[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

Ice Phrozen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hm you'll have to be more specific... see the two parts I bolded above are not really clear to me. Which recovery is not working and which one is? And how are you getting into the one that is working? (I am assuming by flashing it or booting into it from fastboot but need to clarify..)

It's possible that recoveries (either/both CWM and TWRP) need updating for the new system.. haven't heard of that myself yet but stranger things have happened. But yeah in any case you can see from his G+ post that Koush is working on the superuser issue still, so you would have to wait anyway before rooting 4.3 unless you want to use SuperSU.

Personally I'm going to be sitting tight until the issues are sorted out or a stable AOKP or CM build for 4.3 comes out (as the custom ROMs can much more easily work around the superuser problem since they are building from source).

Under the "Root It" tab of your guide, and following the steps to BOOT recovery.img via flashboot results in me rebooting into a black screen, and it just stays like that.

To get around this, I powered off the phone, booted into flashboot, and instead of booting in flashboot, I FLASHED recovery.img (flashboot flash recovery recovery.img). Launched the recovery (by selected it via the volume rocker), and flashed superuser.zip from there.

Just trying to understand why booting recovery.img via flashboot, as it's listed in your guide, isn't working for me.

Thanks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Under the "Root It" tab of your guide, and following the steps to BOOT recovery.img via flashboot results in me rebooting into a black screen, and it just stays like that.

To get around this, I powered off the phone, booted into flashboot, and instead of booting in flashboot, I FLASHED recovery.img (flashboot flash recovery recovery.img). Launched the recovery (by selected it via the volume rocker), and flashed superuser.zip from there.

Just trying to understand why booting recovery.img via flashboot, as it's listed in your guide, isn't working for me.

Thanks.

Ahhh I follow you now.. but I can't answer that, because I don't know, lol... it usually works fine. And in fact I'm surprised it would let you flash a custom recovery if you are on an unrooted, stock system. Although if you reboot into the bootloader and try going to recovery I expect it will have been replaced with the stock one again, so you'll probably need to just re-enter the flash command before trying to get into it next time.

Ice Phrozen

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ahhh I follow you now.. but I can't answer that, because I don't know, lol... it usually works fine. And in fact I'm surprised it would let you flash a custom recovery if you are on an unrooted, stock system. Although if you reboot into the bootloader and try going to recovery I expect it will have been replaced with the stock one again, so you'll probably need to just re-enter the flash command before trying to get into it next time.

Haha, nope. Custom recovery is still here after rebooting. Tis a mystery! But thanks anyways!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Haha, nope. Custom recovery is still here after rebooting. Tis a mystery! But thanks anyways!

HkPOzEH.jpg

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Heads up guys, I've noticed 4.3 the black screen goes for a while guys.... and loops a bit.. well on WUGZ toolkit - scared me to death a few times.
Mine stayed black for about a minute before, looping and finally rooting. Lets say it was a different rooting experience compared to 4.22

PJGMAN

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Tried re-rooting after OTA 4.3. Bootloader is still unlocked but fastbooting into recovery gives a black screen. I waited for 60 minutes without any effect.
I use Win7 and latest twrp-recovery. I have not tried flashing the recovery.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Tried re-rooting after OTA 4.3. Bootloader is still unlocked but fastbooting into recovery gives a black screen. I waited for 60 minutes without any effect.

Seems you have to fastboot flash it, not boot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

superblast

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I was getting the black screen when attempting to boot into recovery as well. I found this alternate command on xda and it worked:

Code:
fastboot-windows -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot recovery.img

jmazzamj

May 16, 2013
Visit site
As of right now, I've flashed the 4.3 factory image. Bootloader unlocked. I've tried booting the recovery.img via flashboot, but as mentioned previously, It just reboots into a blackscreen.

However, I guess my question for now is, why can't I boot the recovery.img? I just get stuck at a blackscreen.

Exactly the same thing happening here.

I have 2 Nexus 4, one running RootBox, the other was stock 4.3. I new I was doing everithing well, I never had an issue with my main Nexus 4 (the one running RootBox).
I bought a used one just yesterday and I could not boot into CMW, there was no way to do that...I did not try flashing it, I just wanted to root and load a different ROM.
I had to flash stock 4.2.2 for CWM to boot properly and allow me to Root and flash Xylon 2.7.7 18/7...

Happy to read I was not the only one...

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If you are on 4.3 you will have to wait as Koush is working on getting superuser updated to work with some changes made to the system. More info here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110558071969009568835/posts/LtttyekSUoi

I will add a note to the OP acknowledging this and update as soon as I am aware that it has been fixed.

In the meantime I believe Chainfire's SuperSU has been updated with a workaround that, afaik, is currently working on 4.3. I prefer that people use Koush's app and wait for that, but I understand people have needs and so you can find Chainfire's thread here: [2013.07.25] SuperSU v1.43 - xda-developers
The flashable zip download is under the Play Store links. Please also be advised it's probably a good idea to check out the last few pages of the thread and see if anyone is reporting any issues at the moment.
I'm with you. I think SuperSU is using a hacky method (Koush's description), and since SElinux has been implemented in 4.3, this really shouldn't be hacked. I'm surprised that the Android product team hasn't documented how you can legitimately "su" an app or process on demand through a legit app. Maybe they they didn't fully figure this out, but pushed it out half-baked in time for the Nexus 7 '13 release. :-\

I really prefer Koush's app, so 4.3 is waiting, uninstalled, on my two Nexus devices until he and the ClockworkMod team can figure out The Right Way to do this. Looking forward to your update. (And THANKS for the link to Koush's G+ post!)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you. I think SuperSU is using a hacky method (Koush's description), and since SElinux has been implemented in 4.3, this really shouldn't be hacked. I'm surprised that the Android product team hasn't documented how you can legitimately "su" an app or process on demand through a legit app. Maybe they they didn't fully figure this out, but pushed it out half-baked in time for the Nexus 7 '13 release. :-\

I really prefer Koush's app, so 4.3 is waiting, uninstalled, on my two Nexus devices until he and the ClockworkMod team can figure out The Right Way to do this. Looking forward to your update. (And THANKS for the link to Koush's G+ post!)

Well JBQ indicated that the team's goal was improving security.. They didn't set out to cause root headaches for people but it was a consequence of making the system more secure, and I don't think they intend to help out getting around it.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh, agreed, agreed. But the Nexus line is, iirc, meant for developers. So I would hope that in some fashion they're going to document a sudoers sort of method that is approved for developers of custom ROMs. Otherwise, people are forced to hack. That would be more Apple-y than Android-y IMHO.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh, agreed, agreed. But the Nexus line is, iirc, meant for developers. So I would hope that in some fashion they're going to document a sudoers sort of method that is approved for developers of custom ROMs. Otherwise, people are forced to hack. That would be more Apple-y than Android-y IMHO.

Nexus line is meant for App developers.. ROM devs are just a bonus, not even really on Google's radar, let alone a group they're trying to cater too.

fluidmax

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I was getting the black screen when attempting to boot into recovery as well. I found this alternate command on xda and it worked:

Code:
fastboot-windows -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot recovery.img

Thanks...This saved my day....would have spent hours if not days trying stuff out

csevicky

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello, need a real quick help. I am again sorry if not posting on the right thread.
Say everything goes smooth on me installing Ubuntu on my Nexus 4 and then back to Android 4.3 because some of my good apps are missing !

Will above process void my warranty (both hardware and software) and automatic android updates ?

Thank you already :)

saison

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Had a bit of luck, got the thing unlocked, but it chokes on the fastboot-windows boot recovery.img. The command prompt responds with okay twice, but the unit just goes black, and doesn't seem to do anything. I can reboot it from the power button (although it takes a while to do anything). But I seem to be stuck. Any ideas?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon