[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Maybe shouldn't belong in this thread but hopefully someone can help. I downloaded AOKP and the Gapps packages from here ([ROM] [4.2.1] AOKP :: jb-mr1 :: build-1 :: mako - xda-developers) and flashed AOKP and then Gapps. Everything seems to be fine except the Google apps aren't there. Play Store, Gmail, and Messaging are there but that's about it. I tried doing it twice, wiping/factory reset each time and same thing. Any ideas? Is there any difference just downloading them manually from the play store?

You had better luck than I had. I got everything installed but I couldn't get a data connection. I did the APN settings the same and rebooted but still no luck. Any ideas?

Whovian13

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
i can't get fastboot to rercognize my device (step 4, unlocking the bootloader) i have usb debugging enabled and have re downloaded the files a few times, is there an easy way to get the fastboot to recognize my device?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
i can't get fastboot to rercognize my device (step 4, unlocking the bootloader) i have usb debugging enabled and have re downloaded the files a few times, is there an easy way to get the fastboot to recognize my device?

Make sure you are entering it for your fastboot file and system, i.e. fastboot-windows or fastboot-mac.. The instructions are general but the 3rd tab I believe explains what I mean.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jamesgs

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi 2defmouze,

Thanks for the guide - simpler than all the others I have found :)

I still get stuck, however, when trying to root. I run ubuntu 12.10 and have tried 5+ different guides out there so far with varying success.

Managed to oem unlock no problem. I get stuck with the rooting, as follows:
Code:
$ fastboot boot recovery.img
< waiting for device >

I'm in bootloader on my nexus 4 and placed recovery.img both in /usr/local/android-sdk/platform-tools (where the script installs it) and Nautilus pushed it to the sdcard. fastboot just hangs there doing nothing. Tried sudo and...
Code:
cannot load 'recovery.img'

So, I stupidly thought that ADB and fastboot weren't set up properly and ran the script you linked to earlier in the thread at rootz wiki. Still get the same problem but now 'adb devices' and 'fastboot devices' don't list my device :( Any ideas? Been at this for over 24 hours now - any help would be truly appreciated.

Many thanks,
James

CrazCruz

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Question here defmouze, I unlocked main with the xda toolkit but I don't know how to install a custom recovery myself without rooting. Is in the Root it! tab but still don't know how.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Question here defmouze, I unlocked main with the xda toolkit but I don't know how to install a custom recovery myself without rooting. Is in the Root it! tab but still don't know how.

You can boot into the custom recovery with:
fastboot boot recovery.img

Where "recovery.img" is replaced with the name-of-recovery.img if it's different, or you can rename the recovery image to recovery.img. To flash it permanently you need to rename or delete the file recovery-from-boot.p from /system. I believe there may be another file to alter as well.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting a "cannot load recovery.img" prompt when in fastboot. I dont know what to do from here.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. You should really consider going back and editing the step where it says rename the image file to "recovery.img" because thats what I named it and thats why I was having issues. It should just be named "recovery" and when you enter the "fastboot boot" prompt, thats when you add the .img to it. I read that wrong and i'm not sure if anybody else might have had that issue (or if im just an idiot lol)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting a "cannot load recovery.img" prompt when in fastboot. I dont know what to do from here.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. You should really consider going back and editing the step where it says rename the image file to "recovery.img" because thats what I named it and thats why I was having issues. It should just be named "recovery" and when you enter the "fastboot boot" prompt, thats when you add the .img to it. I read that wrong and i'm not sure if anybody else might have had that issue (or if im just an idiot lol)

That's really only a concern in Windows if you have it set to not show file extensions when renaming them, AFAIK. Many people change that setting, and those who haven't usually figure that part out... but maybe I'll add something to note that in the OP..

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
That's really only a concern in Windows if you have it set to not show file extensions when renaming them, AFAIK. Many people change that setting, and those who haven't usually figure that part out... but maybe I'll add something to note that in the OP..

Yeah no worries. Like I said in the post, I may just be an idiot on that one lol

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Update: TWRP updated to version 2.4.0.0, new direct link in OP.. many improvement and bugfixes, full changelog can be found scrolling down here: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.4 - | TeamWin

As a note, users who are already rooted can save some time and energy updating their recoveries by installing GooManager from the Play Store. Once installed open it and grant it root access. Tap the action bar, followed by Install OpenRecoveryScript. Confirm Yes, and make sure the next box shows the correct file to download and automatically flash for you - it should have the latest version number and 'mako' in the filename. Then just let it do it's thing and you'll be good to go :)

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Already updated to 2.4.1.0
Yes, I just tried to get root with 2.4.1.0 and it didn't work. My attempt to boot the recovery.img from this file left me hung up on "downloading 'boot.img'..." Once I deleted this version of recovery.img and created a new one from openrecovery-twrp-2.4.0.0-mako.img, the phone booted up as expected and I was able to flash SuperSU. So stick with 2.4.0.0. Although it may be fine for those who are already rooted.

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock &amp; Root

Yes, I just tried to get root with 2.4.1.0 and it didn't work. My attempt to boot the recovery.img from this file left me hung up on "downloading 'boot.img'..." Once I deleted this version of recovery.img and created a new one from openrecovery-twrp-2.4.0.0-mako.img, the phone booted up as expected and I was able to flash SuperSU. So stick with 2.4.0.0. Although it may be fine for those who are already rooted.

Worked fine for me.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock &amp; Root

Awesome write up 2def. Worked like a charm, not that I expected different :)

Del Tubbs

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I did'nt know dos worth a damn let alone linux other than fixing clones and servers ........left IT for 10 years now I'm in love with linux my manifest is hacked up jacked up but a bricked phone odin, wub, gnextkit and sdk could'nt fix i did on the command prompt no special scripts...........yeah.....that's what's up.........thanks for some stuff off your page..and your dedication to adb which i was still having some faith cuz the brick responded to one command -s =Will

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain how to upgrade to 4.2.2 without losing the root and custom kernel? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ricardo Fajardo

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Does this works for sure? Because I want to root a Nexus 4 and I'm on a foreign country, so I'd love to do this and get the phone to work with my local mobile provider!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci