1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 and AOSP

Hi all,

I know the N4 has enough source code in AOSP and elsewhere to be able to build an AOSP ROM, but it doesn't quite seem "official" and doesn't offer that undeniable security of "Nexus support" that many have come to know and love. Now, I know people have said it's due to the Qualcomm chip being so new that it would take time to officially work it in, and that it'll likely come around with 4.2.2. Even still, I'm paranoid (just having bought an N4 myself). Is anyone else worried about the N4's future? Or is it just buyer's paranoia?

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this!

Default Re: Nexus 4 and AOSP

I think you are just paranoid. if you think it this way, none of the phones out there is supported in AOSP except nexus but still you see all custom roms build.

even though it not aosp supported all the binaries needed are released and can be easily used to build ROMS. cyanogenmod for example
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Nexus 4 and AOSP

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    I think you are just paranoid. if you think it this way, none of the phones out there is supported in AOSP except nexus but still you see all custom roms build.

even though it not aosp supported all the binaries needed are released and can be easily used to build ROMS. cyanogenmod for example
    Yeah, I don't doubt external developer support, I was referring to AOSP support. I know it can be done without it for sure, but it would seem to be that phones that have all the code necessary to have them function properly open sourced (AOSP) makes it easier for developers to develop for it, and thus it will likely have longer support.