[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
fastboot-windows -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot recovery.img

That's the ticket. Should not have stopped reading at 8 pages, lol....

That is why I read from page 12 going backwards! Thanks for reposting that, as my 4.3 OTA worked fine except it wiped TWRP off of my phone, and I was wondering why I could not get it back. Now just waiting for Koush's final 4.3 root program.

Last edited:

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
https://github.com/koush/Superuser

Is this the one we need? Because I think it's updated now.

If you select "READ MORE" under the description of the superuser app in Google Play, there is a link for unrooted devices. This is Koush's (non-beta) superuser program that is compatible with Android 4.3. I just followed the "Root it" section of the "Unlock and Root" instructions at the top of this forum, except I used the superuser.zip I got from Google Play (looking at the file size, they are both probably the same file anyway), and now I am rooted with superuser program version 1.0.2.1. My apps that require root access all seem to be working fine.

Manual installation with the recovery zip:
Recommended if you are having installation issues or are not rooted
http://download.clockworkmod.com/superuser/superuser.zip

Last edited:

KUSHAL PURKAR

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock, Flash Recovery, Root

I downloaded twrp 2.6 and they are saying it's not guaranteed that I can update via OTA. have someone tried? Is there some different procedure for rooting 4.3 on nexus 4. (I read something about koyush)

Last edited:

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded twrp 2.6 and they are saying it's not guaranteed that I can update via OTA. have someone tried?

After reading through a ton of conflicting information, I came to the conclusion that the only key is to have everything absolutely stock, except for TWRP installed and optionally be rooted and have an unlocked bootloader (which was exactly my case). I updated to TWRP 2.6 before I did the OTA a couple of days ago to insure maximum compatibility. My update from 4.2.2 to 4.3 using the OTA went flawlessly.

Last edited:

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Also note that there are SDK updates for Android 4.3 (toolkit programs and Windows Drivers).

Last edited:

jhm15217

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
After I do
./fastboot-mac boot recovery.img
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY
booting... OKAY

The phone appears to be booting, says "Google", then nothing! I've done something wrong, but what?

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
After I do
./fastboot-mac boot recovery.img
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY
booting... OKAY

The phone appears to be booting, says "Google", then nothing! I've done something wrong, but what?

Read a few posts up. Here is the windows version of what works. Can't speak for the Mac:

fastboot-windows -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot recovery.img

If that does not work, the OS drivers, the various platform command executables, and the TWRP recovery that you download via the links in the guide are old or very old, and you may likely have issues with Android 4.3. They worked perfectly for me on Android 4.2 and 4.2.2, but I was having problems with various commands (fastboot, adb, etc.) on 4.3 (There were some major security related changes), but after downloading the SDK directly, which gives you the latest windows driver and the latest platform commands, and then installing the current version of TWRP, it alleviated all those problems. Also, there is an update manager built right into the SDK, so it is easy to stay current. There is also a version of the SDK available for the Mac.

Last edited:

Shftup

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, need your help.

I accidentally flashed a 4.3 kernal on AOKP 4.2 - whoops!
So, now when I try to boot my nexus 4, all I get is the google sign with unlocked symbol for about 4-7 seconds, then nothing.
I cant get to fastboot, or TWRP recovery.

What should I do to get a working phone (without loosing SD card stuff, etc)

Thanks in advance - sorry for the noob questions

manolet

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
fastbood boot recovery.img was just showing a BLACK SCREEN to me, it does work with this command instead:

fastboot -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot recovery.img

This is important so you should add it to your guide

Moet Chandon

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I am having problems with this. My nexus 4 like most peoples is stuck at the cross stage. I have sent it away and they said it had water in it????!! Personally dont believe that as it still has no dispaly problems etc. I can get to the start mode with the command guy however it does not start up from there. Therefore I decided to try to follow the advice on the forum. I have tried to download and follow the instructions (doesnt help that im dyslexic and dyspraxic!). I manage to get to the command page but I cant even get it to do the fastboot devices. I have reinstalled drivers several times. And still it wont fastboot devices let alone get to the next stage.

I feel to smash the effing thing up soon so would really appreciate some help. please bare in mind as mentioned above i am dyslexic and am finding this very stressful :'( thanks in advance

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
fastbood boot recovery.img was just showing a BLACK SCREEN to me, it does work with this command instead:

fastboot -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot recovery.img

This is important so you should add it to your guide
I keep seeing this posted, but with no explanation of why it's necessary with some Nexus devices. -c option is to override kernel, beyond that, no idea. Enlighten us?

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't know, but what is interesting is that between updating my SDK and upgrading to Android 4.4, I can now use fastboot by itself again without all the extra "stuff" on the command line.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't know, but what is interesting is that between updating my SDK and upgrading to Android 4.4, I can now use fastboot by itself again without all the extra "stuff" on the command line.
It is always a good idea to update the SDK before working with a new version of Android. If you have the full SDK, there's a tool to do so in the /tools/ directory (Google for details).

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am aware of the tool. Everything on my computer was updated when I was on version 4.3, and I still had to do the longer fastboot command. Something was fixed in either 4.4, the SDK, the Windows drivers, etc., since I went to 4.4.

Maria Fattore

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I finally was able to follow your extremely thorough directions to restore what I stupidly caused (proving once again "you are never to old to learn something stupid.") I was overwhelmed by much frustration, and too many options for successful restores. I always have been a fan of the manual clean code to sort out the garbage getting in the way.You successfully explained how to get back to a fresh start, and my tablet is now zipping along quite nicely (which is all I was trying to do when I messed it up in the first place.) Live long, prosper, and keep helping the masses of nongeekdom (I am a citizen of that foul space.)

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Is rooting reversible? There is s setting in SuperSU that says "Full Unroot." Does that actually work? I thought rooting was permanent.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Is rooting reversible? There is s setting in SuperSU that says "Full Unroot." Does that actually work? I thought rooting was permanent.

Unrooting is very possible, and SuperSU's Full Unroot works well. "Root" is just the su binary and a management program, take those away and root is gone, of course this will not undo any changes you made with root access.

Remember this is a Nexus device... A few clicks and your back to stock anyways.

Out of curiosity, why the concern with unrooting?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca