Giving up! Titanium Backup Sucks!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Sorry I think I may have put this in the wrong category. Ignore this. I have re-posted this to a better category here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ing-up-titanium-backup-sucks.html#post2465260

I am very frustrated trying to restore some data from my old SGS2 to my new Nexus 4.
<rant>Everyone goes on about rooting their phone so they can get Titanium backup on there so they can backup and restore everything soooooo easily! Well I say BS. It certainly isn't easy and is more of a pain in the butt that it's worth. I have spent more time trying to restore my device than I would have if I just reset up the whole thing again. I am bit new to rooting, yet I have managed to root both my Galaxy S2 and my new Nexus 4 for the sole purpose of having a good backup system in place that will allow me to restore my settings, saved games and data as needed. I am not a complete Noob yet I find so many of the instructions on Rooting and ROMing to be lame to unorganized (the rooting of the N4 on this site included). I have watched videos and read instructions and have found many times that the person explaining the details gives wrong information or lists settings with the wrong name etc. Or just assumes everyone already knows what they are talking about. Phil's unlocking of the bootloader doesn;t even explain how to turn on USB debugging when you can;t turn it on by default. You have to click 5 times in the about phone section just to be able to activate the developer tools. How is anyone who is new to this supposed to know this? This is completely confusing for a new users and is intimidating at best.</end rant>

So, this is what I am trying to do:

I have my existing Galaxy S2 phone. It has been rooted and had Titanium backup installed. I would like to take the information from this device and be able to load it onto my new Nexus 4. The problem I am having is that I am able to find the TitaniumBackup folder on my SGS2 but there is no sign of it on my Nexus 4. I even did a backup on my N4 just to see if there was a folder with the same name. Not to be found. The backup to Google Drive or Dropbox doesn't work. I tried it on both phones and nothing copies to it. I have spend a number of hours trying to find information on this yet all the info. online always talks about having SD cards on both phones. The Titanium backup user interface is lame as is their online help. They give you no information on where to find the files or where to copy them to. It would be sooooooo much better if they just said "export your F'ing phone to one file" in a simple and easy to understand way, yet their menu and program is all over the place in terms of what an average user is trying to do.

I search for Nandroid backup and I pretty much realized it would take me more time to learn how to do that than it would to reset everything manually.

Okay I'm done. anyone??????? Help! :'(

Last edited:

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Format your Nexus 4.. Or reflash stock images

Then Try to drag and drop

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

draiko913

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to give specific instructions since I will probably skip a step or forget something, but when I want to move files from one phone to another, I usually use ftp over wifi to transfer files from my first phone to the computer then from the computer to the second phone. Browsing the directories seems to be cleaner this way vs. using a USB cable. Swiftp was my original go to app but Solid Explorer has the functionality built in, so I'm using it now instead.

I don't have my nexus 4 yet (still pre-ordered) but I'm wondering if it's not showing you all the directories when you connect to the computer?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to give specific instructions since I will probably skip a step or forget something, but when I want to move files from one phone to another, I usually use ftp over wifi to transfer files from my first phone to the computer then from the computer to the second phone. Browsing the directories seems to be cleaner this way vs. using a USB cable. Swiftp was my original go to app but Solid Explorer has the functionality built in, so I'm using it now instead.

I don't have my nexus 4 yet (still pre-ordered) but I'm wondering if it's not showing you all the directories when you connect to the computer?
That's what I was thinking too because if I was browsing in my file explorer I was able to see it but when I plugged in there was nothing there. Seems very odd that the system would be this complicated. I setup and reformat computers all the time and this seems far more complicated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The process is much simpler than you are making it out to be, I've done this for multiple phones already without ever a hiccup.
Copy the directory /sdcard/TitaniumBackup to your computer from the old phone.
Copy it to the new phone's /sdcard directory.
Reboot.
Install Titanium Backup.
See all your backups and start restoring them.

Please see the guide linked in my signature on correct usage and tips for TiBu as well, it's an app I am very familiar with and have been using for a long time, so if you have any questions about it specifically feel free to ask :)

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok noobie noob
Install titanium backup PRO or restore one by one

Copy like the above post

Open titanium
Settings, choose location, navigate to the EXTERNAL SD CARD

Add the folder, see ur apps, restore

Sent from my SGH-T889

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help. 2Def I may take you up on it. I tried to do exactly as you stated but it didn't seem to work but I an going to try again.

Avenger

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
It is a great app, just a matter of knowing your way around. I often have to relocate folders and find the actual data/save chunk of it in order to restore my data fully. It really is the best solution out there though, even better than Rom Toolbox and other backup solutions.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It is a great app, just a matter of knowing your way around. I often have to relocate folders and find the actual data/save chunk of it in order to restore my data fully. It really is the best solution out there though, even better than Rom Toolbox and other backup solutions.
I still haven't managed to get it transfered yet. Been too busy with drinking and eating :beer::p but thanks for the help.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I still haven't managed to get it transfered yet. Been too busy with drinking and eating :beer::p but thanks for the help.

Okay an update. I did a factory reset and then reinstalled TB, then re copied everything over and it all worked. Not sure why it didn't work the first 3 times I tried. But thanks to everyone for the input.

Tip sims

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I finally rooted my lg optimus f3 and downloaded all the crap instructed. Titanium backup, busybox, And clock work mod. I backed up everything in my phone so that I cud partition my sd card and "make more room", and b able to use app2sd. But when phone reset everthing is gone, no apps restored, no pictures, no music, nonthing. Not only that but I still cant use apps2sd. Yea so bullsh@t. Im Just gnna get a better phone with more freakin memory.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree, I finally rooted my lg optimus f3 and downloaded all the crap instructed. Titanium backup, busybox, And clock work mod. I backed up everything in my phone so that I cud partition my sd card and "make more room", and b able to use app2sd. But when phone reset everthing is gone, no apps restored, no pictures, no music, nonthing. Not only that but I still cant use apps2sd. Yea so bullsh@t. Im Just gnna get a better phone with more freakin memory.

Posted via Android Central App

If you backed up with Titanium you need to re-download it and restore the missing apps. There is a file that stays stored on the SD card even if you delete titanium backup. If you formated before backing up that then there is no way to get it back.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app