Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Is there anyway i can wipe the data now while on this custom ROM and start with a fresh install of apps? and what is the directory for the SD Card /Storage/Emulated/0
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    Is there anyway i can wipe the data now while on this custom ROM and start with a fresh install of apps? and what is the directory for the SD Card /Storage/Emulated/0
    Yeah you can boot into recovery and wipe data, clear cache, clear dalvik cache, and format system - and still in recovery, install the rom that you've got on your sd card and then install gapps. This will give you the rom on a clean slate.

Sd card should be /sdcard - if you open it up on the computer or with a file manager it should be the first folder that comes up, or at least it will be root/sdcard/

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *
    Thanked by 2:
    2defmouze and AbuYazeedUK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zero neck View Post
    Yeah you can boot into recovery and wipe data, clear cache, clear dalvik cache, and format system - and still in recovery, install the rom that you've got on your sd card and then install gapps. This will give you the rom on a clean slate.

Sd card should be /sdcard - if you open it up on the computer or with a file manager it should be the first folder that comes up, or at least it will be root/sdcard/
    Really appreciate the help I just done what you said wiped data/factory reset, cleared cache and dalvik and this is what it looks like clean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root-screenshot_2013-01-02-01-29-15.png   [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root-screenshot_2013-01-02-01-32-00.png  
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Really appreciate the help I just done what you said wiped data/factory reset, cleared cache and dalvik and this is what it looks like clean
    1. What's all that misc stuff?
    2. How many nandroid backups have you made?

If you've made alot of backups, you can go into the file where theyre stored on the sd card and delete all of them that you don't need (you should always have 1 backup so that you have something to fall back on in case something goes wrong, some people like to keep more than one, but personally i think it's a waste of space unless there's some specific reason you want more of them).

Thanked by 2:
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.

1. What's all that misc stuff?
    2. How many nandroid backups have you made?

If you've made alot of backups, you can go into the file where theyre stored on the sd card and delete all of them that you don't need (you should always have 1 backup so that you have something to fall back on in case something goes wrong, some people like to keep more than one, but personally i think it's a waste of space unless there's some specific reason you want more of them).
    **** I had two backups **** knows why but I deleted one of them and it's gone to 5gb available, what happens if I delete all my backups?

I'm a little lost here. There isn't a removable SD card so when you say you can wipe everything but you'll still have stuff on your sd card... What do you mean? Where can I save stuff so it won't be deleted when I wipe everything? I guess I'm asking where are nandroid backups and Roms saved so they aren't deleted when you do I wipe?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #132  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

**** I had two backups **** knows why but I deleted one of them and it's gone to 5gb available, what happens if I delete all my backups?
    Nothing.. you really only need one saved on there, you can always move others to your computer for safe keeping. Also browse around the sd card and just see what else is taking up space, whatever app you're using to browse files should show the size of each directory and maybe you'll get an idea of what can be removed to free up some space.

Zero thanks much for helping out, I've been a bit busy and was without forum access since my phone died last night lol
    Thanked by 2:
    zero neck and AbuYazeedUK like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #133  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    I'm a little lost here. There isn't a removable SD card so when you say you can wipe everything but you'll still have stuff on your sd card... What do you mean? Where can I save stuff so it won't be deleted when I wipe everything? I guess I'm asking where are nandroid backups and Roms saved so they aren't deleted when you do I wipe?
    The sdcard/internal storage directory does not get wiped by a custom recovery when you select "Wipe data/factory reset" from within recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    The sdcard/internal storage directory does not get wiped by a custom recovery when you select "Wipe data/factory reset" from within recovery.
    OK so that's where backups and stuff are saved? So could you, let's say move a music folder there, do a full wipe, install rom, then move the music folder back where it came from?

Nothing.. you really only need one saved on there, you can always move others to your computer for safe keeping. Also browse around the sd card and just see what else is taking up space, whatever app you're using to browse files should show the size of each directory and maybe you'll get an idea of what can be removed to free up some space.

Zero thanks much for helping out, I've been a bit busy and was without forum access since my phone died last night lol
    So I have one backup on my phone now, I just copy that to my laptop and then I can delete it from my phone?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #136  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

OK so that's where backups and stuff are saved? So could you, let's say move a music folder there, do a full wipe, install rom, then move the music folder back where it came from?
    That's the only place you would ever put it in the first place, lol.. doesn't really do any good in another directory.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #137  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

So I have one backup on my phone now, I just copy that to my laptop and then I can delete it from my phone?
    If you wish.. I'd recommend a less capable user keep one backup on the phone in case of emergency. As you get more confident you could keep them on your computer only.
    Thanked by:

If you wish.. I'd recommend a less capable user keep one backup on the phone in case of emergency. As you get more confident you could keep them on your computer only.
    The only reason I want to delete it is because on the stock ROM I had a few apps so it's quite a big back up, I want to restore my phone to factory defaults make a back up (small one I'm guessing) then flash a ROM and start loading apps etc is that right thinking or am I lost lol?

That's the only place you would ever put it in the first place, lol.. doesn't really do any good in another directory.
    I am using es explorer and on there I didn't see SD/internal. My back up I saved with twrp is in SD/twrp. This is all new to me because my other phone had an SD card so when I did a wipe or something, none of my music or pics were deleted because they were on the card. There is no card here sorry for stupid questions.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

If you plan to flash roms regularly, or on the go, you should have one. Otherwise, if something happens, you'll have to connect to the computer before you can fix it by, for isntance, restoring back to stock.

I am using es explorer and on there I didn't see SD/internal. My back up I saved with twrp is in SD/twrp. This is all new to me because my other phone had an SD card so when I did a wipe or something, none of my music or pics were deleted because they were on the card. There is no card here sorry for stupid questions.
    yeah the virtual sd is just a partition on the storage that acts like an external sdcard. your music should be on the virtual sd as it is, you shouldnt need to move it around. and nothing on the sd is wiped when flashing roms/deleting data - sd is only wiped when unlocking the bootloader (or if you manually wipe the sdcard in recovery, but it will warn you if you try to do that *at least on twrp).

@ 2def - no problem meng

Thanked by 2:
    2defmouze and AbuYazeedUK like this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #141  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

The only reason I want to delete it is because on the stock ROM I had a few apps so it's quite a big back up, I want to restore my phone to factory defaults make a back up (small one I'm guessing) then flash a ROM and start loading apps etc is that right thinking or am I lost lol?
    You can do that, personally I don't think it's necessary. Typically you make a backup before you wipe and flash a new ROM in case you don't like the ROM or something doesn't work right. Making one after the flash is a little redundant, IMO.

That's the directory, you're just confusing the terminology. It's the sdcard directory, nevermind the slashes I used earlier, was just naming different terms for it
    Thanked by:

If you plan to flash roms regularly, or on the go, you should have one. Otherwise, if something happens, you'll have to connect to the computer before you can fix it by, for isntance, restoring back to stock.

yeah the virtual sd is just a partition on the storage that acts like an external sdcard. your music should be on the virtual sd as it is, you shouldnt need to move it around. and nothing on the sd is wiped when flashing roms/deleting data - sd is only wiped when unlocking the bootloader (or if you manually wipe the sdcard in recovery, but it will warn you if you try to do that *at least on twrp).

@ 2def - no problem meng
    OK when you flash a ROM you're supposed to wipe data and cache and all that... What exactly does that delete? I thought that was a clean slate, like new rom , no apps, etc.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #143  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

OK when you flash a ROM you're supposed to wipe data and cache and all that... What exactly does that delete? I thought that was a clean slate, like new rom , no apps, etc.
    It deletes the userdata partition without wiping the internal storage aka sdcard partition, thereby allowing you to flash something from there after the wipe as well as keep all your pics, music, etc that is stored in that area and not have to lose it all.
    Thanked by:

Thanks guys I'll see where I go from here, any ROMs you guys recommend or is it all personal preference? What's the most stable?
    zero neck likes this.

It deletes the userdata partition without wiping the internal storage aka sdcard partition, thereby allowing you to flash something from there after the wipe as well as keep all your pics, music, etc that is stored in that area and not have to lose it all.
    So what's the point of titanium backup if your pics, music, and apps aren't deleted?
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

btw, when using ES file manager everything it shows you is on the SD card, unless you've gone into the settings and given the app root privileges so it shows you your system stuff. *i believe, anyway, it's been a while since i used ES.

as for stable roms, the only two i've tried for mako (got it yesterday) are aokp nightlies and cm10.1 nightlies. both are stable but are works in progress. 2def probably has a better handle on roms since he's had this phone forever.

aokp rules tho.

- - - Updated - - -

So what's the point of titanium backup if your pics, music, and apps aren't deleted?
    your apps are deleted - titanium creates backups of them, and stores the backups on the sd card so you can restore them after flashing a rom.

Thanked by 2:
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #147  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

your apps are deleted - titanium creates backups of them, and stores the backups on the sd card so you can restore them after flashing a rom.
    What Zero said. Your /data partition stores your user data, apps, as well as the sdcard stuff. The sdcard partition specifically is under /data/media and this part is not wiped by a custom recovery, while the rest is.
    Thanked by:

What Zero said. Your /data partition stores your user data, apps, as well as the sdcard stuff. The sdcard partition specifically is under /data/media and this part is not wiped by a custom recovery, while the rest is.
    OK this is all new to me coming from a phone with an sd card. I'm just assuming when I make a backup on twrp it saves it where it needs to go as well as titanium backup. Thanks for the help guys.
    zero neck likes this.

I'm having some trouble with rooting the phone,I've unlocked it and I typed in "fastboot-windows boot recovery.img" in the command prompt and keep receiving the message "cannot load recovery.img"
    Last edited by CommanderBob22; 01-02-2013 at 11:31 PM.

I'm back with a factory nandroid backup and flashed AOKP ROM with all my apps and 10gb space left sweet thanks for help guys :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast