Like Tree111Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #101  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Quote Originally Posted by EVO28312 View Post
    Having trouble myself. Read other people are having trouble recognising there device in fastboot. I'm using windows xp 32bit and also using the new toolkit. I went throw all the steps including no to update, installing drivers, the correct su, and getting into fastboot. theres where im stuck. it tells me to get into fastboot and hit yes to install when I'm ready but nothing happens. It sits there saying waiting for device. Any clue if I'm missing something here?? any and all help is welcomed
    Based on your other thread I'm going to assume you figured this out? What was the issue?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #102  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Updated links to CWM version 6.0.2.0 for Mako... if you are a CWM user you will want to use the latest version, presumably squashing some bugs and stuff.

Also updated the SuperSU zip for version .99... if you were already rooted using the earlier one you should have gotten the upgrade via the Play Store in the last few days, so you don't have to do anything. The new flashable version is just for people rooting going forward.

Thanked by:
    Zee

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Updated links to CWM version 6.0.2.0 for Mako... if you are a CWM user you will want to use the latest version, presumably squashing some bugs and stuff.

Also updated the SuperSU zip for version .99... if you were already rooted using the earlier one you should have gotten the upgrade via the Play Store in the last few days, so you don't have to do anything. The new flashable version is just for people rooting going forward.

I originally used TWRP Recovery as per your instructions, I still have it on my PC when I need to boot into recovery (haven't flashed the recovery only boot into it), I don't need to do anything new do I?
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #104  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by mzanette View Post
    I originally used TWRP Recovery as per your instructions, I still have it on my PC when I need to boot into recovery (haven't flashed the recovery only boot into it), I don't need to do anything new do I?
    Nope.

Please update your post with this guide for installing windows 7 drivers, as your method is very vague and well it didnt help at all.

Thanks for the guidehowever! it is very good.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #106  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser Carter View Post
    Please update your post with this guide for installing windows 7 drivers, as your method is very vague and well it didnt help at all.

I'll take a look at it and add in anything that sounds good.. It was helpful to you I take it?

Zee

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    I'll take a look at it and add in anything that sounds good.. It was helpful to you I take it?

I didn't think your method to install windows drivers was vague, but then again i'm very familiar with installing/updating drivers on Windows through device manager.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member

do you really have to write fastboot-windows oem unlock? In vidoes I have watched they just use fastboot oem unlock, and in Phil's video he doesnt use ./ infront (as you siad you should do when using Mac)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #109  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Olle M View Post
    do you really have to write fastboot-windows oem unlock? In vidoes I have watched they just use fastboot oem unlock, and in Phil's video he doesnt use ./ infront (as you siad you should do when using Mac)
    "fastboot-windows" (or -mac, etc) is the name of the file I've provided for your system. This part of the command tells your system what file to reference for the command. If you rename it to just "fastboot" then you can just enter that, but since I've provided 3 different files they need to be named for their appropriate system or there would be chaos, lol.

In short, the answer is Yes. Lol.

To the 2nd question, I noted what I have been told is the format you must use when entering a command on a mac, and advised that you should be aware of the basics of entering commands on whatever system you are using. I've never used a mac so all I have to go on is what I've been told from other users here and seen through my experiences in the forums.

Thanked by:
    Olle M 
    zero neck likes this.

thanks!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #111  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Recovery update: Links updated to new files.. TWRP has been updated to v2.3.3.2 and CWM was updated to v6.0.2.3... As usual, bug fixes and optimizations. Recommend everyone download and use the latest
    Thanked by 3:
    zero neck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser Carter View Post

Yeah, and that link isn't fully comprehensive either, says to enable usb bedugging without saying howto do it (I managed to find it after some googling - just click on build No. 7 times) ... but I had to do that before my nexus 4 (after uninstalling the driver) would show up (with the yellow warning triangle) to be able to re-direct it to the drivers the guide mentions.

However, now I got stuck, must have gone wrong somewhere but the guide is so clear I don't get what's happened, hoping 2def will be able to help me on this one.

So I got all the files just fine, installed the new drivers alright, unlocked the bootloader just fine. Then when copying over the CMW-SuperSU-v099.zip it went a bit funny (it didn't appear as a zip on my phone but rather a local drive, and wouldn't let me re-copy the file over or delete that thing that appeared ... but figured maybe it was supposed to do that? So I re-loaded into the bootloader and trying to run the fastboot-windows boot recovery.img and it just says "cannot load 'recovery.img'" ... so, where did I balls up? and what is the deal with that file when it gets copied across ..

Update: when booting up my phone for a second time (wanted another look at that funky file) it appears properly as the zip file.

Update 2: fixed it ... forgot windows sometimes handles the . bit annoyingly so the file was called recovery.img.img .... uuugh
    Thanked by:

ok i need some help. i unlocked the boot loader and now im trying to root it. i know it sees my phone. i downloaded the twrp and renamed it recovery.img and its in the folder with all my adb files. so i go and type fastboot-windows boot recovery.img and it says cannot load recovery.img so i tried fastboot-windows flash recovery.img and it says unknown partition error: cannot determine image filename for recovery.img. What am i doing wrong? I downloaded it again and tried but it didnt worked. i tried downloading cwm but i cant even download it. any help would be great.

Edit: I read the post above me and got it to work. It was called recovery.img.img. so now I'm unlocked and rooted! Now what Haha!
    Last edited by corance; 12-23-2012 at 10:17 PM.

I flashed cwm with the rom manager and realized i wanted to stock recovery back so i FINALLY found the factory image and flashed the factory recovery.img. How can i tell that im on stock recovery and that cwm and twrp are not on there any more? I will be booting into twrp and not flashing it. I just want to make sure the factory recovery flashed. How do i check?

Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    I flashed cwm with the rom manager and realized i wanted to stock recovery back so i FINALLY found the factory image and flashed the factory recovery.img. How can i tell that im on stock recovery and that cwm and twrp are not on there any more? I will be booting into twrp and not flashing it. I just want to make sure the factory recovery flashed. How do i check?
    Reboot into bootloader. Choose Recovery. You will get Android with red warning sign. That means you have stock recovery not custom. Worked for me.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Duh, I don't know why I didn't think of that. It worked. So now I'm back to stock recovery. I really wish I could find cwm to download cause I don't want to use ROM manager to flash it. Oh well I can always boot into twrp. Thanks!

Duh, I don't know why I didn't think of that. It worked. So now I'm back to stock recovery. I really wish I could find cwm to download cause I don't want to use ROM manager to flash it. Oh well I can always boot into twrp. Thanks!
    Cheers I use TWRP to flash ROMs and most importantly backup.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #118  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

The bootable cwm image file is linked in the OP right below the TWRP one, lol

Yeah it doesn't work. It goes to a page with letters, numbers, and symbols....like some type of coding.

Yeah it doesn't work. It goes to a page with letters, numbers, and symbols....like some type of coding.
    Right click and save as.

Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
    Thanked by:
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Finally got my mako delivered. promptly unlocked, flashed team win, and softbricked with romans 12/30 build hahahhaa.

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *
    2defmouze likes this.

a few noob questions not sure if it's in the right place but here it goes:

1. Can you delete stock ROM and just have a custom ROM?
    2. If I have a back up of a stock ROM with 12gb of Apps and i got no apps on the custom ROM do i have to download them again and will the phone run out of memory because the other apps are still on the phone somewhere? (i forgot to back up my apps)
    3.(I made a Nandroid back up though how can i reinstall the apps?)
    4. How can i restore the phone to factory defaults (still keeping the root etc)?
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    a few noob questions not sure if it's in the right place but here it goes:

1. Can you delete stock ROM and just have a custom ROM?
    2. If I have a back up of a stock ROM with 12gb of Apps and i got no apps on the custom ROM do i have to download them again and will the phone run out of memory because the other apps are still on the phone somewhere? (i forgot to back up my apps)
    3.(I made a Nandroid back up though how can i reinstall the apps?)
    4. How can i restore the phone to factory defaults (still keeping the root etc)?
    1. when you make a nandroid backup, you have essentially a compressed backup saved to your virtual sd card. this will save your system and data, but does not save your sd card contents (these are untouched when you flash a custom rom, tho, so you dont have to worry about losing them except when you unlock the bootloader).
    so, when you flash a custom rom you will wipe data, format system, and wipe cache and dalvik cache. in so doing, you are erasing your stock rom, and then flashing the custom rom on a clean slate. You won't be running 2 roms, 1 in the background, or anything like that.

2. If you made a nandroid backup of your stock system, you can't restore apps from that. What you can do is flash the nandroid backup you made in recovery, then use Titanium Backup to back up your apps. That will backup your apps to the virtual sd card, or dropbox if you want, and you can restore all the apps to the custom rom that you flash. You're phone won't run out of memory.

3. Nandroid backups are safety net system/data backups - it's like a snapshot of how your phone was when you made it. Titanium backup backs up apps and settings/app data. 2Defmouse has a really good titanium guide in his signature.

4. If you want to restore to factory settings, follow 2def's guide to restore to stock - however, when you finish restoring the stock images, don't lock the bootloader. then you can flash or temporarily boot recovery and install the supersu file to have root. If you want more details just ask, one of use will certainly provide them for ya.

Hope that helps

Thanked by 2:
    2defmouze and AbuYazeedUK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zero neck View Post
    1. when you make a nandroid backup, you have essentially a compressed backup saved to your virtual sd card. this will save your system and data, but does not save your sd card contents (these are untouched when you flash a custom rom, tho, so you dont have to worry about losing them except when you unlock the bootloader).
    so, when you flash a custom rom you will wipe data, format system, and wipe cache and dalvik cache. in so doing, you are erasing your stock rom, and then flashing the custom rom on a clean slate. You won't be running 2 roms, 1 in the background, or anything like that.

2. If you made a nandroid backup of your stock system, you can't restore apps from that. What you can do is flash the nandroid backup you made in recovery, then use Titanium Backup to back up your apps. That will backup your apps to the virtual sd card, or dropbox if you want, and you can restore all the apps to the custom rom that you flash. You're phone won't run out of memory.

3. Nandroid backups are safety net system/data backups - it's like a snapshot of how your phone was when you made it. Titanium backup backs up apps and settings/app data. 2Defmouse has a really good titanium guide in his signature.

4. If you want to restore to factory settings, follow 2def's guide to restore to stock - however, when you finish restoring the stock images, don't lock the bootloader. then you can flash or temporarily boot recovery and install the supersu file to have root. If you want more details just ask, one of use will certainly provide them for ya.

Hope that helps
    Thanks that has cleared some things up. I have another question is there anyway i can delete all my apps one time? what i really wanna do is have a ROM and then start installing my apps one at a time so when i check app storage i want it to say 12gb available memory. When i flashed my ROM i had no apps but when i went to the apps storage i only had a gig left (maybe because of my apps i had on the stock ROM?)
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    Thanks that has cleared some things up. I have another question is there anyway i can delete all my apps one time? what i really wanna do is have a ROM and then start installing my apps one at a time so when i check app storage i want it to say 12gb available memory. When i flashed my ROM i had no apps but when i went to the apps storage i only had a gig left (maybe because of my apps i had on the stock ROM?)
    I would think it's more likely the stuff on your sd card - like pics, songs, movies or what have you.
    When you flash the rom after wiping data/system/cache/dalvik, you then flash the gapps (google apps) package so you only really have a handful of apps when you first log into the rom. However, you're google account settings may be re-installing the apps you were using on stock. That can be turned off on the computer when you log into your google account.

With titanium, you can go through all your backed up apps and restore the ones you want, one at a time. I'd have a look at what's on your SD card and see if there's some stuff taking up that space.

Also, the rom itself will take up some space once installed - but it shouldn't be that much. A gig maybe, probably less.

Thanked by:
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast