Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Qbancelli
  • 1 Post By DirkBelig
  • 1 Post By badbrad17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Default Nexus 4 Screen is washed out Fix

I have read a lot of people mentioning that they find the screen on the Nexus 4 is too washed out. I found that my SwiftKey light theme was very hard to see. I came across this great new app called the Nexus 4 display control. It really makes the screen much better. You need to be rooted and it does cost a couple of bucks but I think it's well worth it.

I'm using these settings
    238 / 228 / 240 which looks really great.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Nexus 4 Screen is washed out Fix

I just purchased it. Lets see if it is worth it.

Well, Maybe my sight is not very good, but I really cannot see any difference.
    Did I just wasted $2.49?

Edit: Yeah, I'm starting to notice that images look sharper, more pleasant to look at.
    professorsquash likes this.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I tried it and refunded it; it's too limited.

There's a massive thread at XDA with an accompanying spreadsheet of settings from people using an app called (it's $4) which is a kernel tweaker and does a bunch of other stuff, but also accesses the color settings - not only the usual RGB, but two sets of gamma amps for a total of 9 controls. There's a lot of discussion and my massive post discussing my issues with the N4 screen and the settings I used is here:

You need to be rooted, but it works with the stock kernel (which I have) and to get gamma changes to register, you need to shut off the screen and turn it back on; a slight hassle, but wah, First World Problem. People use to check gamma. It's a free app (with Pro version available which takes out the splash screen delay), but tends to crash a lot, especially when doing the gamma stuff.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi
    Thanked by:
    TheLibertarian likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Qbancelli View Post
    Well, Maybe my sight is not very good, but I really cannot see any difference.
    Did I just wasted $2.49?

Edit: Yeah, I'm starting to notice that images look sharper, more pleasant to look at.
    You can adjust it to how ever you want. It's definitely much more detailed for me. Switch it back to stock and you will see it.

Android Evangelist
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Dirk is definitely into it more than I am. I didn't hate the display so a few tweaks was all I needed.

Android Evangelist

Yeah, I played around with the settings a little bit more and saved a bunch of color profiles.
    Right now I'm rocking 218, 220, 240 and loving it.
    Definitely worth it.
    Thanked by:

are there any apps that does this without needing the device to be rooted?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Not that I could find.

Android Evangelist
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by heroman24 View Post
    are there any apps that does this without needing the device to be rooted?
    You can try this one

Android Evangelist
    minnemike likes this.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Bumping this up because a user on the XDA thread, MasterJam882, submitted these settings and I think they're the best yet for my phone. Give 'em a shot if you're rockin' the FauxClock beats:

Settings:
    All stock, stock kernel, just FauxClockApp
    LG presets
    R: 255
    G: 255
    B: 255
    AMP1
    R: 24
    G: 22
    B: 21
    AMP2
    R: 0
    G: 0
    B: 0
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    Bumping this up because a user on the XDA thread, MasterJam882, submitted these settings and I think they're the best yet for my phone. Give 'em a shot if you're rockin' the FauxClock beats:

Settings:
    All stock, stock kernel, just FauxClockApp
    LG presets
    R: 255
    G: 255
    B: 255
    AMP1
    R: 24
    G: 22
    B: 21
    AMP2
    R: 0
    G: 0
    B: 0
    Do I need to do anything funky to make that app work? Or just install and go?

Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Just be rooted (natch) and after making gamma changes, you must cycle the screen off then on for them to take effect. Color changes occur in real time.
    Thanked by:

My Nexus 4 is still a few weeks away. Has anyone created a before and after video or screenshots of this fix?

It sounds really interesting and it would be my only reason for rooting. I just wanted to make sure that it is worth the effort.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Just be rooted (natch) and after making gamma changes, you must cycle the screen off then on for them to take effect. Color changes occur in real time.
    Looks really great. It may be a bit hot on the blue side but the saturation and overall tones look fantastic.

Android Evangelist
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I did some fiddling and am using these settings with Faux clock. Your settings seemed too blue and the gamut was too dark for my phone. I was losing darker grays.

R255
    G247
    B225

Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Your settings are WAAAAAAAAY too bright. The AMP2 gamma makes dark areas in my photos so bright that it's really shocking the difference it makes. I'd just put together a gallery of favorite photos I've taken from my Flickr so I could check settings against photos I'm really familiar with and your settings radically affected how they looked. They didn't wash the colors out as much as flatten the contrast between foreground and background objects so they didn't pop the same way.

Did you check the gamma of your settings? My latest aren't exactly 2.2 for everything, but most of the sins of the panel in rendering skin tones have been mitigated.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Your settings are WAAAAAAAAY too bright. The AMP2 gamma makes dark areas in my photos so bright that it's really shocking the difference it makes. I'd just put together a gallery of favorite photos I've taken from my Flickr so I could check settings against photos I'm really familiar with and your settings radically affected how they looked. They didn't wash the colors out as much as flatten the contrast between foreground and background objects so they didn't pop the same way.

Did you check the gamma of your settings? My latest aren't exactly 2.2 for everything, but most of the sins of the panel in rendering skin tones have been mitigated.
    ya I checked the gamma. Yours were totally different. I wonder if our screens are different.

Android Evangelist

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

why not just use Trickster for free? I tend to use Franco's app but I use this for other kernels not supported by his app. Offers more options than most paid apps.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    why not just use Trickster for free? I tend to use Franco's app but I use this for other kernels not supported by his app. Offers more options than most paid apps.

Trickster doesn't give you as many settings.

Android Evangelist