Will busybox installation prevent OTA update?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted via the Nexus 4 Unlock and Root Guide. I'd like to install busybox, but I want to be able to install OTA updates if/when they are available. If I install the busybox package from the playstore, will it prevent OTA updates?

I don't believe it will but others will jump in if that's not the case.

Having a non-stock ROM will usually prevent the OTA update from even appearing.
If you have a custom recovery w/ a stock ROM then you'll get the update and it'll download but when it tries to install it you'll get a failure.
To my knowledge though, just being rooted with busybox installed will not affect your ability to take and install the OTA.

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted via the Nexus 4 Unlock and Root Guide. I'd like to install busybox, but I want to be able to install OTA updates if/when they are available. If I install the busybox package from the playstore, will it prevent OTA updates?

Unlocked and rooted with a stock ROM will not affect OTA's. BusyBox and SuperSU will not affect OTA updates. Custom ROM's can affect OTA's of course, and it's possible an OTA can kill root even with stock ROM (though you can install OTA RootKeeper to avoid an OTA removing root).

lindend

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I did one update and used OTA Rootkeeper to recover superuser post upgrade. Thanks everyone for the advice. Feel safer installing busybox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge