Like Tree111Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #151  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderBob22 View Post
    I'm having some trouble with rooting the phone,I've unlocked it and I typed in "fastboot-windows boot recovery.img" in the command prompt and keep receiving the message "cannot load recovery.img"
    Check that you renamed the file correctly. If windows kept the .img extension hidden you may have only needed to name it "recovery".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Check that you renamed the file correctly. If windows kept the .img extension hidden you may have only needed to name it "recovery".

Renaming it worked. Thank you so much for this guide!

Sorry if this has been asked many times...So to make a Nandroid backup with the recovery not permanently flashed, I can go into the bootloader, plug my phone in, do the "fastboot boot recovery.img" then just proceed to the recovery option? Because right now I get the little dude with a red "!"
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #154  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Betty View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked many times...So to make a Nandroid backup with the recovery not permanently flashed, I can go into the bootloader, plug my phone in, do the "fastboot boot recovery.img" then just proceed to the recovery option? Because right now I get the little dude with a red "!"
    Yes, you're seeing stock recovery right now. Boot the custom one temporarily and do as you desire

Yes, you're seeing stock recovery right now. Boot the custom one temporarily and do as you desire

Ok sounds good. And thanks for putting together the guide. It's nice having all the files needed together in one place and it was very easy to follow.
    2defmouze likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #156  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Ok sounds good. And thanks for putting together the guide. It's nice having all the files needed together in one place and it was very easy to follow.
    No problem, good to hear you got everything you need!

Where can I put titanium backup so I don't lose it when I flash a ROM? I hate having to download it again to restore my backups. Also, is there a way to make the backup of my apps smaller? Like a zip or something so my backup isn't taking up 1 gig of space?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #158  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    Where can I put titanium backup so I don't lose it when I flash a ROM? I hate having to download it again to restore my backups. Also, is there a way to make the backup of my apps smaller? Like a zip or something so my backup isn't taking up 1 gig of space?
    You can create a zip within TiBu to flash after the ROM, so it will be installed when you boot up. Check the link in my signature to the TiBu guide I wrote

Maybe shouldn't belong in this thread but hopefully someone can help. I downloaded AOKP and the Gapps packages from here () and flashed AOKP and then Gapps. Everything seems to be fine except the Google apps aren't there. Play Store, Gmail, and Messaging are there but that's about it. I tried doing it twice, wiping/factory reset each time and same thing. Any ideas? Is there any difference just downloading them manually from the play store?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #160  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Maybe shouldn't belong in this thread but hopefully someone can help. I downloaded AOKP and the Gapps packages from here () and flashed AOKP and then Gapps. Everything seems to be fine except the Google apps aren't there. Play Store, Gmail, and Messaging are there but that's about it. I tried doing it twice, wiping/factory reset each time and same thing. Any ideas? Is there any difference just downloading them manually from the play store?
    The gapps packages don't include apps available in the Play Store, helps save space.. You can just download and install them from the Store

You had better luck than I had. I got everything installed but I couldn't get a data connection. I did the APN settings the same and rebooted but still no luck. Any ideas?

i can't get fastboot to rercognize my device (step 4, unlocking the bootloader) i have usb debugging enabled and have re downloaded the files a few times, is there an easy way to get the fastboot to recognize my device?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #163  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Whovian13 View Post
    i can't get fastboot to rercognize my device (step 4, unlocking the bootloader) i have usb debugging enabled and have re downloaded the files a few times, is there an easy way to get the fastboot to recognize my device?
    Make sure you are entering it for your fastboot file and system, i.e. fastboot-windows or fastboot-mac.. The instructions are general but the 3rd tab I believe explains what I mean.

Hi 2defmouze,

Thanks for the guide - simpler than all the others I have found

I still get stuck, however, when trying to root. I run ubuntu 12.10 and have tried 5+ different guides out there so far with varying success.

Managed to oem unlock no problem. I get stuck with the rooting, as follows:
    Code:
    $ fastboot boot recovery.img
    < waiting for device >
    I'm in bootloader on my nexus 4 and placed recovery.img both in /usr/local/android-sdk/platform-tools (where the script installs it) and Nautilus pushed it to the sdcard. fastboot just hangs there doing nothing. Tried sudo and...
    Code:
    cannot load 'recovery.img'
    So, I stupidly thought that ADB and fastboot weren't set up properly and ran the script you linked to earlier in the thread at rootz wiki. Still get the same problem but now 'adb devices' and 'fastboot devices' don't list my device Any ideas? Been at this for over 24 hours now - any help would be truly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    James

Hi again,

Ignore my last post. Quicker and faster using this:

Did the whole thing in a matter of seconds - worth checking out

Cheers,
    James

ROM
    CM 9.1

VERY VERY Good writeup. Quick and easy. Had my N4 unlocked and rooted in less than 20 minutes. Awesome job guys!! Thank you!

Question here defmouze, I unlocked main with the xda toolkit but I don't know how to install a custom recovery myself without rooting. Is in the Root it! tab but still don't know how.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #168  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by CrazCruz View Post
    Question here defmouze, I unlocked main with the xda toolkit but I don't know how to install a custom recovery myself without rooting. Is in the Root it! tab but still don't know how.
    You can boot into the custom recovery with:
    fastboot boot recovery.img

Where "recovery.img" is replaced with the name-of-recovery.img if it's different, or you can rename the recovery image to recovery.img. To flash it permanently you need to rename or delete the file recovery-from-boot.p from /system. I believe there may be another file to alter as well.
    Thanked by:

Just want to say thanks for posting this. Great help for an android newbie like myself.

I keep getting a "cannot load recovery.img" prompt when in fastboot. I dont know what to do from here.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. You should really consider going back and editing the step where it says rename the image file to "recovery.img" because thats what I named it and thats why I was having issues. It should just be named "recovery" and when you enter the "fastboot boot" prompt, thats when you add the .img to it. I read that wrong and i'm not sure if anybody else might have had that issue (or if im just an ***** lol)
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #171  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by DeadpoolJunior View Post
    I keep getting a "cannot load recovery.img" prompt when in fastboot. I dont know what to do from here.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. You should really consider going back and editing the step where it says rename the image file to "recovery.img" because thats what I named it and thats why I was having issues. It should just be named "recovery" and when you enter the "fastboot boot" prompt, thats when you add the .img to it. I read that wrong and i'm not sure if anybody else might have had that issue (or if im just an ***** lol)
    That's really only a concern in Windows if you have it set to not show file extensions when renaming them, AFAIK. Many people change that setting, and those who haven't usually figure that part out... but maybe I'll add something to note that in the OP..

That's really only a concern in Windows if you have it set to not show file extensions when renaming them, AFAIK. Many people change that setting, and those who haven't usually figure that part out... but maybe I'll add something to note that in the OP..
    Yeah no worries. Like I said in the post, I may just be an ***** on that one lol
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #173  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Update: TWRP updated to version 2.4.0.0, new direct link in OP.. many improvement and bugfixes, full changelog can be found scrolling down here:

As a note, users who are already rooted can save some time and energy updating their recoveries by installing from the Play Store. Once installed open it and grant it root access. Tap the action bar, followed by Install OpenRecoveryScript. Confirm Yes, and make sure the next box shows the correct file to download and automatically flash for you - it should have the latest version number and 'mako' in the filename. Then just let it do it's thing and you'll be good to go

Already updated to 2.4.1.0
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    Already updated to 2.4.1.0
    Yes, I just tried to get root with 2.4.1.0 and it didn't work. My attempt to boot the recovery.img from this file left me hung up on "downloading 'boot.img'..." Once I deleted this version of recovery.img and created a new one from openrecovery-twrp-2.4.0.0-mako.img, the phone booted up as expected and I was able to flash SuperSU. So stick with 2.4.0.0. Although it may be fine for those who are already rooted.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast