Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I found some hidden backup files eating up my storage space.

Not sure if this was a glitch on my N4, or if others may see this as well, but my sd card storage was just about completely full the other day, even though I had deleted a bunch of extra stuff as well as some unused apps. The problem I ran into surfaced after I cut and pasted some twrp and cwm nandroid backups I had made from the phones sd card to my pc. After the backups had been removed and the directories were showing up as empty when the phone was plugged into my pc (using windows file explorer), the sd card storage was still near full. I launched RootExplorer on the phone and found huge backup files for both twrp and cwm still there, but in a different location. They were located in the /data/media/twrp and /data/media/clockworkmod dirs, respectively. Whether this /data/media... dir is what the phone actually views as your virtual sd card or not, these backup files should not have been there after I removed them from the sd card. After deleting them, I've now got an extra 6 gig of free space (your mileage may very depending on what backups have been performed).
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Default Re: I found some hidden backup files eating up my storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Not sure if this was a glitch on my N4, or if others may see this as well, but my sd card storage was just about completely full the other day, even though I had deleted a bunch of extra stuff as well as some unused apps. The problem I ran into surfaced after I cut and pasted some twrp and cwm nandroid backups I had made from the phones sd card to my pc. After the backups had been removed and the directories were showing up as empty when the phone was plugged into my pc (using windows file explorer), the sd card storage was still near full. I launched RootExplorer on the phone and found huge backup files for both twrp and cwm still there, but in a different location. They were located in the /data/media/twrp and /data/media/clockworkmod dirs, respectively. Whether this /data/media... dir is what the phone actually views as your virtual sd card or not, these backup files should not have been there after I removed them from the sd card. After deleting them, I've now got an extra 6 gig of free space (your mileage may very depending on what backups have been performed).
    You might have had the wrong (an old) version of TWRP installed. I thought there was a problem like this with early versions. It's been corrected though.
    It should have been in /data/media/0/ whatever.
    Could be wrong.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by digitalslacker View Post
    You might have had the wrong (an old) version of TWRP installed. I thought there was a problem like this with early versions. It's been corrected though.
    It should have been in /data/media/0/ whatever.
    Could be wrong.
    It wasn't in /data/media/0... definitely in the /data/media.... dir. In addition to the twrp dir, the clockworkmod dir also had the backup files, even though I had deleted them from the sd card (in both the twrp and clockworkmod dirs). Maybe something squirrely with just my phone, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

This may be a good time to ask where the backup files are in my phone? I did it using a toolkit..
    And they aren't in the folder you guys mentioned before, all I have is media/ but no further than that