USB mass storage / Car stereo connectivity

Nkrdbl

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello AndroidCentral!

I have attempted to Google this issue, contacted Google Play technical support for my Nexus 4 and even tried searching on these forums. Unfortunately, my issue is still unresolved. At this point I figured it couldn't hurt to post a topic to see if anybody else happened to be running into a similar issue or perhaps somebody may have some suggestions.

To begin, I originally used a Nexus One phone up until the Nexus 4's release. My Nexus One was able to connect to my car's head unit through USB as a mass storage device, which allowed me to browse the folders on the SD Card and play music from the phone in my car.

The problem that I'm experiencing now, however, is with the Nexus 4. The device will still connect via USB to my car's stereo, but there is something very strange that occurs. For whatever reason, once the phone is connected it does not display the folder names, or the track titles either, which as you can imagine makes navigating through the different folders nearly impossible to find what you're looking for. It's hard to explain and if need be I could take some pictures with my Nexus One to show exactly what it looks like.

I've spoken to Google Play support about this who weren't exactly all that helpful. After I had explained my issue as best I could to the representative, they pretty much immediately told me that this needed to be escalated to Tier 2. While it wasn't the answer I wanted to hear, I was still okay with this as I figured somebody would actually be looking into my issue. Jump to earlier this morning when I received a reply via email from Google Play support which simply said, "Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately I just got updated that the Nexus 4 does not have USB connectivity."

As you can probably understand, that response was very frustrating, mostly because that is 100% inaccurate.

So now, I turn to you AndroidCentral. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get this to work?
- I know some of you may be thinking, "Why don't you just use the headphone jack instead of USB in your car?"
-- I would if I could but that is not an option for me unfortunately. Also, I'd like to be able to control the music from my car's head unit as opposed to controlling it from the phone itself.

My question, and my reason for posting this in the Nexus 4 Rooting section, is would rooting my phone allow me to utilize the USB mass storage mode? Is there anyway to enable USB mass storage mode on the Nexus 4?

I really do appreciate any assistance you may be able to provide AndroidCentral! Thank you in advance!

**EDIT**
Here is a picture of what my head unit displays when I connect the Nexus 4. As you can see, every folder shows up blank.
j8npe8.jpg

Last edited:

Nkrdbl

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't agree more Russ Dill, which is why I also asked:
My question, and my reason for posting this in the Nexus 4 Rooting section, is would rooting my phone allow me to utilize the USB mass storage mode? Is there anyway to enable USB mass storage mode on the Nexus 4?

Dusan Stan

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I need this USB mass storage too. What I'm getting on my car stereo is "Device not supported" Is there an app that makes the nexus 4 behave nicely as an USB mass storage?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
the Nexus 4 does not have Mass Storage. The simple reason for this is that with it lacking an SD card the entire filesystem is formatted in ext3, which most devices won't be able to read anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol