install the driver?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #89  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    2def, forgive my stupidity, but I know that drivers are a touchy subject. I'm on a Windows 7 pc (64 bit). After downloading the universal driver zip file, do I just need to unzip it in the same directory that my adb and fastboot files are in, or is there one or more files that I need to double click (or something) to install the driver?
    Lol no stupid questions Window's drivers can be tricky, part of why I don't even use Windows, lol. They don't go in the adb and fastboot file directory, when you plug the phone into the computer in fastboot mode you want to point windows to whatever directory the drivers are in when it asks if you want to locate them or have Windows try to do it automatically. If it tries to do it automatically without asking you'll have to just remove them through your device manager and install them manually through the ones you downloaded here. Try and follow the tip I gave in the OP, as well as peejay's posts here, #60 and #82 if you need more help. Let me know how it works out and any additional steps you need to take, if any, so we can help out anyone in the future too
    Thanked by:

Lol no stupid questions Window's drivers can be tricky, part of why I don't even use Windows, lol. They don't go in the adb and fastboot file directory, when you plug the phone into the computer in fastboot mode you want to point windows to whatever directory the drivers are in when it asks if you want to locate them or have Windows try to do it automatically. If it tries to do it automatically without asking you'll have to just remove them through your device manager and install them manually through the ones you downloaded here. Try and follow the tip I gave in the OP, as well as peejay's posts here, #60 and #82 if you need more help. Let me know how it works out and any additional steps you need to take, if any, so we can help out anyone in the future too
    Thanks. Of all the files located in the zip, do you happen to know which one is the driver when using a Windows 7 64 bit system?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #91  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Thanks. Of all the files located in the zip, do you happen to know which one is the driver when using a Windows 7 64 bit system?
    Not off hand.. but I believe Windows should select the appropriate one when you point it to the directory that the zip leaves you with.
    Thanked by:

2def, do I need to boot up my N4 first and turn on USB debugging to unlock, or did you just turn yours on for the very first time into fastboot mode (holding the volume down and power button) and unlock right out of the box?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #93  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

2def, do I need to boot up my N4 first and turn on USB debugging to unlock, or did you just turn yours on for the very first time into fastboot mode (holding the volume down and power button) and unlock right out of the box?
    Right out of the box. Fastboot does not use or need USB debugging enabled

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.2.1; CM7.2(nook)

Thanks OP, excellent guide! I was able to unlock and root following a little trouble with getting the right driver to be recognized. Lovin' the N4; my Evo 4G just became a paperweight.
    zero neck and 2defmouze like this.

Piece of cake 2def! Worked like a charm and only took about 10 minutes.

Thanks,

Grey
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    2defmouze likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #96  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Piece of cake 2def! Worked like a charm and only took about 10 minutes.

Thanks,

Grey
    That's what I like to hear!

Now that I've unlocked and rooted, if I want to boot into recovery, do I have to hook up to my pc and use fastboot? I'm used to hitting my power button and selecting "reboot recovery," but that doesn't exist right now.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #98  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Now that I've unlocked and rooted, if I want to boot into recovery, do I have to hook up to my pc and use fastboot? I'm used to hitting my power button and selecting "reboot recovery," but that doesn't exist right now.
    For now, until you flash it permanently and run a ROM with an APM (advanced power menu). Other option is to use Goomanager as it has an option to flash recovery and boot you into it.
    Thanked by:

Crap...for some reason I can't get TiBu to run. Says I don't have root even though it shows up as an app in SuperSU. Any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind. I rebooted and it worked.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Having trouble myself. Read other people are having trouble recognising there device in fastboot. I'm using windows xp 32bit and also using the new toolkit. I went throw all the steps including no to update, installing drivers, the correct su, and getting into fastboot. theres where im stuck. it tells me to get into fastboot and hit yes to install when I'm ready but nothing happens. It sits there saying waiting for device. Any clue if I'm missing something here?? any and all help is welcomed
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast