Franco Kernel

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've seen posts and comments about this kernel numerous times around AC and XDA. I would flash this Kernel for the potential it has to increase my battery life, but I don't want to unlock the bootloader and root and all that because it'll wipe everything and I've gotten all my apps and homescreens set up to the point where I don't want to really re-do everything again.

I read that you can flash the Kernel through fastboot though. I'm not familiar with all of that so can someone tell me if that will wipe all my data? And can someone also give me steps on how to flash the Franco Kernel through Fastboot. Thanks.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can flash a kernel without unlocking the phone. That's why when you buy a Nexus device, it's the first thing you should do. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and do it. If you don't, you wont be able to install any of the custom stuff that's going to come along over this next year.

I love Franco's kernel. For me, it's always been the smoothest and fastest one out there. My battery life is definitely improved on it.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I love Franco's kernel. For me, it's always been the smoothest and fastest one out there. My battery life is definitely improved on it.

Whats your battery life looking like with it? And yeah I think I may just go ahead and get 'er done. But i'm certain I read that its possible to flash kernels with flashboot without rooting, not sure if you can do it without unlocking though so you're right that might be the situation. Guess i'll give it a shot when im not feeling lazy.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Whats your battery life looking like with it? And yeah I think I may just go ahead and get 'er done. But i'm certain I read that its possible to flash kernels with flashboot without rooting, not sure if you can do it without unlocking though so you're right that might be the situation. Guess i'll give it a shot when im not feeling lazy.

Root isn't required but being unlocked is. There are ways to backup before unlocking I believe. Might wanna look at that.
Francos kernel is great but the battery life will only increase marginally. It offers way more than just better battery. Root will also be required to use his app to mange it's settings

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Personally, I think throwing out battery stats is useless, except in regards to the phone they belong to. There are too many factors involved to compare your phone to someone else's. Like what they turn on/off, how often they do it, their brightness settings, how much time is spent on wifi/cell signal, how often data apps (even weather ones) update, how many data apps are installed, how many screen widgets they have updating, how many pictures they take that might be set to auto upload, etc..., etc..., etc...

On my phone, I never turn anything off, my screen is at about 70% brightness, I'm on wifi about half the day and I usually have between 1.5 and 3 hours screen time usage. A few times, I've had my battery near dead late in the afternoon. Looking into Badass Battery Monitor, I would always see some single app (like TaskOS as a one time example) that had gotten itself in a squirly state and eaten up all my juice. Rebooting the phone (or force closing the app) always fixes that (so I don't need to start a "My battery sucks!" thread).

Before Franco, I always got through the day on a single charge, with about 10% to 20% battery left around midnight, when I plug back in. Running Franco's kernel, I typically have about 20% to 30% left. The N4 definitely runs longer than the same setup on my Galaxy Nexus. The GN did a great job, but it was almost always pretty near dead at bed time.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried this kernel most of yesterday and half of today. Battery life seemed good from what I could tell. I ended up switching to Faux's kernel because Franco's has haptic feedback turned up high enough to be an annoyance when typing and it also caused SwiftKey to lag. So far that isn't a problem with Faux so I'm probably going to stick to it if I don't just stay on stock with the next build of AOKP.

Sent from my Nexus 4 with AOKP swag

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Move any files/pics you want to a PC/Mac, backup homescreens, apps, data (never system data) using Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro (or you can backup your homescreens via a custom launcher like Nova or Apex), and you're good to go. You sd card is only completely wiped when you unlock (hence grey's comment it's the first thing you should do just in case). I can fully wipe (factory reset/wipe data, cache, dalvik) and flash a new rom, kernel, my fav mods, and setup my phone including email in well under 30 mins. No biggie. Have fun!

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Anything on your sd like your pics and music etc, you can copy onto your pc/mac. Have a look at carbon, it is a great back up tool. When I rooted, it didnt take long at all to put my phone back to how it was before.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Anything on your sd like your pics and music etc, you can copy onto your pc/mac. Have a look at carbon, it is a great back up tool. When I rooted, it didnt take long at all to put my phone back to how it was before.

I agree. Back up with carbon and unlock now. The longer you go with a Nexus, the more you'll want to install some kind of mod. It's too easy and fun not to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance