Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Will you root the N4?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 82.95%
  • No

15 17.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Rooting...

So I got my phone today and haven't yet figured out if its worth rooting to me. I used to think rooting was necessary since I enjoy being able to take screenshots or activating WiFi tether. But now I'm not so sure its quite a necessity.

Do you find it important to root and if so for what reasons?
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Rooting...

I unlocked and rooted pretty much right out of the box. First reason was to be able to use Titanium Backup to restore all my apps and game data from my Galaxy Nexus. Next I removed Chrome and installed the AOSP browser because it's much better, and required root to manipulate a few system files so that it syncs your bookmarks.

I'm sure I'll get to flashing either AOKP or CM10 when they are available, but for now I am really liking stock 4.2, just needed root for those few things without question.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

With the help of 2Def's guide, I unlocked and rooted within the first hour of unboxing my Nexus 4. I was rooted before I got around to taking the pieces of plastic off. lol
    2defmouze likes this.

the first thing i will do when i get my nexus is root it.

Is the process similar to the Galaxy Nexus where you had to unlock the bootloader first?
    Also would this void the warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitiGuy View Post
    Is the process similar to the Galaxy Nexus where you had to unlock the bootloader first?
    yes, all Nexus has the same process.

dont know if Nexus 10 voids warrenty but you can lock the boot loader after rooting.

I won't root/flash mine, I have no reason to.

- I only ever flashed roms on previous phones to install an AOSP/AOKP rom
    - Only times I used Titanium Backup and other root-only apps was when I was flashing from rom to rom
    - I have no reason to flash a rom on the Nexus 4, therefore no requirement for root-only apps

I kept my Nexus 7 stock, planning on keeping my Nexus 4 stock.

unlocked rooted and installed CWM right away after the OTA. I would atleast unlock now before you get it loaded with stuff cause that all goes bye bye
    ~Matt
    Nexus 4 & Nook HD+ and lots of other goodies
    www.twitter.com/howarmat

Same method, there's no "exploit" required to unlock and root a Nexus.

It technically does void your warranty, depending who you ask, but you can always re-lock the bootloader.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Pretty much identical.

I also address the warranty question in the FAQ part of my guide.. Give it a look

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I unlocked and rooted right out of the box. Used the Nexus 4 Toolkit v 1.1 and it works perfect! Now looking on how to install wifi calling and wifi hotspot for T-Mobile without having to pay T-Mo extra bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    Same method, there's no "exploit" required to unlock and root a Nexus.

It technically does void your warranty, depending who you ask, but you can always re-lock the bootloader.
    No one knows less about rooting than me. With that said what do you mean "there's no "exploit" required to unlock and root a Nexus"?

If rooting voids your warranty (as determined by Google or LG) what does it matter if you can "re-lock the bootloader"?

Do you have any idea of why some say rooting voids the warranty and others say rooting does not void the warranty?

One huge root only app is ad free. Man, I hate them ads.

Sent from my Toro ()
    zero neck likes this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    No one knows less about rooting than me. With that said what do you mean "there's no "exploit" required to unlock and root a Nexus"?

If rooting voids your warranty (as determined by Google or LG) what does it matter if you can "re-lock the bootloader"?

Do you have any idea of why some say rooting voids the warranty and others say rooting does not void the warranty?
    Again.. The warranty question is addressed in the FAQ in my Unlock & Root guide (stickied here). In a nutshell, it makes your warranty voidable, not voided. LG or Google can choose to not honor it if your damage was caused by your hacking. Generally for hardware issues you won't have a problem getting warranty service, especially if you restore the factory images before sending it in, which I also have a guide on how to do

After a factory image restore and locking the bootloader no one would ever know you rooted anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    zero neck and Saiga like this.

To 2defmouze,
    Again..? I appoligize if by asking a question you have answered so many times it makes you frustrated.
    I hate the idea of having a forum "Advisor" being tick with me, but to be honest you did not have to resond to my question. If you were upset that I ask a question that had the answer many times somewhere else. You could have just thought dummy find your own answer and ignored the question.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    To 2defmouze,
    Again..? I appoligize if by asking a question you have answered so many times it makes you frustrated.
    I hate the idea of having a forum "Advisor" being tick with me, but to be honest you did not have to resond to my question. If you were upset that I ask a question that had the answer many times somewhere else. You could have just thought dummy find your own answer and ignored the question.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.. I promise I did not at all mean that in a nasty way, lol, just that earlier I thought I mentioned that you can check my unlock guide for an answer. We're all friends here and I only want to help and supply you with good resources, reliable info, and a helping hand when you need it.

Thanked by:
    donec 
    zero neck likes this.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.. I promise I did not at all mean that in a nasty way, lol, just that earlier I thought I mentioned that you can check my unlock guide for an answer. We're all friends here and I only want to help and supply you with good resources, reliable info, and a helping hand when you need it.

root or go home.

JK i swear /inciting root-noroot riot

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *
    davey11 and 2defmouze like this.

I just seem to find rooting redundant when you're going to flash an AOSP ROM anyway...Also you lose Google Wallet functionality. I could see if this was not an AOSP device. Line if it had Sense I could totally understand rooting. But it had all the features the devs will use anyway and there's no reason to OC because the phone already flies.

Only reason I could see is if you want to ruin status bar themes and over clock which is not my forte anymore. I can't go back to flashing a different ROM with bugs all in it and a not working list.

Just wait until development stables out and then decide what to do. The features I these ROMs are nothing that you'll be missing out find necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Highland Droid likes this.

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.2.1; CM7.2(nook)

^^Snipes, rooting does not break Google Wallet. I have it up and running on my rooted N4.

I unlocked and rooted right away. I haven't permanently flashed a recovery yet though as I'll stick with stock for awhile. Only thing I've done so far is download Rom Toolbox Pro and used that to block some ads and change the system level font to one of my liking.

I rooted it the same evening I got it. I like knowing that if I need to do a backup of my apps etc I can without issue using titanium. I also use the colour settings app to take the yellow tinge off the screen and that requires root.

Rooting Is Life. Titanium, TWRP Recovery, Nandroid, Change Fonts, and much, much more... ANDROID UNLEASHED.
    davey11 likes this.

The subject of rooting is very polarizing. Either you are pro root or steadfastly against.
    If security is a concern, the superuser app will prompt you whenever an app tries to access the system.
    For me, the big reason (among many, many others) is customizability. You think stock is customizable? Wait till you root, its gets insane what you can do.
    We had a poll in the early gnex days about rooting, and convert after convert declared...."WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS SOONER?"
    I understand stahlwarts will remain steadfast, but like the old saying goes, "don't knock it till you've tried it". It's very easy to unroot, so to not experience root would be naive at best.
    Again, I would like to link this vid.
    I normally don't like to sway ppl into doing something that they don't want to do. But in this case, the benefits far outweigh any downsides (percieved or not) IMHO. Plus the nexus is by far the easiest to root of any device period.
    If you remain unconvinced, its fine, yet I'd like to say, you don't know what you're missing. Honest.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Never understood labeling it as something to be pro or anti, lol.. It's just something you do if you want to and have reason to. Like snowboarding or something idk.

I had reason to root when I got the device so I could restore my titanium backup apps and data, and for the aosp browser. Eventually found reason to flash aokp when I realized I hated the stock quick settings menu and wanted then to be customizable and toggles. If you like stock as it is, good for you. If you have no reason to root, good for you. We can all be happy with different things.

I keep reading but I don't understand the whole Rooting Philosophy, shame on me I know..

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

The philosophy is simple, total control. When you own something do you want limitations placed on what you can do to said product? Look at it from an automotive standpoint if you will, when you buy a car is it fair to be told even though you own this car you can't put on an intake or turbocharger or change the tune on it. Even if you had no intention of doing any of that the idea that you can't seems ridiculous. Same with a computer we own these phones/ miniature computers and some of us want our administrative privileges so we can do as we see fit with our device. To many root is seen as some crazy hack really its nothing more than escalated permissions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast