Advantages of rooting a nexus?

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I always thought the advantages of rooting (non nexus devices) would be just to get the latest android software on your device since it never got the latest updates. With nexus, updates aren't a problem. So what would be the advantage of rooting a nexus 4? better battery life (if so, how much)? changing the look of the notification bar and on screen buttons? i apologize for my ignorance, but i would like to learn. thanks.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I always thought the advantages of rooting (non nexus devices) would be just to get the latest android software on your device since it never got the latest updates. With nexus, updates aren't a problem. So what would be the advantage of rooting a nexus 4? better battery life (if so, how much)? changing the look of the notification bar and on screen buttons? i apologize for my ignorance, but i would like to learn. thanks.
So that you can add all the custom software out there. Pure google was never meant to be PURE GOOGLE it is a strong basis a canvas to paint on, thats why it is open source so that developers can paint on the canvas. You want to unlock it so you can flash all the great custom software that developers come up with . so that you can fill that blank canvas with color. Pure Google is Vanilla , its plain pizza ... throw some toppings on there and make it delicious :)

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't see the advantages to rooting.
I've gone through all the Nexus phones and the only reason I rooted the Nexus S & GNex was to get the Yakju version installed since I got them from Canada & didn't want to wait for Samsung to push the updates.

Other than that, most of what custom ROMs offer such as toggles & Lockscreens I've already spent money purchasing Apps to do.
Admittedly there's a few things I can't do like:
-change the kernel/radio
-change the overall color
-adjust the screen settings
-overclock it
But I've yet to find an App that makes me say "Damn, I wish I had rooted my Nexus!"
If that day comes, sure - I'm not against it so I'll do it. Until then though I'm perfectly happy & satisfied with stock & getting the updates without any problems.

Also, I go through 3-4 devices a year so I don't need to worry about lacking performance.

Only thing I plan to do is put Ubuntu onto my GNex in a couple months when available.

So, all that said - if you
-haven't spent much money on Apps to customize
-don't mind having to get updates on your own (from the ROM Developer)
-keep your phone 2-3years
-don't mind some games & Apps not working properly
-get bored easily & like to tinker
-have a backup device just in case
Then go for it.
For me, personally, I've just got no use for it on my daily driver.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You can install more apps because you have more flexibility and you can customize your android more from this.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So that you can add all the custom software out there. Pure google was never meant to be PURE GOOGLE it is a strong basis a canvas to paint on, thats why it is open source so that developers can paint on the canvas. You want to unlock it so you can flash all the great custom software that developers come up with . so that you can fill that blank canvas with color. Pure Google is Vanilla , its plain pizza ... throw some toppings on there and make it delicious :)

Pure Google was meant to be tasty and enjoyable for the masses, the majority of whom will never root. It's not plain pizza, but rather a 'deluxe' pizza. The advantage of rooting is being able to substitute / add toppings.

vNaK

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I too was wondering what advantages rooting would give me. The main big one would be to use custom roms for me. as that would effect my user experience the most. But I ended up installing Nova launcher and a few other apps and am quite happy with what I got. I still want to try rooting and someday I might finally jump on it when I have enough reasons to.

When you guys said more apps what kind of apps you guys talking about? There are so many apps out in the play store right now, so what specific apps would make one person go to rooting for these apps?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
App + data backup is my main advantage of rooting.

I dont change kernel.overclock or change hardware settings

This, although the important apps I use either have their own backup system or use cloud storage. Games are about the only thing that app data backup is useful for in my experience.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
what advantages does the custom software bring over the stock software?

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
-don't mind having to get updates on your own (from the ROM Developer)
if you root, the updates from google are meaningless to you? you have to wait for the ROM developer to release his/her own updates?

- - - Updated - - -

When you guys said more apps what kind of apps you guys talking about? There are so many apps out in the play store right now, so what specific apps would make one person go to rooting for these apps?
this

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
App + data backup is my main advantage of rooting.

I dont change kernel.overclock or change hardware settings

can you be more specific as to what apps you backup? can you do a backup up of your whole layout/theme without having to restore widgets or change wallpaper?

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You can do this with backup apps I believe, but I also think replacement launchers (like Nova Launcher) can do this as well.
nova does most but not all. you still have to "tap to restore" for each widget and it doesnt restore the wallpaper. still pretty good though, i was just wondering if rooted users can make an app do everything for them.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
if you root, the updates from google are meaningless to you? you have to wait for the ROM developer to release his/her own updates?...

If you're using a custom ROM - unless you unroot & return to stock, yup the OS updates pushed out by Google won't work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Rooting gives you more customization options and the ability to use custom roms and kernels. It definitely has its advantages but I'm keeping this thing stock, I'm happy with stock Android and i'm kinda sick of rom switching and crack flashing. Besides I got my Nexus 7 rooted, so I can play with custom roms on it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Go to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus rooting section and look for the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Gnex" sticky. It has a great explanation of ROMs and kernels and the concepts apply to the Nexus 4 as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Google is a big corporate machine, so changes that they either want to do or need to do move slowly. The ROM/kernel developers can deal with bug fixes (things like, but not limited to wifi connectivity, wakelock issues, UI issues, overall battery life, and on and on) faster.

As far as ROM vs kernels go, I've read it described as the kernel is like the engine in your car. It's what makes it go and determines how quickly it does it. The ROM is the body...your UI that tells the engine how to run.

As far as backing up goes, nothing is a more complete backup than a nandroid backup, and the only way to do one is by being rooted. Nandroid backups allow you to switch between ROMs in a matter of a few minutes. Right now, your Nexus is new, so it's both fun and satisfying. 6 months from now, you might start getting board with it. If you start playing around with ROMs, it's kind of like getting a whole new device. This holds you over until the next Nexus is released.

Whether you decide to root or not, you should at least unlock your bootloader as soon as possible (because you loose everything that one and only time). If you never decide to root, that's fine. But, if you do decide to root after you've had the phone for months, you'll loose all that stuff you've accumulated on the device when you unlock it. It's best done in the early stages of having the phone.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Google is a big corporate machine, so changes that they either want to do or need to do move slowly. The ROM/kernel developers can deal with bug fixes (things like, but not limited to wifi connectivity, wakelock issues, UI issues, overall battery life, and on and on) faster.

As far as ROM vs kernels go, I've read it described as the kernel is like the engine in your car. It's what makes it go and determines how quickly it does it. The ROM is the body...your UI that tells the engine how to run.

As far as backing up goes, nothing is a more complete backup than a nandroid backup, and the only way to do one is by being rooted. Nandroid backups allow you to switch between ROMs in a matter of a few minutes. Right now, your Nexus is new, so it's both fun and satisfying. 6 months from now, you might start getting board with it. If you start playing around with ROMs, it's kind of like getting a whole new device. This holds you over until the next Nexus is released.

Whether you decide to root or not, you should at least unlock your bootloader as soon as possible (because you loose everything that one and only time). If you never decide to root, that's fine. But, if you do decide to root after you've had the phone for months, you'll loose all that stuff you've accumulated on the device when you unlock it. It's best done in the early stages of having the phone.

thanks, this was informative. so if my layout in nova/apex included UCCW/minimalistic text widgets, and did a nandroid backup, it would restore everything, even the wallpaper?

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Ad-away is a very useful root app. I've been using it for just a couple weeks now but it's great. Any app that you have that is the "free" version with ads. Will have those ads remove, also the web browser will run a bit faster because there are less ads.

Beats audio is another good root app. The Nexus 7 has pretty bad sound, but with the beats app it makes it a bit better and easier to listen to.

Then there is stickmount to let you use external drives.

And of course titaniumbackup

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax