N4 display coloring

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I remember there were different kernels one could flash to the GNex that adjusted the color tones of the display (I forget which, off hand).

So as many say, the N4's screen appears washed out." I wonder if there's a way to adjust the color hue's somewhere via a ROM/kernel.

My experience here with these types of settings is limited, so any education would be appreciated.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I remember there were different kernels one could flash to the GNex that adjusted the color tones of the display (I forget which, off hand).

So as many say, the N4's screen appears washed out." I wonder if there's a way to adjust the color hue's somewhere via a ROM/kernel.

My experience here with these types of settings is limited, so any education would be appreciated.

To answer the question.. not yet, the device is brand new and even most devs haven't gotten one yet. I'm sure many kernels will appear soon enough, with many of the options you are used to.

But to delve into things a bit.. I've heard from a lot of more educated folks and some devs how the common "washed out screen" complaint your seeing is not really accurate at all. Many of us (especially coming from Samsung phones) are used to those SAMOLED displays which oversaturate the colors. The colors you will see on a high quality IPS display like the Nexus 4 are actually a true representation of what they are supposed to look like. At first it is going to appear weird and "washed out" to you, but after adjusting a bit you should be able to appreciate that you are seeing the colors the way they were designed, by Google, to be viewed. Just some info I wanted to pass along :)

vietmode

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I would still love the option to change the contrast a bit like on the GNEX and make stuff "pop" if you know what im saying! Im sure those crafty kernel devs will come up with something. from videos seen on youtube the nexus 4 whites seem dull.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I would still love the option to change the contrast a bit like on the GNEX and make stuff "pop" if you know what im saying! Im sure those crafty kernel devs will come up with something. from videos seen on youtube the nexus 4 whites seem dull.

Oh I hear you.. and I'm sure you will see plenty of development for this thing. Heck franco already started working on it and he hasn't even gotten one yet! ([KERNEL] franco.Kernel - xda-developers)

Was just sharing a little info that I found interesting regarding the IPS displays and the "washed out" complaints that we've all been hearing a bit :)

goldentuna

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this too at first. But it seems that it's getting better.

I don't know if it is because of letting the display burn in or something. I know it's not because I'm 'getting use' to it.

It just looks better with brighter colors.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

dark_samus

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
You could use the screen adjuster app on the play store it's free and you could play with it until you're happy

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Android Central Forums

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've heard from a lot of more educated folks and some devs how the common "washed out screen" complaint your seeing is not really accurate at all. Many of us (especially coming from Samsung phones) are used to those SAMOLED displays which oversaturate the colors. The colors you will see on a high quality IPS display like the Nexus 4 are actually a true representation of what they are supposed to look like. At first it is going to appear weird and "washed out" to you, but after adjusting a bit you should be able to appreciate that you are seeing the colors the way they were designed, by Google, to be viewed. Just some info I wanted to pass along :)
I'm sorry, but I'm really going to have to beg to differ on this. When I got my Nexus 4 and showed it the my girlfriend next to my Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name phone, she instantly said, "The old one looks a lot better." I told her that the SAMOLED screen was merely hyped up because of all the usual reasons, but the difference DID bother me. I told myself, "No, this is more natural. It's not washed out. You're just used to the old screen," but I can't do it any longer. My screen IS washed out; it IS inaccurate. I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'm a semi-pro photographer (meaning I've made money from my work, but it's not my day job; see my stuff here) and thus really picky about image quality and fidelity. I also used to be a DVD reviewer for a couple of major sites and had to calibrate my home theater setups to properly grade A/V quality. I just recalibrated my main computer's display - a Dell UltraSharp U2410 IPS-panel connected via DisplayPort using a GretagMacbeth Eye-One Match 3 calibrator - and compared my current wallpaper (NSFW, so not linked; skin tones are a good source to judge because of the subtleties of complexions) from mine and other Flickr users work and the differences are there and problematic. I even dug out my OG EVO 4G to compare because it was its too-cool/bluish display that paled (no pun) in comparison to the GS2 was what made me thunk down $500 to buy the latter unsubsidized. I had to use the Movie setting in Display properties to get the least-hyped picture because Standard and Vivid were just acid-trip crazy.

Compared to the GS2, the N4's colors are flatter, paler and washed out, especially in highlights on skin which are getting close to being blown out to white. It looks cooler until you throw the EVO into the mix and see what really cool, bluish color cast looks like. When looking at all three, the GS2 looks the closest to the PC monitor; the N4 is clearly less saturated and skewed toward yellow (note: I do NOT see the yellow color cast on pure white that others have reported; it just looks like more red is needed); the EVO looks really cool (blue).

Checking another photo (again NSFW; tanned partial nude woman in vivid magenta leather jacket) shows similar issues. The N4 is flatter in contrast and the highlights are blown out; the wall in back doesn't look creamy, but almost white; the jacket looks pink, not magenta; the burgundy wash on her hair is almost unnoticeable. I couldn't check with the EVO because it's having a cow about updating (gee, it's been offline for 14 months, could that be the problem?) but since it's obsolete, who cares? The GS2 looks really close to the monitor and the N4 doesn't.

Using the LCD test patterns here - LCD monitor test images - the most damning one isn't the Black Level one (browser color profiles seem to mess with it) or the Gamma test (all the phones look waaaay out of whack) but the White Saturation pattern which demonstrates how brighter values are rendering. On my computer, I can see the difference between 254 and the 255 background. The highest the N4 shows is 247, meaning everything from 248 on up looks the same as pure white, 248-254 = 255 = not good. The GS2 goes four steps up to 251 and the difference between getting 96.9% of the way and 98.4% makes a difference. As someone who usually shoots black-clad musicians in dimly-lit clubs with black walls, the difference of a few steps is the difference between seeing a guy in a black shirt in a black room playing guitar or seeing a floating guitar and arm. (This is an all-time worst case example.)

The hardest thing to do in publishing is color management and printers and pre-production houses spend thousands of dollars trying to get their workflow together so that what designers see on the screen will match what's on the page when it's printed. It is said that a man with one clock knows what time it is but a man with two clocks is never sure and what may look fine in isolation may suffer in comparison to something else. (Like how your significant other may be cute, but stand them next to the latest Sexiest Man/Woman Alive and you realize you're in a relationship with a mortal.) The trick is to determine what is CORRECT. For clocks, you get one of those atomic deals and set your watch to that. For displays, you color calibrate and use test patterns.

This is what I've done and while there is a element of personal taste involved - like when you adjust the tone controls on your sound system to boom the bass or whatnot - I'm not interested in preference, but accuracy, and the screen on my Nexus 4 simply isn't accurate. Maybe it's isolated bad unit; maybe it's an issue with 25% of units; who knows? All I know is that some people say it's washed out; others say it's as good as the best-in-class HOX; some try to rationalize what they're seeing by attributing it to the differences between LCD and SAMOLED; and I just want a faithful version of what's being displayed.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I'm really going to have to beg to differ on this. When I got my Nexus 4 and showed it the my girlfriend next to my Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name phone, she instantly said, "The old one looks a lot better." I told her that the SAMOLED screen was merely hyped up because of all the usual reasons, but the difference DID bother me. I told myself, "No, this is more natural. It's not washed out. You're just used to the old screen," but I can't do it any longer. My screen IS washed out; it IS inaccurate. I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'm a semi-pro photographer (meaning I've made money from my work, but it's not my day job; see my stuff here) and thus really picky about image quality and fidelity. I also used to be a DVD reviewer for a couple of major sites and had to calibrate my home theater setups to properly grade A/V quality. I just recalibrated my main computer's display - a Dell UltraSharp U2410 IPS-panel connected via DisplayPort using a GretagMacbeth Eye-One Match 3 calibrator - and compared my current wallpaper (NSFW, so not linked; skin tones are a good source to judge because of the subtleties of complexions) from mine and other Flickr users work and the differences are there and problematic. I even dug out my OG EVO 4G to compare because it was its too-cool/bluish display that paled (no pun) in comparison to the GS2 was what made me thunk down $500 to buy the latter unsubsidized. I had to use the Movie setting in Display properties to get the least-hyped picture because Standard and Vivid were just acid-trip crazy.

Compared to the GS2, the N4's colors are flatter, paler and washed out, especially in highlights on skin which are getting close to being blown out to white. It looks cooler until you throw the EVO into the mix and see what really cool, bluish color cast looks like. When looking at all three, the GS2 looks the closest to the PC monitor; the N4 is clearly less saturated and skewed toward yellow (note: I do NOT see the yellow color cast on pure white that others have reported; it just looks like more red is needed); the EVO looks really cool (blue).

Checking another photo (again NSFW; tanned partial nude woman in vivid magenta leather jacket) shows similar issues. The N4 is flatter in contrast and the highlights are blown out; the wall in back doesn't look creamy, but almost white; the jacket looks pink, not magenta; the burgundy wash on her hair is almost unnoticeable. I couldn't check with the EVO because it's having a cow about updating (gee, it's been offline for 14 months, could that be the problem?) but since it's obsolete, who cares? The GS2 looks really close to the monitor and the N4 doesn't.

Using the LCD test patterns here - LCD monitor test images - the most damning one isn't the Black Level one (browser color profiles seem to mess with it) or the Gamma test (all the phones look waaaay out of whack) but the White Saturation pattern which demonstrates how brighter values are rendering. On my computer, I can see the difference between 254 and the 255 background. The highest the N4 shows is 247, meaning everything from 248 on up looks the same as pure white, 248-254 = 255 = not good. The GS2 goes four steps up to 251 and the difference between getting 96.9% of the way and 98.4% makes a difference. As someone who usually shoots black-clad musicians in dimly-lit clubs with black walls, the difference of a few steps is the difference between seeing a guy in a black shirt in a black room playing guitar or seeing a floating guitar and arm. (This is an all-time worst case example.)

The hardest thing to do in publishing is color management and printers and pre-production houses spend thousands of dollars trying to get their workflow together so that what designers see on the screen will match what's on the page when it's printed. It is said that a man with one clock knows what time it is but a man with two clocks is never sure and what may look fine in isolation may suffer in comparison to something else. (Like how your significant other may be cute, but stand them next to the latest Sexiest Man/Woman Alive and you realize you're in a relationship with a mortal.) The trick is to determine what is CORRECT. For clocks, you get one of those atomic deals and set your watch to that. For displays, you color calibrate and use test patterns.

This is what I've done and while there is a element of personal taste involved - like when you adjust the tone controls on your sound system to boom the bass or whatnot - I'm not interested in preference, but accuracy, and the screen on my Nexus 4 simply isn't accurate. Maybe it's isolated bad unit; maybe it's an issue with 25% of units; who knows? All I know is that some people say it's washed out; others say it's as good as the best-in-class HOX; some try to rationalize what they're seeing by attributing it to the differences between LCD and SAMOLED; and I just want a faithful version of what's being displayed.

To each his own.. I absolutely love the display, makes the screen on my Gnex look like a yellowy, oversaturated ash tray.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Have to agree with the soft color representation. Coming from the one X (witch by the way still has the best screen under 5in) and the s3 the colors from the N4 are just really soft. Not all colors but for example blacks aren't that deep and blues just seem off. Again I'm only comparing this from my previous devices both LCD and super amoled displays. I love this phone as this isn't a deal breaker. In fact I sold my s3 to get this. I'm not a photographer or know two much about images but what I don't understand is if both the one X and the n4 have the same or at least very similar LCD tech why is this not looking as good as the display on the one X?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Have to agree with the soft color representation. Coming from the one X (witch by the way still has the best screen under 5in) and the s3 the colors from the N4 are just really soft. Not all colors but for example blacks aren't that deep and blues just seem off. Again I'm only comparing this from my previous devices both LCD and super amoled displays. I love this phone as this isn't a deal breaker. In fact I sold my s3 to get this. I'm not a photographer or know two much about images but what I don't understand is if both the one X and the n4 have the same or at least very similar LCD tech why is this not looking as good as the display on the one X?

Look at it as the colors being represented more faithfully than the oversaturated screens you are used to, this is how they are actually supposed to look. Once you adjust I think you'll appreciate it more :)

The IPS display is very different tech than the amoled or led displays you've seen on those other devices, which I'm not knocking, they look great too, it's just a different technology and you see the colors more as they are intended to be seen on this display.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Last I checked Google had blue in there lettering and its looking a bit purple. Even the "blue" in the time battery etc is looking purple. I am a bit tired but definitely not color blind. I don't know maybe its just me but then again others are complaining about it too

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Last I checked Google had blue in there lettering and its looking a bit purple. Even the "blue" in the time battery etc is looking purple. I am a bit tired but definitely not color blind. I don't know maybe its just me but then again others are complaining about it too

Well, no that could actually be a hardware problem if you are genuinely seeing purple in your blues. My colors are exceptionally accurate, IMO.. And I didn't see anyone mention seeing purple tints or anything like that, that would be a valid problem with your display if it's happening and not just due to you being tired :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Every time a new phone gets released there is a thread about how the colors are wrong. Here's why.

We all don't see colors the same way. We're taught that this is RED and that is BLUE when we are young and over time develop we develop of perception of what color is what. When you take about tones, shades or variants of those core colors there's a bunch of wiggle room. A reddish green color may look more RED to one person and more GREEN to another.

Case in point. "Yellow" traffic lights look orange to me, they always have. People call them "yellow lights" but they are orange and everyone else is wrong. There's zero point in arguing with me about it because you'll never be right. It's how I see the color and the rest of you are all crazy for thinking it's yellow.

It works the same way with screens colors on phones. The colors are the colors and they are what the manufactures set them to be. I know screen tech plays a role and stuff but at the end of the day green is the color/shade/temperature of green that it is on the screen because someone sat in a meeting and said 'make that more (less) green' . Even colors that are calibrated to be "correct" using different calibration methods aren't "correct" to a person that doesn't think that looks like the right color/temperature green.

The bottom line is you'll never convince me it's a "yellow" light and you'll never convince someone that thinks a screen is too blue that it's not. The only thing you can do is change your colors so they are "right" to you.

Just my two cents.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I here what what everyone's saying but it's just hard to say something's not right with the colors. Ehh.... I'm over it! Just got this yesterday so it's time to root it. If this is a problem hopefully we can expect a fix.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I here what what everyone's saying but it's just hard to say something's not right with the colors. Ehh.... I'm over it! Just got this yesterday so it's time to root it. If this is a problem hopefully we can expect a fix.

Don't wait because chances are its not being considered a bug by Google and LG.

Just grab this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.nexus4displaycontrol&token=rJqTNvw5 once you are rooted and tweak it until you like it. I did that all the time with the Gnex.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Just grab this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.nexus4displaycontrol&token=lBvnNfUC once you are rooted and tweak it until you like it. I did that all the time with the Gnex.

Awesome! Thanks for the link

- - - Updated - - -

Just grab this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.nexus4displaycontrol&token=lBvnNfUC once you are rooted and tweak it until you like it. I did that all the time with the Gnex.

Awesome! Thanks for the link

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

Actually the lumia 920 has the best screen under 5"

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isaac donald