Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By squirrelproductions
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default After 45 days with N4, I now want to root. Is there a way to save most if not all apps/data?

Ironically, the main reason I want to root now is to be able to have full backups. I've read a couple of posts here and there stating that I will NOT be able to backup then restore ALL my apps/data. I wouldn't mind having to restore a subset of apps (namely paid apps) manually, but would I be able to backup then restore the data for those apps?

Anyone have a pointer on a guide/tutorial on unlocking and rooting after you've had your phone for a while i.e. have lots of data on it?

ROM
    CM10

Default Re: After 45 days with N4, I now want to root. Is there a way to save most if not all apps/data?

I think you may be confused with the processes of unlocking and rooting. While most people who mess with their phones will unlock the bootloader and root their phone, it doesn't mean that these 2 things have to happen together. It's possible to unlock the bootloader without rooting and possible to root without unlocking the bootloader.

Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data. Rooting does not.

So just root and then install Titanium Backup to backup your apps/data.

Just a personal tip: From experience, I've never had problems with restoring apps. Restoring data sometimes causes weird bugs. Most of the time it works just fine but I'd rather be safe so I never restore app data.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: After 45 days with N4, I now want to root. Is there a way to save most if not all apps/data?

You cannot root without unlocking the bootloader, and the unlocking step will wipe everything. Fortunately you only have to unlock once and it will stay that way unless you manually chose to re-lock it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Give these a try...backup w/out root.

[BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

I ended up using to backup and restore (most) of my settings, apps and data. As I had read elsewhere and expected, my paid apps were not restored from the backup; I manually re-installed these apps. I was a little impatient on the restore a couple of times and interrupted the restore somehow. After a couple of tries and leaving my phone alone for about 30-45 minutes during the restore, I was finally able to restore (most) of my settings, apps and data.

Lesson learned: unlock my next phone as soon as I get it before doing anything else substantial on it.
    ConTejas likes this.

For anybody else also reading this thread and needing a backup solution that doesn't require Root, here's a recently announced one:

Direct link to developer's page: