Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2defmouze
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Rooting and warranty

    If I root my phone and I need to send it in for warranty, say replacement. Is it pretty easy to unroot the device so I can send it back?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    It's pretty easy, just find some tutorials. The sign of your rooting the phone will dissapear and the people will never know, unlike jailbreaking an ipod.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    rooting will not void your warranty but unlocking bootloader will void it. rooting can only be done by unlocking bootloader but you can lock your bootloader once you root your device.

    At this point lets say you want to unroot it. all you have do is delete two files from your phone using ES explorer or some file manager.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    rooting will not void your warranty but unlocking bootloader will void it. rooting can only be done by unlocking bootloader but you can lock your bootloader once you root your device.

    At this point lets say you want to unroot it. all you have do is delete two files from your phone using ES explorer or some file manager.
    I like your suggestion. That's what I'll do.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    rooting will not void your warranty but unlocking bootloader will void it. rooting can only be done by unlocking bootloader but you can lock your bootloader once you root your device.

    At this point lets say you want to unroot it. all you have do is delete two files from your phone using ES explorer or some file manager.
    That's interesting. Would you say that locking the bootloader is recommended? Any suggestions how I would do that? Thanks!
    HTC One 32GB (silver), Nexus 4 16GB, iPhone 4s 16GB, Nexus 7 16GB
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    It's pretty easy, just find some tutorials. The sign of your rooting the phone will dissapear and the people will never know, unlike jailbreaking an ipod.
    Huh? Very easy to unjailbreak i things as well if you need warranty work and its impossible to tell it was ever jail broken. Don't know quite what you mean from your comment. Done it plenty.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    rooting will not void your warranty but unlocking bootloader will void it. rooting can only be done by unlocking bootloader but you can lock your bootloader once you root your device.

    At this point lets say you want to unroot it. all you have do is delete two files from your phone using ES explorer or some file manager.
    Not accurate... Unlocking and rooting makes your warranty voidable, not voided. Check the FAQ section of my unlock guide.

    And as was said, you can always restore the factory images and relock it if you need warranty service due to a legitimate hardware defect and >99% of the time they will never know or care that it was unlocked.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    Huh? Very easy to unjailbreak i things as well if you need warranty work and its impossible to tell it was ever jail broken. Don't know quite what you mean from your comment. Done it plenty.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Meant unjailbrekaing will still have a sign that it was jailbroken and the warranty will be void.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Meant unjailbrekaing will still have a sign that it was jailbroken and the warranty will be void.
    Ummm, no. That's wrong. Sorry. Just is. It is entirely possible to make a jail broken iDevice unjailbroken with no signs.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    Ummm, no. That's wrong. Sorry. Just is. It is entirely possible to make a jail broken iDevice unjailbroken with no signs.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    If so, I haven't found it. Everyone has been like oh man, if you unjailbreak your device, the apple people can find out that it has been jailbroken and they won't fix the device.
  11. #11  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    Lol why is jailbreaking even being debated in this thread?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    davey11 likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    No idea why it was brought up in the first place, just trying to stop the spread of misinformation.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    Ummm, no. That's wrong. Sorry. Just is. It is entirely possible to make a jail broken iDevice unjailbroken with no signs.
    Something else to consider. You've been assuming that your phone is in a sufficiently working condition where you can unroot it. I had a phone once that was essentially a brick with an inaccessible battery. All I could do was remove the memory card and return it. If it had been rooted I'd have been screwed.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    It is Halloween. You get a star for creating a zombie thread.
  15. #15  
    deltatux's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    ROM
    SlimROM 4.4/franco.Kernel

    Default Re: Rooting and warranty

    What I recommend is to format the phone completely and flash the factory images back to the Nexus 4 and then lock the bootloader after all is done before sending it back in. I did that mainly because I was also running a custom ROM, but it's also recommended even if you're running stock. Just in case.

    Always remember to properly format the device though. Never know what they do to these devices after they're returned.

    deltatux

Similar Threads

  1. Rooting and Warranty
    By kentusmc in forum Motorola X Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 06:33 AM
  2. Rooting and warranty
    By User Name in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
  3. root and warranty
    By eric0668 in forum HTC myTouch 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 05:56 AM
  4. Rooting and backup question.
    By osubeavs728 in forum Software Development and Hacking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 06:33 PM
  5. How long to root and cooked roms?
    By tx26257 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 05:56 PM

Posting Permissions

B