Anyone using the Franco kernel on the stock ROM?

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't particularly impressed with the r3x, r4x and the r5x branches of the kernel, preferring r23. Having said that, the new r6x branch seems to be much better with what appears to be equal battery life to earlier builds (i.e., better than the stock kernel) but with all cores online to keep things snappy and no obvious issues in my limited testing.

Last edited:

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't particularly impressed with the r3x, r4x and the r5x branches of the kernel, preferring r23. Having said that, the new r6x branch seems to be much better with what appears to be equal battery life to earlier builds (i.e., better than the stock kernel) but with all cores online to keep things snappy and no obvious issues in my limited testing.

That's usually the cycle with his stuff, at least as long as I've been using it. The early builds post stable version are pretty good but as they progress he'll try new things until he eventually lands on a pretty stable combination and that'll be come the next stable build. My guess is we'll see a stable version soon, bout that time.

I haven't noticed any issues with r53 but I really don't look that closely. If I'm not at work streaming music I'll easily get 15+ hrs vs 12 or so on stock. I'm running it with Minco v6.1 beta so that could play a part as that ROM is advertised as being built w/ Franco.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Where are you seeing the r6x branch? I just downloaded the franco app and flashed the kernel through the app. Appears much much smooth early on than when I flashed it before. This is great because the battery life is way better than stock CM10.1 kernel (which I ran all day today and the battery life was horrible! I got to 30% battery life in 7hrs with only 1.5 hours screen on time before I said screw it and just flashed Franco Kernel back). The Kernel is great, just the performance was horrible and felt like I was running Gingerbread on my phone. Things seem much smoother right now.

But where do you see r6x? Because on the app it only showed me r53

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Where are you seeing the r6x branch? I just downloaded the franco app and flashed the kernel through the app. Appears much much smooth early on than when I flashed it before. This is great because the battery life is way better than stock CM10.1 kernel (which I ran all day today and the battery life was horrible! I got to 30% battery life in 7hrs with only 1.5 hours screen on time before I said screw it and just flashed Franco Kernel back). The Kernel is great, just the performance was horrible and felt like I was running Gingerbread on my phone. Things seem much smoother right now.

But where do you see r6x? Because on the app it only showed me r53

If you hit the xda thread there is a link to his test builds that you can install manually.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
hows the battery usage on it? Heard that the franco.Kernel fixes the issues of the android system, os, and media server.

Battery usage is significantly better than the stock kernel. As to the rest of it, you will have to try it to see if it corrects any issues you are experiencing with your setup.

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have just installed Franco kernel yesterday hoping it would improve my battery. So far very impressed by it, but will update my experience after few more days of use.

I use stock rom, Franco kernel r71

Sent from my Nexus 4

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently running r90 without issues. I haven't really been monitoring the battery life as the main driver for me to flash a custom kernel is for the slide to wake gesture from Touch Control works with 4.2.2 OTA. This app now works flawlessly again.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm using it on stock with no problems. Gamma correction made a noticeable difference in screen quality.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ziggyland

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I have a question regarding using kernels on this phone. I was planning to run the "Franco's Kernel" on the nexus 4 to see if it improved battery life; but not sure if it requires rooting the phone first?
I see that I can download Franco's kernel updater from the google apps store, so do I just run it from there and it should be fine?

Thanks in advance.
P.S. If anyone has experience doing this or know a forum post that explains some steps, please link here. Really appreciated as I am new to smartphones.

Adam Young

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes your phone needs to be rooted in order to use a custom kernel. Once rooted just download the franco app from the playstore, use it to backup your stock kernel then download francos using the app. it's dead easy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey