Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Quote Originally Posted by AFM1204 View Post
    Yes, I just tried to get root with 2.4.1.0 and it didn't work. My attempt to boot the recovery.img from this file left me hung up on "downloading 'boot.img'..." Once I deleted this version of recovery.img and created a new one from openrecovery-twrp-2.4.0.0-mako.img, the phone booted up as expected and I was able to flash SuperSU. So stick with 2.4.0.0. Although it may be fine for those who are already rooted.
    Worked fine for me.

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Awesome write up 2def. Worked like a charm, not that I expected different
    2defmouze likes this.

I did'nt know dos worth a damn let alone linux other than fixing clones and servers ........left IT for 10 years now I'm in love with linux my manifest is hacked up jacked up but a bricked phone odin, wub, gnextkit and sdk could'nt fix i did on the command prompt no special scripts...........yeah.....that's what's up.........thanks for some stuff off your page..and your dedication to adb which i was still having some faith cuz the brick responded to one command -s =Will

Default [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Can someone explain how to upgrade to 4.2.2 without losing the root and custom kernel? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Does this works for sure? Because I want to root a Nexus 4 and I'm on a foreign country, so I'd love to do this and get the phone to work with my local mobile provider!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #181  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by hankdu View Post
    Can someone explain how to upgrade to 4.2.2 without losing the root and custom kernel? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Read the FAQ, and the kernel will need to be flashed again after the OTA. Only should take a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Fajardo View Post
    Does this works for sure? Because I want to root a Nexus 4 and I'm on a foreign country, so I'd love to do this and get the phone to work with my local mobile provider!
    Yes, it does.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for pointing me to the FAQ but just to be sure that I am on the right line: I need to wait for the OTA to show up on my phone, install 4.2.2 as instructed and reinstall the kernel. I currently have OTA root keeper installed, so that means there is no need to reroot. Is this about right? Again, many thanks.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #183  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by hankdu View Post
    Thanks for pointing me to the FAQ but just to be sure that I am on the right line: I need to wait for the OTA to show up on my phone, install 4.2.2 as instructed and reinstall the kernel. I currently have OTA root keeper installed, so that means there is no need to reroot. Is this about right? Again, many thanks.
    Use the program to backup root, then restore it after the OTA. Reflash whatever kernel you want after the OTA as well. If you had to re-root it would be as simple as flashing the SuperSU zip again anyway.. Only takes a few seconds since your bootloader will stay unlocked.

Quick dumb question I've flashed back to stock 4.2.2 will the AOKP ROM work if it's based on 4.2.1?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #185  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    Quick dumb question I've flashed back to stock 4.2.2 will the AOKP ROM work if it's based on 4.2.1?
    Yes.. Just wipe fully in recovery before flashing anything. If the ROM is based on a different Android version then that is the version you'll be running, and the OTA is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Yes.. Just wipe fully in recovery before flashing anything. If the ROM is based on a different Android version then that is the version you'll be running, and the OTA is irrelevant.

So there was no point me updating to 4.2.2? lol I may as well wait for a 4.2.2 based ROM to be released.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #187  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    So there was no point me updating to 4.2.2? lol I may as well wait for a 4.2.2 based ROM to be released.
    Yep

Thanked by:

Default Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock, Flash Recovery, Root

An excellent guide, and much appreciated by me. Thank you. Got my N4 a few weeks ago, and ready to break it free.

Thanks! Your post helped me a lot!

I'm a recent convert from iOS so unlocking and rooting is a bit new to me. Jailbreaking was definitely more mass packaged, but this was much more fun.

first can i do this method with 4.2.2 as i have not got my nexus yet and im guessing it will be shipped to me with 4.2.2.

also this method will not install CWM permanently? only installs to access/flash the SuperSU zip . so does that mean if i ever wanted to flash a customROM id have to put CWM on again?

Default [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Use the program to backup root, then restore it after the OTA. Reflash whatever kernel you want after the OTA as well. If you had to re-root it would be as simple as flashing the SuperSU zip again anyway.. Only takes a few seconds since your bootloader will stay unlocked.
    Thanks so much for your help! Really appreciate it.

Can I make a backup image of my current setup before unlocking the bootloader similar to nandroid backup in cwm?

Or least to the point where all my apps and widgets and settings can be restored to look the way it is now?

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #193  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
    Can I make a backup image of my current setup before unlocking the bootloader similar to nandroid backup in cwm?

Or least to the point where all my apps and widgets and settings can be restored to look the way it is now?

Look up Carbon Backup and Restore in the Play Store

Hi everyone,
    The Universal Naked Driver folder contains some files, but how to install them?

I just tried to root my Nexus 4 using this guide How to Root Nexus 4 on Mac! ~ Android Rootz | Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more! I flashed the recovery and rebooted, but when trying to go into recovery mode I noticed that my powered-off phone was no longer able to boot AT ALL. I can't get any sign of life from my phone and I don't know why. Is there any way I can get past this or start over?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #196  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by rluttrell View Post
    I just tried to root my Nexus 4 using this guide How to Root Nexus 4 on Mac! ~ Android Rootz | Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more! I flashed the recovery and rebooted, but when trying to go into recovery mode I noticed that my powered-off phone was no longer able to boot AT ALL. I can't get any sign of life from my phone and I don't know why. Is there any way I can get past this or start over?
    Charge it and hold the power button until it boots...?

In "Setup & Files" you go on about how you're going to be using TWRP and how much you like it over ClockworkMod Recovery..
    and then in "Root It !" you end up giving the example in CWM situation :P

just saying :P love the guide btw.. really straight forward and helpful
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #198  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Filth.Injector View Post
    In "Setup & Files" you go on about how you're going to be using TWRP and how much you like it over ClockworkMod Recovery..
    and then in "Root It !" you end up giving the example in CWM situation :P

just saying :P love the guide btw.. really straight forward and helpful
    Did I really? Lol never noticed.

If I want to root without custom recovery I can just push the superuser file via ADB after I am unlocked, right?
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #200  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysus View Post
    If I want to root without custom recovery I can just push the superuser file via ADB after I am unlocked, right?
    No, you'd need to push the binary, and set the appropriate permissions. Might be more to do as well. Overall it's much simpler to boot a custom recovery and flash it.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast