1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 game controller compatibility?

I've been enjoy my brand new Nexus 4 for about a week now but noticed for games/emulators/onlive I would much rather have a gamepad. I've read about connecting a ps3 controller as this would be optimal for me(I own several) but i would rather not root my device. i've been looking at several gamepads (PlayPad,Onlive wireless,gamestop tablet pad) but I'm really unsure of compatibility. If anyone has had luck (good or bad) please share your wisdom. id rather not blow money on a bunch of pads that wont work. I really like the portability of the Playpad so im kinda leaning that way any one tried it.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Nexus 4 game controller compatibility?

Well judging by the views and the lack of responses i'm assuming a lot of people are wondering this as well so i'm going to go ahead and start buying these controllers one by one until I find one that works. I'll start with the Nyko Playpad (as this is the most portable) and i'll post my findings in a week or so after i get one shipped here. Again though if any one has input please feel free to let me know.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ok so got my Nyko Playpad today. No real issues pairing it, it showed up just fine without installing there app. Used it in a different emulators but noticed a couple things. First off some buttons are just not map-able. Select sends you back to the android home screen, l2 and r2 do nothing. I've tried ps1, nes. snes and got the same results. Onlive works kinda. In the onlive menus it works great but once i boot in to game I have no control. I'll update one I get a better understanding of there "Playground" app and if it adds any functionality.
    As far as feel goes, although its a little crammed its very usable. The matte texture is nice but the bumps on the analog nubs are a little painful and aren't going to be a long term option stick to the D-pad.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I've now found that the Playground app makes this pad useless. It causes connection issues and the only way to fix it is a complete factory reset. So if your using emulators this might be the pad for you anything else you should look elsewhere.

I want to get a controller for games in the play store more than emulators or onlive. I am also loving the nexus 4,only have had it a couple days and I want to download some fast graphically intense games and see what its got. But I really don't like onscreen controls... Keep this thread/experiment going please.. I hope one of these controllers works great
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I have now found out that my BT connection issues are not the fault of the Playpad but are android 4.2.1 and are not resolved in 4.2.2. In its current state android constantly disconnects Bt gamepads and requires a factory reset to reset the BT unless your device is rooted. I have read 4.1.2 did not have these issues so if you havent updated don't. I will update if this issue gets fixed, but from what i've read in forums it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon. Note that devices can be downgraded with a 4.1.2 image, nexus 4 root kit, and much much more patience than i'm willing to put in to it. So I'm sad to say I will not be testing any more controllers until this issue is fixed.

As a side note after talking to the support people from Nyko, they are supposed to be updating there Playground app to support touch mapping sometime in the near future. So that might add some neat features down the road.

I just wanted to share that I have had a similar experience with the playpad on my Nexus 7. For the record, the Playground app should fix the issue of not being able to map certain buttons to your emulators. The issue with pairing the playpad to your device is definitely 4.2.2 related (the Nyko customer service people say the same thing). Apparently google replaced the BT stack in Android 4.2 with a crappy, buggy one and users are s.o.l. until they release a patch. I am in the same boat with being reluctant to switch back to 4.1.2 but I will update if I find a solution.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Figured I would make a post on here. After months and months with no luck I had just about given up hope but today I bought a Moga Pro. Works perfect with the Nexus 4 in HID mode for all my emulators and regular gamepad mode for all there supported games GTA/MC4/DeadTrigger/NOVA3/Asphalt 7/many others there app is really perfect to use and set up is EASY. Moga pro is definitely the way to go for the N4. Well worth the $50 price tag.

GameStop's Bluetooth controller is only $25 and you don't have to have the MOGA app or any other restrictions, works with hundreds of games, well worth the price. The Bard's Tale is my favorite right now!