- 2 Posts
noob questions about my device, unlocking etc.
My brand new N4 arrived today and not wanting to make the same mistakes that I did with my Hero I've made an account on the forums .
To cut to the chase, I would like to root/unlock or whatever it is called my phone to be able to install different ROMs, I love it but I already miss some small functionality of the Htc Sense (which was really well designed, i'm starting to see now).
I'm not asking for the same answers that you guys have probably given times and times again just some pointers in the right direction, I can find my way pretty easily from there.
I've found this thread, really nice, Leroy's Nexus 4 Must Haves - Initial Setup on what you need if you want to play with your phone and some questions popped up. I'll also start reading the root FAQ at the bottom of the forums (this thing is huge ) but bear with me.
1) As i've said the N4 is about 8 hours old and I already have the option of upgrading to 4.2.1 . If I do this will I be able to unlock it properly with those tools listed above ?
2) What is the part that erases all the data in the phone, the rooting part or the installation of the new ROM ? From the little that i've been able to put together it seems to be the former. So after I become a poweruser I can start putting in all the apps I want and personalizing it without the fear of losing it all when flashing a new ROM or should I wait until the ROM is installed ?
3) After I switch to custom ROMs I will be at the "mercy" of their respective developers for when an update arrives ? There won't be any more OTA updates from Google I presume ?
4) Do I need to install the SDK if I download the toolkit linked above. I think i'll do it anyway but just curious.
5) read some things about the bootloader being unsafe after this procedure. Should I worry or should I read more about it and not worry ?
- 02-11-2013, 11:44 AM #2
- By jontalk in forum AT&T Galaxy S3Replies: 14Last Post: 08-15-2012, 12:55 AM
- By Coopsachillin#AC in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 1Last Post: 08-16-2010, 05:59 PM
- By jerparker in forum Motorola Droid XReplies: 2Last Post: 07-17-2010, 07:30 PM
- By sardine314 in forum Motorola Droid Rooting, ROMs and HacksReplies: 9Last Post: 06-04-2010, 08:52 PM
- By Setite in forum HTC EVO 4GReplies: 36Last Post: 05-28-2010, 06:26 PM