Second Thoughts About Rooting..

TauSigmaNova

Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!
Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I used to be a huge advocate for rooting and flashing ROMS, but I'm having second thoughts. i set up my Nexus 4 and it works great- beautifully and quickly and everything is as planned, and I was planning on rooting and ROMing.
Are any ROMs feature filled and stable yet anyway? If so I'll take the plunge before i setup all of it.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
For me I just unlocked and rooted mine. I have no need to put any roms on. They are all the same to me. I just like to have the ability to if I Change my mind

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You should definitely root your phone but like you said, there may not be enough ROMs for the phone at this point. Unlock the phone right now though so you won't have to do it later

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Xylon and have found it very stable. I was going to stay stock too, but then I wanted the ability to make my Quicksettings toggles instead of menu shortcuts.

Moving to Rooting forum btw.

Sent from my Nexus 7

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The 2 big guns in the custom rom scene, aokp and cyanogen, are quite stable. They have quite a bit of features at this early stage of development. A testament to their hard work on the galaxy nexus. These roms will give you a greatly enhanced experience. As soon as you open 'rom control' in your settings menu, you'll know what I mean. After you load a custom rom, you won't go back.

Sent from my mako :)p)

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Why should you definitely root?

because there's almost no downsides to rooting. You might brick your nexus 4 but that's only if you don't follow the directions and go through it speedily which it is never recommended to do so. There are a ton of benefits gained from rooting and you won't lose your warranty, when you restore your device, there will be no evidence that your phone was rooted.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Ever wonder why every single one of the mods and advisors here at ac root? You think they know something?

Sent from my mako :)p)

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The first thing I do is unlock and root. My Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 are both unlocked and rooted. I haven't felt the need to load any ROM's on either of them, however I use tons of root-only apps and like to be able to easily tweak my code if I want to. With root I can add nearly any feature from a ROM without the need to flash a complete ROM. Obviously rooting also allows you to easily make full backups as well. That's my individual use case anyway.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Was stock for a good while.. But since flashing aokp the other day I, like ragnarokx above, can't live without having the quick settings tiles as toggles and being able to customize them. It's a pretty annoying shortcoming of aosp that I'm glad the dev community has improved so quickly :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355229867631.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355229867631.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 21

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
We're clueless here. Don't know what you're smoking.
;)

^Truth :p

OP, Rooting to root is just pointless. You're voluntarily putting your phone in a less (albeit only slightly) secure state for zero reward. If it's meeting your needs and you don't feel the need to screw with stuff that's working well enough for you, then don't. Just spend the time to do the research and figure out what you need root to do, then determine if it matters to you. Everyone is different in what they want from their device so don't assume root is needed to get the most out of it.

I've rooted every single Android phone I've owned (7, soon to be 8) and all the Android tablets I've owned (6, soon to be 7) and in the case of the Nexus 7 I just brought it back to stock because for what I was using it for, I just didn't need root. That probably won't last long though :)

Unlock now if you think you'll ever wanna get in the root/rom/kernel game and at least you'll be ready and can easily backup stuff before taking the plunge.

Writing that I now realize that I have a problem, 15 devices in like 3.5 years? I think I need to go to a meeting or something.

Last edited:

promanex

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Was stock for a good while.. But since flashing aokp the other day I, like ragnarokx above, can't live without having the quick settings tiles as toggles and being able to customize them. It's a pretty annoying shortcoming of aosp that I'm glad the dev community has improved so quickly :)

I hope I don't come across as stupid, I did do some searching on google and looked around the forums here... but where can I find that rom, please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC