Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dbareis
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Default Deleting unwanted Google apps

I have a 8gb Nexus 4 and I decided to experiment with freeing up some space by deleting some pre installed applications that I don't and won't use.

I used root explorer to delete the APK files for Google Plus, Google Currents, Google Play Books and Google Play Magazines.

My phone didn't explode. In fact I am using it to post this now, but something has changed and I'm wondering if I should worry about. What happens is I occasionally get a triangle in the notification bar. And there is this pop up that says "couldn't sign in there was a problem communicating with Google's servers please try again later" and there is an option to hit next. As soon as I do hit next it signs in and everything appears to work correctly.

I did a nandroid backup before I went to deleting stuff, but I don't know if I should worry enough about it to do a restore. The pop only happens once a reboot.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deleting unwanted Google apps-screenshot_2012-11-21-14-18-43.png  

Default Re: Deleting unwanted Google apps

The Google apps are system apps so something is probably trying to sign you in to a service that no longer exists perhaps?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Manning the AC Euro office since 2011
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Devine View Post
    The Google apps are system apps so something is probably trying to sign you in to a service that no longer exists perhaps?

That's actually another one of the reason I deleted them. I noticed they were always running and caching data and doing whatever it is they do in the background even though I never used any of them.

FYI...I am getting this on my Nexus 4 as well and I did not delete any apps.
    Thanked by:
    Saiga 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Really? That's weird, I never got it until after I deleted stuff, but you experiencing it as well makes me feel a little bit better about not restoring the missing apps.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Richards answer is spot on what I would assume. At least you were smart enough to make a backup first

Restore it and see if you keep getting the error. If not, you'll know for sure that was the problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Richards answer is spot on what I would assume. At least you were smart enough to make a backup first

Restore it and see if you keep getting the error. If not, you'll know for sure that was the problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Cool, I did as you recommended, and restored my back up. I needed to practice doing that anyway. Everything is back to normal. But I still like it better with those apps deleted since I have no intention of ever using them. I will keep a close eye on it though, and if I get that pop-up one more time I will take out Root Explorer again.

ROM
    Stock

I was having the same error show up on my fully stock unrooted Nexus 7 last night and earlier today. I have a feeling it's on googles end...
    Thanked by:
    Saiga 

Quote Originally Posted by cluckkillerb View Post
    I was having the same error show up on my fully stock unrooted Nexus 7 last night and earlier today. I have a feeling it's on googles end...
    I think/hope you are correct. It seems to happen every 8 hours or so on my N4 over the past day. I have not had the problem on my N7.

I've gotten that error twice today on my completely stock and unrooted N4, so I'd assume it being on Google's end is a safe bet.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Since I'm not experiencing it I'm leaning towards thinking that it's less likely on Googles end and more so your carrier / data connection. Sometimes a weak connection under stress can trigger those errors as well by sending multiple requests to Google. I've witnessed it a few times on my Gnex in poor coverage areas.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Well it happened twice so far this morning. So its not caused by deleting those apps. Another strange thing about this is my Nexus is a WiFi only Google voice home phone. I use it in airplane mode with WiFi on. So it seems like I should always have a good, usable connection.

You'll just have to wait for an update to fix the triangle sign in bug. I also have this happen sometimes, and my system is completely stock (rooted but no apps deleted).

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

Is it downloading to the right account for updates

Its Bubba
    "Stubborn In Your Bones"

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    But I still like it better with those apps deleted since I have no intention of ever using them. I will keep a close eye on it though, and if I get that pop-up one more time I will take out Root Explorer again.
    Why not just disable the apps one at a time, at least for diagnostic purposes...
    Saiga and Freshly_Snipes like this.