[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the guide, unlocked and rooted within ten minutes of opening the box. Windows 7 had a hissy fit with the drivers but I'll explain that in more detail shortly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey again, just a little note, not being pedantic but just in case anyone encounters a similar issue, when booting into Fastboot the phone was obviously recognised by Windows as an "Android" device as opposed to a Nexus 4 as when first connected. I pointed it to the SDK drvers which allowed it to be recognised and then the Bootloader unlock worked, when I proceeded to the next step and rebooted the phone, skipped the setup screen and reconnected it to plug back in and copy the SuperSU ZIP over the phone was still being recognised as an Android Device Bridge (or similar wording) so wasn't being picked up as a mass storage device.

I had to "Uninstall" the device from Device Manager and also tick the box to "remove device software", then when I reconnected it picked up the phone as a Nexus 4 and mass storage mode was available, I then continued as normal.

Could the SuperSU ZIP be copied over any earlier in the process?

Thanks

Paul.

Jubakuba

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey again, just a little note, not being pedantic but just in case anyone encounters a similar issue, when booting into Fastboot the phone was obviously recognised by Windows as an "Android" device as opposed to a Nexus 4 as when first connected. I pointed it to the SDK drvers which allowed it to be recognised and then the Bootloader unlock worked, when I proceeded to the next step and rebooted the phone, skipped the setup screen and reconnected it to plug back in and copy the SuperSU ZIP over the phone was still being recognised as an Android Device Bridge (or similar wording) so wasn't being picked up as a mass storage device.

I had to "Uninstall" the device from Device Manager and also tick the box to "remove device software", then when I reconnected it picked up the phone as a Nexus 4 and mass storage mode was available, I then continued as normal.

Could the SuperSU ZIP be copied over any earlier in the process?

Thanks

Paul.

Yes.
adb push SuperSU.zip /sdcard/SuperSU.zip would have done it.

2Def.
I ported my GNex guide over...for the simple reason that I wanted to test out that awesome thing you've got going on in the OP.
Not trying to step on your toes =]

I quoted your post to get the code...
TITLE tags encompassing TAB tags...
But my post came out without swagger format set to on.
How U Make Pretty?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes.
adb push SuperSU.zip /sdcard/SuperSU.zip would have done it.

2Def.
I ported my GNex guide over...for the simple reason that I wanted to test out that awesome thing you've got going on in the OP.
Not trying to step on your toes =]

I quoted your post to get the code...
TITLE tags encompassing TAB tags...
But my post came out without swagger format set to on.
How U Make Pretty?

Yep the adb push command Jubakuba mentioned should work, although sometimes I've found people can have trouble with it, could be a recovery issue, so I listed the instructions using the "easier" method, lol.

And Jubakuba.. No problem with you sharing your guide here at all, but that tabbing feature is an Advisor's trick only, that's why you can't get it to show, lol ;)

Jubakuba

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep the adb push command Jubakuba mentioned should work, although sometimes I've found people can have trouble with it, could be a recovery issue, so I listed the instructions using the "easier" method, lol.

And Jubakuba.. No problem with you sharing your guide here at all, but that tabbing feature is an Advisor's trick only, that's why you can't get it to show, lol ;)

Aw shucks.
No wonder.

As far as people having issues with adb pushing...
Did you list the command as:
Code:
adb push fancyhappyjoyjoy.poop /sdcard/
?
That could definitely be the issue...for some reason.
I never had a problem doing this on either an earlier sdk or my Droid and Droid X...not sure if it's due to the updated sdk or the fact that the Nexus devices don't have an actual SDCard.

Either way:
Code:
adb push fancyhappyjoyjoy.poop /sdcard/fancyhappyjoyjoy.poop
SHOULD work.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Aw shucks.
No wonder.

As far as people having issues with adb pushing...
Did you list the command as:
Code:
adb push fancyhappyjoyjoy.poop /sdcard/
?
That could definitely be the issue...for some reason.
I never had a problem doing this on either an earlier sdk or my Droid and Droid X...not sure if it's due to the updated sdk or the fact that the Nexus devices don't have an actual SDCard.

Either way:
Code:
adb push fancyhappyjoyjoy.poop /sdcard/fancyhappyjoyjoy.poop
SHOULD work.

Gotcha... Ima have to try it that way later :)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
hsouldnt really matter but i've always done it this (adb push fancyhappyjoyjoy.poop /sdcard/fancyhappyjoyjoy.poop) way anyhow.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
2def, forgive my stupidity, but I know that drivers are a touchy subject. I'm on a Windows 7 pc (64 bit). After downloading the universal driver zip file, do I just need to unzip it in the same directory that my adb and fastboot files are in, or is there one or more files that I need to double click (or something) to install the driver?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
2def, forgive my stupidity, but I know that drivers are a touchy subject. I'm on a Windows 7 pc (64 bit). After downloading the universal driver zip file, do I just need to unzip it in the same directory that my adb and fastboot files are in, or is there one or more files that I need to double click (or something) to install the driver?

Lol no stupid questions ;) Window's drivers can be tricky, part of why I don't even use Windows, lol. They don't go in the adb and fastboot file directory, when you plug the phone into the computer in fastboot mode you want to point windows to whatever directory the drivers are in when it asks if you want to locate them or have Windows try to do it automatically. If it tries to do it automatically without asking you'll have to just remove them through your device manager and install them manually through the ones you downloaded here. Try and follow the tip I gave in the OP, as well as peejay's posts here, #60 and #82 if you need more help. Let me know how it works out and any additional steps you need to take, if any, so we can help out anyone in the future too :)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Lol no stupid questions ;) Window's drivers can be tricky, part of why I don't even use Windows, lol. They don't go in the adb and fastboot file directory, when you plug the phone into the computer in fastboot mode you want to point windows to whatever directory the drivers are in when it asks if you want to locate them or have Windows try to do it automatically. If it tries to do it automatically without asking you'll have to just remove them through your device manager and install them manually through the ones you downloaded here. Try and follow the tip I gave in the OP, as well as peejay's posts here, #60 and #82 if you need more help. Let me know how it works out and any additional steps you need to take, if any, so we can help out anyone in the future too :)

Thanks. Of all the files located in the zip, do you happen to know which one is the driver when using a Windows 7 64 bit system?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Of all the files located in the zip, do you happen to know which one is the driver when using a Windows 7 64 bit system?

Not off hand.. but I believe Windows should select the appropriate one when you point it to the directory that the zip leaves you with.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
2def, do I need to boot up my N4 first and turn on USB debugging to unlock, or did you just turn yours on for the very first time into fastboot mode (holding the volume down and power button) and unlock right out of the box?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
2def, do I need to boot up my N4 first and turn on USB debugging to unlock, or did you just turn yours on for the very first time into fastboot mode (holding the volume down and power button) and unlock right out of the box?

Right out of the box. Fastboot does not use or need USB debugging enabled :)

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks OP, excellent guide! I was able to unlock and root following a little trouble with getting the right driver to be recognized. Lovin' the N4; my Evo 4G just became a paperweight.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Now that I've unlocked and rooted, if I want to boot into recovery, do I have to hook up to my pc and use fastboot? I'm used to hitting my power button and selecting "reboot recovery," but that doesn't exist right now.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Now that I've unlocked and rooted, if I want to boot into recovery, do I have to hook up to my pc and use fastboot? I'm used to hitting my power button and selecting "reboot recovery," but that doesn't exist right now.

For now, until you flash it permanently and run a ROM with an APM (advanced power menu). Other option is to use Goomanager as it has an option to flash recovery and boot you into it.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Crap...for some reason I can't get TiBu to run. Says I don't have root even though it shows up as an app in SuperSU. Any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind. I rebooted and it worked.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Having trouble myself. Read other people are having trouble recognising there device in fastboot. I'm using windows xp 32bit and also using the new toolkit. I went throw all the steps including no to update, installing drivers, the correct su, and getting into fastboot. theres where im stuck. it tells me to get into fastboot and hit yes to install when I'm ready but nothing happens. It sits there saying waiting for device. Any clue if I'm missing something here?? any and all help is welcomed