The inevitable Secure Boot thread

trter10-imore

ThunderboltTool Developer
Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
So guys, what's with the secure boot?

Can't flash recovery or boot, and I'm assuming this is why.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to disable it/work around it, or even what it is?

Thanks!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Right but it worries me that one can't be fully flashed like usual

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Course it can.. You probably need to just delete or rename the recovery-from-boot.p file from /system before you can flash a custom recovery permanently, that's how it is on ICS and other JB versions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

trter10-imore

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Course it can.. You probably need to just delete or rename the recovery-from-boot.p file from /system before you can flash a custom recovery permanently, that's how it is on ICS and other JB versions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Oh! Thanks for clearing that up :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
@trter10 -- Hey, have you found out any more info on this secure boot thing? Lol I have to admit I'm getting a little bit confused by it.. it's seemingly giving kernel and recovery developers some head-scratching too as they try and get custom kernels to flash properly on this thing. Think I originally misunderstood what the deal was and now having trouble finding solid info... appreciate any light you can shed :)

trter10-imore

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
@trter10 -- Hey, have you found out any more info on this secure boot thing? Lol I have to admit I'm getting a little bit confused by it.. it's seemingly giving kernel and recovery developers some head-scratching too as they try and get custom kernels to flash properly on this thing. Think I originally misunderstood what the deal was and now having trouble finding solid info... appreciate any light you can shed :)

No idea :p
It seems like almost a checksum verifier since it lets the stock boot be flashed and it boots afterwards, but fails on a modified boot image that will boot from Fastboot boot boot.img... but I saw a dev on XDA get a custom kernel booting but I'm not sure if he used Fastboot or recovery to flash.
It may also just be a signature checker since I think the guy on XDA built from source and modified the source directly, and compiling added a signature whereas just splitting, editing, and recompiling does not.

I've never had a nexus before last week and ive never had a successful attempt at building a kernel (ignoring integrated kernel building in CM9) so I'm just as lost as everyone else.

OK my thumbs hurt now I'm going to stop ;)

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2